DC MD VA Area Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
CAA_Beat :
What's the cost for the fitting? I've been fortunate to play 7 times in the past 3 weeks but feel like I'm leaving some yards on the table. I'll recap my round stats if anyone wants a good laugh or cry...

MDHacker
Well I had a much anticipated driver fitting at Club Champion last night. Only wished the results could have lived up to the hype. First the place is awesome and Buddah (the fitter) couldn't have been more fantastic. I was fit last May by Buddah for irons, so I was a repeat customer and he had a baseline of my stats from then.

But that said, I probably over estimated how ready my swing was to go through such an exhaustive and detailed fitting. I won’t bore you all with all the numbers and pitiful results…ha. But when the fitter decides it’s best we call it quits an hour into the session and tells you to come back in a couple weeks, after I have hit about 500 balls and gotten my body used to hitting a golf ball again (I had not hit a real shot since last September, minus a few swings in the Golfsmith simulator the past week).

It’s not like I was topping or shanking them, I was actually making solid contact and the first 10 balls I hit with my current driver Optiforce 460 were pretty decent. Although he said we’d be able to improve on those numbers, based on the height of my shots and the spin.

Over the next hour we tried the FlyZ, Aeroburner, G30 and XR and a multitude of different shafts. None of them bettered my current driver by anything significant.

The two issues remained my high (3600’ish) spin and a slight negative angle of attack; this is what perplexed him as I didn't have anything near negative (on drivers) last time. But he said, my body is just not used to hitting golf shots yet.

He made me promise not to buy anything in the next couple weeks, and come back preferably on a Saturday morning where I’m fresh and haven’t worked all day. I do plan to go to the Arundel Demo Day and the Wilson event at Golfdom, just to be able to hit a couple drivers that Club Champion doesn't offer
But I was so impressed with his dedication to find what was right for me, and not just try and sell me on something that was giving me 4 extra yards
He didn't charge me for last night, as he said “we’re not done here”. I thought that was an incredible gesture of good service.

I’ll be hitting as many balls as I can the next few weeks, gotta find somewhere that opens at 7:00 on the way to work, I can get at least 30 minutes of range time in. I don’t know if I’ll make it to 500 (he actually wanted a 1,000, but we agreed that wasn't going to happen)

So stay tuned for more to come, but if any of you are considering a fitting, I can’t recommend the place enough. The use Trackman there, so after reading the LM threads the past few days it was cool to see the current version of it. I told him about the discussion on the site and he was pleased to hear everyone thought so highly of Trackman.

As poor as my numbers were (we’re talking 89-90 ss and 210 to 220 distance) I could get lost for hours there hitting balls and seeing all the different things it can tell you. It’s so so much more than just speed, launch angle and spin, as we have read in the threads.

Post via Taptalk

DC MD VA Area Chat

CAA_Beat :
What's the cost for the fitting? I've been fortunate to play 7 times in the past 3 weeks but feel like I'm leaving some yards on the table. I'll recap my round stats if anyone wants a good laugh or cry...

MDHacker

Post via Taptalk

MDH
Apparently no charge if you swing like crap. Ha

Seriously, I think it's $150 for driver.

MDH
Apparently no charge if you swing like crap. Ha

Seriously, I think it's $150 for driver.

$150 for driver, $200 for long clubs(driver,fwy,hy), $350 for full bag

I know it is Masters weekend but is anyone else getting out this weekend? Weather is supposed to be ideal.

Anyone hear had a seemore fitting? Saw a guy is a certified instructor at Waverly Woods.

Anyone hear had a seemore fitting? Saw a guy is a certified instructor at Waverly Woods.
I've had one done yes. And you're corrsct about the guy at Waverly too. CAA_Beat has had some interaction with him.

DC MD VA Area Chat

I've had one done yes. And you're corrsct about the guy at Waverly too. CAA_Beat has had some interaction with him.

Yep. Marc Fine. Very good guy.

I worked with him last year for lessons and will continue this year as well.

We haven't gotten to the putter fitting yet. But it's on the to do list.

So I'm traveling with my dad down to williamsburg, va next week for a guys trip. Since we live in delaware we wanted to stop somewhere next thursday on our way to play. Need some recommendations if we take I95

So I'm traveling with my dad down to williamsburg, va next week for a guys trip. Since we live in delaware we wanted to stop somewhere next thursday on our way to play. Need some recommendations if we take I95
Well since you will be on 50 East heading to DC you might want to check out Renditions in Maryland. Don't know the towns name off the top of my head. Definitely worth a play if you haven't played it. I am sure the MD guys will have some other suggestions as well.

I play the majority of my rounds in VA (the better state).

Well since you will be on 50 East heading to DC you might want to check out Renditions in Maryland. Don't know the towns name off the top of my head. Definitely worth a play if you haven't played it. I am sure the MD guys will have some other suggestions as well.

coming down 95 you have Timers at Troy not far from 95 and rt 100. As mentioned here Renditions in Davidsoville. 15 mins or so from 95 on exit 15. There are several good courses north of Baltimore on 95 bulle rock, grey stone.

Lots of great options not far off 95.
As mentioned

North of Baltimore:

Bulle Rock-Havre DeGrace is one of the best in the state and you'll pay for it...around $135

Mountain Branch-Joppa MD about 3 miles directly off the exit is very underrated and one of the tougher courses around. Great restaurant as well if you want to eat before getting back on the road.

South of Baltimore:

Timbers at Troy- Elkridge solid but not spectacular. Very tight and could be frustrating playing it for the first time.

Renditions-Davidsonville near Route 50 from the shore andabout 10 miles east of Annapolis and about 5 miles off 495 on Route 214
Replica course that has Amen Corner and the TPC Island hole.

South of DC:
Laurel Hills-Lorton Va about 4 miles off I-95. One of the best courses you can play in Northern, Va. It can play long, uphill and tough. But lots of great variety of holes.

Potomac Shores-Dumfries. Brand new course, has gotten rave reviews in all the major magazines. Haven't played it yet. But some here have.

South of Fredericksburg:

Mattaponi Springs-Ruther Glen, exit 104. May be my favorite on the entire list. Just immaculate conditions (usually) no houses on the course (last I played it) every hole is sculpted unto itself among the trees. But not a tight course plenty of room off the tee for the most part. This course is closer to the end of your trip down than any others. So not sure what time you'd hit test area. It's s two hour drive from Baltimore.

Laurel Hills would be a great spot for the VA MD battle

Laurel Hills would be a great spot for the VA MD battle

Yes It would. I've died a slow death on that course before, so why not in THP warfare :)

Yes It would. I've died a slow death on that course before, so why not in THP warfare :)
Haha it has been a while for me playing that course which is a shame because I love close to it. Pohick has become my go to, challenging for my game and cheaper on the weekends.

Haha it has been a while for me playing that course which is a shame because I love close to it. Pohick has become my go to, challenging for my game and cheaper on the weekends.

Yeah it's not cheap for sure. It's been several years for me as well. But I'd gladly make the trip down for a THP Gathering.

My family lives about 20 miles outside of Fredericksburg, VA. I need to watch this thread for gatherings, it would give me a reason to go see my parents. I love Mom and Dad, but the rest of the family drives me absolutely crazy, so I don't go up there as much as I should.

Nice and sunny this morning a little breezy but should be a great day for golf.

It's near Davidsonville, Maryland. It's a great course. I'm actually playing in a charity event there on Monday. It's definitely one of the best courses in the area, and quite unique.

The under armor factory store is loaded with Golf Attire. Running a deal on shorts and polos. 2 for $70

The under armor factory store is loaded with Golf Attire. Running a deal on shorts and polos. 2 for $70

Is that a deal? Genuinely curious. I figure I can get some pretty good stuff from FairwayStyles from boutique lines in the discount section for the same price with the current discount code.

Honestly I don't know. I would have to ask my wife haha. We were over by there and stopped in. Retail for UA shorts are $60+ But they had a decent selection. And I didn't buy anything. No gold shoes at all either.

Gorgeous day out on the course!

d735450ef4596eec27f4e9d10ef7b9bc.jpg

It was spectacular out to play. But wanted to get errands done so I could watch The Masters live.

Way more wind out at Andrews than here in crofton....was shocked when I got to the course.
I've never played there, how crowded is it on the weekends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back