Floppy

Reaction score
Anyone here have an Apple iPhone? After loving my iPod Touch so much, I sold it and bought a used iPhone (not 3G) off of eBay. I'll be using it on T-Mobile which makes it MUCH cheaper...I'm so excited for its arrival!

Anyone have an iPhone?

My wife and I both bought them recently. AMAZING technology!!

My wife and I both bought them recently. AMAZING technology!!

Do you use any sort of case for it? I just bought the InCase Slider, and will be buying the Invisible Shield Protector soon. I might also buy the CaseMate Naked Case.

Spoiler
incase-slider-case-iphone-3g-1.jpg
712_Picture143_1216592207.png

Do you use any sort of case for it? I just bought the InCase Slider, and will be buying the Invisible Shield Protector soon. I might also buy the CaseMate Naked Case.

Spoiler
incase-slider-case-iphone-3g-1.jpg
712_Picture143_1216592207.png

We both are using the InCase Slider- the Apple folks recommended them as offering the best combination of convenience and protection. They said a lot of the softer cases actually don't protect very well, whereas the hard plastic slider sacrifices itself if you drop the phone; the case breaks and the phone remains safe.

I've had mine a bit over a year now. I still like it very much as a compromise. As a pure phone, it really sucks. However, bundle in the iPod capability and the Apps, and I'm a happy camper. I do wish Apple would take some cues from the older Palm OS in terms of application (no real ability to have a task list or store documents).

I have a silicone Spec sleeve/belt clip which may be the worst way of carrying a cell phone I've ever encountered.

I do like my phone very much though.

I do wish Apple would take some cues from the older Palm OS in terms of application (no real ability to have a task list or store documents).

Jailbreak it...much more you can do if you jailbreak it.

To Pinged: How do you like the incase slider? I got it based on the reviews.

Had one for a year and could not stand it. Typing on it for emails was no where near as easy as a blackberry. Using emails in general was no where near as good. Quality browser. Great Software, but for a phone and email, blackberry is a better product.

Had one for a year and could not stand it. Typing on it for emails was no where near as easy as a blackberry. Using emails in general was no where near as good. Quality browser. Great Software, but for a phone and email, blackberry is a better product.

Well yeah, if emailing is a very big part of your job (like my dad's), then the blackberry is a no brainer. My dad still uses the classic big blue blackberry. However, if you don't NEED to email (I have no problems at all emailing?), the iPhone has a lot more capabilities. Like you said, Safari is the best mobile browser I've ever seen. Then add all of the apps, iPod functionality..

Isn't that funny? I owned 3 blackberries; most worthless pieces of cr*p I've ever owned. One lasted 3 weeks and died. The next one lasted 3 months before it died. The last one lasted 13 months and was, of course- out of warranty when it self-destructed. After buying an Iphone I can't imagine ever going back to crackberry. I literally took the third jackberry and threw it in the garbage can.

That said- I agree that the typing takes a bit more effort than the individual keys of a blackberry but the poor reliability that I experienced with Blackberry (not to mention the super-high operating costs) make it a no-brainer for me.

As for the InCase Slider - no complaints. It does what it's supposed to do.

I haven't played around with them lately, but has the iPhone come up with a way of sending a picture message to a phone yet? My friends that had the originals needed an email address to send picture texts.

Beyond that, my fiance and I are coming up on the end of our 2 year contract in July and are starting to look at which phone(s) we're interested in looking at since we'll be able to swap carriers easily at that point (currently T-Mobile). I know a couple people with the G1 and have used and liked it. The iPhone has some really cool apps, but I'm not sold on the touch screen typing yet. The new Blackberry Storm scares me - my partner at work is on her 3rd one since it came out already due to failures.

I guess what we'd be looking for is a phone, full keyboard for texting (hate predictive texting on the Razer!), multimedia capabilities, and internet usage possibly. Any suggestions?

I haven't played around with them lately, but has the iPhone come up with a way of sending a picture message to a phone yet? My friends that had the originals needed an email address to send picture texts.

Beyond that, my fiance and I are coming up on the end of our 2 year contract in July and are starting to look at which phone(s) we're interested in looking at since we'll be able to swap carriers easily at that point (currently T-Mobile). I know a couple people with the G1 and have used and liked it. The iPhone has some really cool apps, but I'm not sold on the touch screen typing yet. The new Blackberry Storm scares me - my partner at work is on her 3rd one since it came out already due to failures.

I guess what we'd be looking for is a phone, full keyboard for texting (hate predictive texting on the Razer!), multimedia capabilities, and internet usage possibly. Any suggestions?

The iPhone. It only took me about 30 minutes to get used to the touch screen typing, and I now type at like 35-40 wpm on the iPod Touch/iPhone. It's really easy and nice once you get used to it.
If you buy a iPhone w/o a contract (look on craigslist, unless you want to spend $350-$600 on eBay), and you can "unlock" it and use it on your current carrier (T-Mobile). Also, if you "jailbreak" the iPhone, there is a program called "SwirlyMMS" which allows you to send picture/video messages. [I am unsure of this. I'll test it out when I get it]

The next software upgrade addresses most issues. MMS support (pics in a text) expanded keyboard (landscaped), etc.... google the 3.0 upgrade it should be out in a couple of months.

All the features that should have been out originally. But better late than never.

95% of the 3.0 upgrade is already there if your phone is jailbroken...

And you lose your warranty. So if they put out an update and you use it and your phone turns into a brick, you are out of luck.

My thoughts exactly JB. I shouldn't HAVE to modify my phone (and void the warranty) in order get either the features I wish it had or use it on the provider I want. The "provider-exclusive" system for the new phones is a massive drag - it's brought a TON of users to AT&T and Sprint due to them being the only place you can get the iPhone and Storm.

Here is my take, I absolutely, positively love the phone...hate the carrier. The phone is insane and as far as people's issues with typing emails etc, once you get used to it you can type really fast. I can type on it as fast as I can on my computer.
However, AT&T is the worst and I have the 3G. Two years with Verizon, not one single dropped call, happens constantly with AT&T. The phone is still worth it though.
You won't have any problems since you are staying on T-Mobile.

What is everyone's favorite app?
Mine: I am heading to Europe soon and there is an app for the Paris subway. I just enter where I want to go and it tells me the best way to get there. I also like Urbanspoon and Pandora.

You won't have any problems since you are staying on T-Mobile..

Actually, I'm not opposed to switching, since contracts will be up and I'll be signing new ones anyways.

My thoughts exactly JB. I shouldn't HAVE to modify my phone (and void the warranty) in order get either the features I wish it had or use it on the provider I want. The "provider-exclusive" system for the new phones is a massive drag - it's brought a TON of users to AT&T and Sprint due to them being the only place you can get the iPhone and Storm.

Storm is on Verizon actually.

Sox,
I had one for slightly over a year and was quite good at typing. BUt when it comes to sending extremely important biz emails, nothing beats tactile keys.

I've got one, and I love it, but unfortunately Alaska doesn't have a 3G network...yet. And I live up on the hillside here, and I get horrible service, so my mom is going to switch me back to a different provider, so I'm not gunna have my iPhone for too much longer.

907, You can use the iPhone on TMobile...you have the iPhone 3G, correct? Are you running 2.2.1, or 2.2 firmware? If it's 2.2, you can jailbreak and unlock it and a TMobile sim will work in it. You will only get EDGE instead of 3G, but it's worth it.

907, You can use the iPhone on TMobile...you have the iPhone 3G, correct? Are you running 2.2.1, or 2.2 firmware? If it's 2.2, you can jailbreak and unlock it and a TMobile sim will work in it. You will only get EDGE instead of 3G, but it's worth it.

I'm 2.2.1 and I'm not gunna jailbreak it, to many risks for my liking. And we don't have T-Mobile here, I'm going to have to switch to a local company, ACS.

Floppy I had an Iphone on Tmobile it was amazing!!!!!! but it decided to go swimming in a glass of sweet tea, which brought me to my blackberry which I have found a love for as well but, be sure you set up your itunes account to where it won't run automatic updates when you plug in

Floppy I had an Iphone on Tmobile it was amazing!!!!!! but it decided to go swimming in a glass of sweet tea, which brought me to my blackberry which I have found a love for as well but, be sure you set up your itunes account to where it won't run automatic updates when you plug in

Why? It won't matter if it upgrades to 2.2.1 because its the iPhone 1st Gen.

@ 907 - You can't unlock it, but there aren't any risks to jailbreaking unless you are REALLY REALLY stupid, which I don't think you are.

Why? It won't matter if it upgrades to 2.2.1 because its the iPhone 1st Gen.

@ 907 - You can't unlock it, but there aren't any risks to jailbreaking unless you are REALLY REALLY stupid, which I don't think you are.

No, jailbreaking voids the warranty, and it makes it easier to get viruses and such on your phone. My friend got an iPhone, jailbroke it, and got a virus the next day. He couldn't send it to Apple because jailbreaking the phone voids the warranty.

Back