Different weight Driver and Fairway shafts

JeffReedMO

Banned
Reaction score
Just wondering how you guys had your fairway shafts set up in comparison to your driver shaft, notably your three wood shaft. I am swinging the Titleist 910D2 with the Mitsubishi 'ahina 72 Stiff in my driver. My current three wood shaft is the same model, but in the 82 Stiff. I have no idea why, but all this time I have been thinking I had a 72 in my three wood, until just now, when I noticed I did not. I haven't liked the way I have hit this three wood since the day I bought it. Before this, I swung an old steel Cleveland Launcher with a TT FairwayLite steel shaft and pardon my french, but I hit the piss out of that thing. The three wood just seems so heavy to me and I do not like the ball flight one bit (too low). I have a Mitsubishi Blue Board driver shaft laying around in 62 Stiff that I am thinking of getting a 910 tip put on and having cut down to a three wood shaft.

I have always heard that you want the same shaft in your three wood that you have in your driver, same weight and such. I want to know how many guys have theirs set up differently and why. I am thinking the lighter shaft in my three wood would help me with getting the ball to launch higher than it is now. Because right now, in comparison to my old Launcher, I feel like I am swinging a tree trunk.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Gracias!

My driver is 52 grams (D3), my 3 wood is 61 grams (D1), my hybrids are 108 grams (D1) and my irons are 108 gram (D0).

I have had exactly the same shaft in my 3W and driver for several years now and it definitely helps with consistency, be interesting to see what others think.

If I made the change I am pondering, I would be rolling 72 in the driver and 62 in the three wood. I am interested to see if anyone else has a lighter shaft in their three wood than they do in the driver and what their thoughts are.

Driver shaft is 60gram, FW is 70gram and Hybrid is 80gram. That is the setup now but I plan on switching 3 woods so im not sure exactly what shaft I will go with, should still be in the 70gram range though.

Driver is 64, Woods are 72, hybrid is 105. Each of the three had different model shafts. Most of the pros I have talked to about shafts say that it is a misconception that you need the same shaft in all of your woods, and that you should play what is comfortable regardless of the other clubs, which is absolutely right IMO.

Having the same weight shaft in the driver and woods is not important to me. Not sure any OEM's make them stock that way. Swing weight is more important to me. I like the clubs to feel nearly the same, but they don't have to weigh the same to do that.

The same weight is not important, the same flex and profile is important. At least to me it is. Otherwise I am hitting my 3 wood too high or too low or vice versa with my driver, I try to keep my swing as close to the same with both as possible.

My fitter recommended the same shaft in my driver, 3-wood and 5-wood--Aldila RIP Alpha 70. I took his advice and couldn't be happier. I was fortunate in that Titleist offered the shaft as a no-charge option. He, recommended different shafts for the hybrids, and still a different shaft for my irons. I'm still working on changing those over. Not so lucky on these as they all will require an up-charge.

Back