What drives you to keep playing?

Initially I was driven to just become a good enough golfer I would not embarrassed myself playing with better players, and just be the best I could be. Still the case to some extent. Fortunately, I have always enjoyed the process of practicing and learning. Now I have at least progressed to the point that I want to enjoy playing the game and enjoy the friendships and acquaintances you make along the way. Sometimes that means accepting the grief from your playing partners when one of those inevitable crazy bad shots occur. Of course I can give as good as I get in those instances as well. Trying to stay on the plus side of the give/take ledger does motivate me to keep working on it also.

I just love the challenge it gives me. No two games are the same. And also getting out in the fresh air with mates and leaving the stresses of normal life for a few hours.

A game you can never master...with my personality.. I like to finish things, and have a feeling like " I'm done, task completed,,game over". You just can't get this with golf..never ending ..and you can never master it. If it was easy, most of us wouldn't be playing it. The most frustrating...nerve racking game ever created.. That we all love..

can't wait to get out there again and cuss at myself for hitting it in the water or ob again..

I just love the challenge it gives me. No two games are the same. And also getting out in the fresh air with mates and leaving the stresses of normal life for a few hours.

This is exactly the same for me, and if you shoot a PB while you are out there, it just makes the day even better

Besides just being fun, it's the competition between you and the golf course, golf course usually wins but I keep coming back.

Passion of the game for me. I enjoy getting out with friends and enjoying the day away from the house. When you retire in your upper years you have to have a hobby or something you enjoy to keep you busy. I've always had a love for golf even through the down times. I keep plugging away because that one good shot always brings ya back :thumb:

Everything I do I want to do well, so golf is one of those things that seems to always keep me interested and motivated. No matter how good you get, you can always find something to get better at and that's something I really enjoy.

I want to get better and I want to compete. My immediate goal is to win the club championship. 9 years running it has been won by two guys, they go back and forth. Time for a new king.

I'm driven to find as much enjoyment in this game as possible. That could be winning a match 2 and 1, a solitary nine, getting together with a bunch of THP'rs at an invitational, playing with my regular group or just talking golf here on the forums. It's the enjoyment for me. I like to try to find it in golf.

JM

i think its the quest to get better. i love seeing ball flight when you hit a small ball 200 yds and it lands less then 10 ft from where you want it to go.

I am driven by the time spent with my brothers on the course, the time spent with my nieces and nephew Learning the game on the driving range and during twilight on the course, and by the 5-6 perfect shots I hit on the golf course that shows that I am able to hit the shot I need and want if I manage just yo get out of my own way!

For having fun reason, for health reason, for exercise reason, thats all.

Friendship and the eternal internal competition!

I genuinely enjoy the game regardless of how I play. I also live for the internal competition. And now my 8 year old is playing regularly with me so that makes it even better.

my wife

It's fun. There's other things, like getting better, the challenge, the camaraderie, yada yada, but really, it just all boils down to that I enjoy it. If it stopped being fun, I'd stop playing.

#Redemption

Who doesn't look forward to another four hours of goofing off in the sun? In addition to that, my buddies have been instrumental in keeping my interest. One of them is my official golf pimp, who keeps me updated on all upcoming games.

getting that 1 perfect shot a round keeps me coming back for more.

Improving and shooting new PBs.

the drive to improve, and to play to what i (very likely unreasonably) believe to be my potential. there's some vanity in there as well. i don't like the idea of sucking any worse than i do at something i spend a lot of time doing. and the immense satisfaction from hitting a shot exactly as intended. the "squishy" feel at impact, the look of the ball in flight, and the effortlessness of the well-sequenced swing.

The chance to break Par one day, even if it is a short easy course. Seems to be almost impossible, but just one day where all swing things come together and the putts drop....maybe just maybe the next round will be it.

The chance to break Par one day, even if it is a short easy course. Seems to be almost impossible, but just one day where all swing things come together and the putts drop....maybe just maybe the next round will be it.
Thats pretty much how it happened for me. One day the sky parts, all things are right, and it just happens. I almost felt like a spectator watching it happen. It will happen for you, no doubt.

Shooting even par.
Another HOI.
Needint to clear my head from all the snakes in it.
Really, for me, walking around a golf course, hitting balls is a perfect activity.

Back