2015 POY - Spieth or Day?

• Jordan Spieth

Votes: 95 59.4%
  • Jason Day

Votes: 65 40.6%

• Total voters
Crazy that both could be true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Switch the argument now- and I don't know the answer to this. Has anyone not won POY while winning 2 majors ?

I'd argue the logic is heavily in favour of the multiple-major-winner, which I find a bit silly considering it's a year long award (or is supposed to be).

Surely Vijay won 5 in a year during Tiger's dominant stretch...

His best year was 9 total wins. 2004. He won POY that year.

Poll is split 43 to 43 right now. Crazy.

During Tiger's huge run, Vijay Singh won POY in the year he had the 9 wins. Think it was 2004.

Which is also nuts. 9 wins?

I'd argue the logic is heavily in favour of the multiple-major-winner, which I find a bit silly considering it's a year long award (or is supposed to be).

His best year was 9 total wins. 2004. He won POY that year.

Bananas. 9 wins

I don't think Tiger won any that year. Again - quick google search

Its kind of crazy to think about, but I believe the POY has also been the person with the most wins in a year for a while (or tied). However I also think it has been the person with two majors.

Its kind of crazy to think about, but I believe the POY has also been the person with the most wins in a year for a while (or tied). However I also think it has been the person with two majors.

So nuts that one won't win. Have they ever split the award?

Majors, what?

Tiger 2004 on my phone at school- didn't see any majors that year

This isn't #TheGrandaddy. Can't just add a spot because of a tie :alien:

Awesome tie in my dude

multiple majors seems to cancel anything else out. 2008 Paddy won POY while Tiger won 3 tourneys + a major. So if 2 wins (both majors) beats 4 wins (1 major), then I would think the PGA will hand it to Spieth no matter what, even if Day wins the Tour Championship.

His only win in 2004 was the Accenture Match Play.

That's what I came up with too. Thanks.

multiple majors seems to cancel anything else out. 2008 Paddy won POY while Tiger won 3 tourneys + a major. So if 2 wins (both majors) beats 4 wins (1 major), then I would think the PGA will hand it to Spieth no matter what, even if Day wins the Tour Championship.

This was kind of my gut reaction, though that is known to be wrong haha

It's pretty cool to me that we are having this argument. 2 young guys went out there and had phenomenal season, either one of these guys would be a lock in the vast majority of season.

I just hope next year that Rory, Spieth, Day, and Fowler all win a major so this thread in 2016 can go crazy haha.

It's pretty cool to me that we are having this argument. 2 young guys went out there and had phenomenal season, either one of these guys would be a lock in the vast majority of season.

Totally agree. Like you said any other year - guaranteed in either direction

Speith for me. I love Jason Day but I don't think he matches up to 2 majors. its easy to forget just how great Speith was playing for 3/4 of the year with all that is happening with Day right now.

Lets not forget as well that in the other two majors he came 2nd (PGA) and tied for 4th (the open). For me he was the dominant player of 2015.

Does this become an argument of degree? As in how much they won by or their performances with wins? Like what was said earlier- Speith was kind of gifted one of the majors..... Not taking anything away just trying to figure this out in my head

Spieth, two majors seals the deal for me even if Day wins this week.

Does this become an argument of degree? As in how much they won by or their performances with wins? Like what was said earlier- Speith was kind of gifted one of the majors..... Not taking anything away just trying to figure this out in my head

For some (Dan and I that I can tell) yes. But a lot seem to believe that the sheer act of winning 2 majors gives you POY. I still think 1 major, plus 5 other wins (if Day wins the tour championship too) should give him POY. That would be 3 wins over the strongest fields of 2015, plus a major, plus 2 other wins vs. decent fields (RBC Canadian and Farmers...eh, iffy on the Farmers front). I think that body of work is better than the Masters, a sloppy putting job by DJ on the 18th for the US Open, and 2 wins in low quality fields that went to playoffs.

I just think 6 wins gets it. I don't really care that Spieth had 2 majors. Now if Spieth wins the Tour Championship, his no doubt. But if neither win, I still think you can argue it both ways.

Back