Is golf too easy?

Golf can be really hard, but sometimes golf is easy. Golf is a sport that can bring my friends back home and we can play a "competitive" round and have a ton of fun. Those are the days it is easy. We might not play well, but just hanging out with friends is the best part.

It took arguably the greatest player ever two years to learn a new swing. With incredible world class instructors, facilities and personalized equipment at his beck and call. 'nuff said.

As I thought about this more golf is a very debilitating sport. It can take the wind right out of you when you try and practice so hard and yet someone who puts in half the work can come out and do just as well or better, or take to the game faster than you can. The only thing I can think of that is more debilitating is running marathons. You can be younger and in way better shape and more athletic but this old guy or woman runs right past you. It takes a strong mental game to not let something like this bother you and golf is right there with it.

Even if I play well, I never consider the game easy. That's because I am constantly aware that hitting something really fat or flipping my wrists and hitting an iron OB is just around the bend. It's the only sport I have ever played seriously where I have never become unconsciously competent.

If easy is defined as "physically flailing at a small round object while mentally processing a million swing thoughts"...yeah, it's easy.

tequila4kapp that was his decision, he didn't have to change his swing either time. The resson(in my opinion) why he wins is his determination and short game and especially his putting and I don't remember him getting a short game or putting lesson.I could be wrong.

Last edited:
I would answer yes and no. Golf is awesome because you can be just as competitive as you want. If all you want is to go out, enjoy the outdoors, and get a bit of exercise, than it is easy. If you want to try and break par, or get a new personal best, or something similar, it might as well be as hard as doing a Rubix Cube blindfolder and with your feet after somebody scrambled it up really badly.

pellynch14 everything you mention is in your control. At least your reaction to it is, you are to concerned with the other guy and what and how he is doing it. I believe you are a teacher, what if you came in and told the kids everything you were going to cover in the year without the roadmap to get there. Do you think that would discourage them a little. We have all of pandora's box open in golf and we have to be able to take advantage of what we can use and throw the rest out or at least wait until we are more proficient with it. Just my take.

Last edited:
Kobey you kill me. The point of the game is lower scores!

See, that's what I mean. That's the point of the game for you. For me, it's not so simple. I know that no one has ever mastered golf, and I also know that I'll probably never even shoot par. I'm fine with that, so it takes a lot of pressure off my game. I'm free to try whatever strikes my fancy. If lower scores were my only goal, there are plenty of ways I could accomplish that, with lessons, course management, more practice, different clubs etc...

I took up golf for the challenge the entire game represents. Score is secondary to me right now. So I never get frustrated or angry on the course. I don't mind giving up some shots if I learn something or just want to try something new. I can have just as good a day shooting a 120 as I can shooting a 90 and that's the way I like it. If I'm going to spend this much money and time on a hobby, I want to enjoy myself. So far, I've never even been tempted to throw a club. How many people that are focused solely on score can say that?

Don't get me wrong, when it's time to be competitive and try to play my best I can do so. It just isn't my objective all the time. I guess I'm just not normal.

There is no challenge if you are not trying to score better, or out drive someone or at least beat your personal best or just maybe hit the ball more solid. Again just my take. If you are not trying to get lower scores why even keep score.

When a pro is playing good it looks easy
But for me no way is it to easy if it was i would be on tour

No way is it too easy! I can't think of any other thing I have ever done that I haven't gotten good at with practice except this game. I've improved and fallen off the wagon then got back on where I fell off.

There are so many aspects to this game that I think you can always look back on a round and pick out the mistakes as well as the good. Even on a PB round there is still room to improve.

Playing the game is not hard playing the game well is a whole different story.

Golf is mucho hard! I played just about every sport there is and most at a pretty high level....but golf is hard as hell!

It seems so easy on TW 2014. For me on the course, Now Way! Always fun though, and hey after a few good beers it may feel easier

I almost choked when I read the title of this thread.

Why do THPers ask these questions if golf is not to easy. some example questions and statements
Do adjustable drivers hide swing flaws?
When should I go to players irons?
If I can't hit driver every hole I feel disappointed in myself.
I feel I learn more shots if I put myself in poor situations and if I can't hit every golf shot a pro can then I must not be a golfer.

Last edited:
Steel President, But did you read below the title?

Golf is the hardest thing I've ever done.

I sure hope not Damaikis!

he..he!

I sure hope not Damaikis!

I think it is. I've never really had to do anything that hard.

And by staying away from women I keep it that way.

Sounds like you've lived a pretty sweet life, so far.

Golf has gotten easier since I began playing the game fifty or so years ago. It is still not easy.

There is no challenge if you are not trying to score better, or out drive someone or at least beat your personal best or just maybe hit the ball more solid. Again just my take. If you are not trying to get lower scores why even keep score.

I'm not very good at getting my point across in written format but I'll try again. The things you mentioned above are all things I try to do at one time or another, but I don't concentrate on just one of them. I do whatever feels right and sounds like fun at the time. It isn't that I don't want to improve and shoot lower scores, I just don't need to do it quickly. I figure if I keep playing, I'll eventually improve.

Here's an example of the way I think. When Sergio hit that ball out of the tree last weekend, I looked at it and thought, "What a lucky guy. I hope I get to try that someday".

one minute you can look like Tiger Woods and the next minute look like his mother

Back