Lie angles, how accurate is Ping Webfit?

Tysdad

Reaction score
Handicap
So I'm the proud owner of 714 AP2s and LOVE them! I have 5 rounds on them and 80 is my highest score. I was custom fit for them and I think the shaft was a perfect match, however I'm not so sure about the lie angle. I was fit for 2 degrees flat and I certainly saw decent results on simulator even though I've never played irons with a flat lie angle. After five rounds I can say that although I have hit some really quality shots, I have hit more fat shots than I'm used to...a few where the club would actually stick in the ground at impact. It seems to happen more with the shorter clubs, I'm wondering if this is an indication of too flat lie angles.

Before i bought the AP2s I was considering Pings so I went through the Webfit online and came out at Blue dot, .75 upright. I'm curious how accurate the static fitting is. I'm sure it's a starting point, but I think 2.75 degree difference is more than fine tuning.

my plan is to bad them more upright, but wonder how much too go up at first. Your suggestions or comments?

Thanks!

Did you have the lie angles checked when the clubs arrived to make sure they were correct?

Well the lie angle on an i25 6i is 61.5 and the lie of the AP2 lie angle is 62.5, meaning the stock i25 is flatter than the AP2 by 1*. There is more to lie angle fitting than just height and wrist to floor, posture, AoA, swing path will all play a roll.

Did you get fit to other than stock length? This could be partially the cause, if your still adjusting to the new specs.

By lie charts I should be 2 up, but got fitted to 2 flat. A lot depends on your swing plane. I was hooking my old irons that were 2 up but don't hook the flat irons at all. So I would trust the lie board a lot more then a static chart.

Trust your fitter.

Don't trust the chart imo. It says I should be crazily upright.

Don't trust the chart imo. It says I should be crazily upright.

Agreed, mine says I should actually be 2 flat when I've been fit to 2 up (2.25 up in PING).

Go get fit if you can, most places have a PING cart.

The Ping chart is just a starting point for a fitter. The dynamic lie angle (@ impact) may not be the same as your static lie angle. Trust your fitter.

As mentioned, standard lie angles are different from manufacturer to manufacturer. Also hitting a fat shot has nothing to do with the lie angle of the club. It's the ol' indian not the arrow thing... sry ;)

The chart is just a starting point. I mess around with their fitting app a lot and they say that I should be playing Green dots at 1 inch over standard. That is nowhere near what my specs read when I check everything on a lie board.

About as good as any static fitting can be

By static fitting i am +1/2" 3 up
Swing fitting +1" 2 Up

So I'm the proud owner of 714 AP2s and LOVE them! I have 5 rounds on them and 80 is my highest score. I was custom fit for them and I think the shaft was a perfect match, however I'm not so sure about the lie angle. I was fit for 2 degrees flat and I certainly saw decent results on simulator even though I've never played irons with a flat lie angle. After five rounds I can say that although I have hit some really quality shots, I have hit more fat shots than I'm used to...a few where the club would actually stick in the ground at impact. It seems to happen more with the shorter clubs, I'm wondering if this is an indication of too flat lie angles.

Before i bought the AP2s I was considering Pings so I went through the Webfit online and came out at Blue dot, .75 upright. I'm curious how accurate the static fitting is. I'm sure it's a starting point, but I think 2.75 degree difference is more than fine tuning.

my plan is to bad them more upright, but wonder how much too go up at first. Your suggestions or comments?

Thanks!

Lie angle shouldn't have much to do with a case of the chunks. You can chunk toe first (too flat) just as easily as you can chunk heel first (too upright). It's more likely that your new clubs are a tad longer than your old ones (as almost all new clubs are longer in stock config than older ones) and you're visually standing at your same old distance from the ball and swinging a stick that's 1/2" longer than you think. Don't worry, you'll adjust.

Look at your divots and your shot directions to see if your lie angles need adjusting. If you hood too many shots left of your perceived aiming point, you're probably too upright. If you hit too many shots right of your aim point and your divots are toe-deep slashes, you need to bend upright.

I buy a lot of Pings online and I simply never trust the dot they are painted with. I always check them again. They are different over half the time. For other brands, I try to get clubs that are a the same shaft length that I'm used to, then I just take them out and just see what happens (I play 1/2" long and 1 degree up in Ping). Sometimes I bend just a few clubs, sometimes I bend the whole set. With my current set, I found that the 3 iron and the wedges were too upright, but everything else played fine. Go figure. It changes with every set and every brand. Trust your divots and shot shape first, and the written specs last.

The problem with the fitting chart and app is that both require you to measure yourself CORRECTLY. Few folks can measure their arm length and fingers to floor properly. Screw those inputs up and your outputs will be off. Get close and then see how they perform on turf. Same goes for the sole-tape on the black rubber mat method of detecting lie angle. I think it sucks. The act of slapping down a hard mat does not approximate good turf interaction. You need to see what your divot looks like as you hit real shots left or right of target.

Back