Together We Change - 2016 Golf Goals

My mental game will be my focus this year. I need to learn to shake off bad shots and forge ahead with the rest of my round. I feel like my swing and scoring will follow a stronger mental game. Some of this will involve managing expectations. I expect every shot to be the best possible shot and that's unrealistic. Managing my mental game will see better rounds in 2016.

I have several goals...

1. Most importantly, play more.
2. Get consistently in the low-mid 80's and break 80 at least once.
3. Short game needs so much improvement.

I really wish we had a decent short game practice area at one of the courses close to me. May have to commit to taking a 30 minute drive once a week somewhere.

1- Eliminate this damn over the top swing!
2- Don't let golf consume so much of my time that it takes away from my family.

Love the concept! I'll put some though to attainable goals over this week and report back.

BREAK 80! #ChangeTheGame

1. Keep on having fun
2. Trust what I have ingrained and let the ball and score speak for itself
3. Go back and repeat 1 + 2

I was lucky enough last year to win my mens league Championship on the handicap side in medal play and match play. So that is goal #1, to defend and win again. #2 will be to lower my handicap by 5, that would get me to single digits. #3 will be to be better in the mental aspect of the game, always staying positive regardless of how the round goes.

My #ChangeTheGame golf goals for 2016:

Unfortunately, my schedule makes me choose between practice and playing, so when I have time to "practice" I would rather be on the course playing. I do however, hope to spend time in the practice bunker more often. My course doesn't have a range, so range time is out. What I would like to see me do this year is as follows:

• Play more. I will be in the Wednesday Mens League again, so that's 20, nine hole rounds. They need players in the Monday morning Senior League, and they dropped the age to 50 for that, so I could get about 25 rounds in there, but I couldn't guarantee them I would play every week. I have a regular job that while I can make my own hours, sometimes I gotta be certain places at certain times during the mornings. A "date night" with Jacqui every week should get me another 20-30 rounds, and my buddy who works a couple of days a week behind the counter will play after he gets off at least one of those days, so that's at least another 20-30. Playing with other course patrons on a once in a while basis could net me another 20-30 rounds a year. So counting 20 Mens League rounds as 10, 18 hole rounds, I want to get in 70 to 100 rounds in 2016. That would be about 2-1/2 to 3 times a week during the times where the weather is decent enough to play.
  • Walk more. We each got a Bag Boy Quad Plus push cart last year but didn't get any use out of them. About the time we got them, the temps got too hot to feel like walking, and the cold and weather came quicker than we wanted. At our course I wouldn't mind walking every round, temps permitting. The couple of times we used our old push carts last year, my back felt great the whole round, because I kept moving most of the time. I think by keeping my back loose by walking, I'll be able to put better swings on, which should help my next goal.
  • Score better. Not spending a lot of time practicing kind of hurts in this goal. But I would like to shoot in the 70s and 80s 2:1 over rounds in the 90s from the whites and blues. I failed to achieve this goal in 2015 and plan on succeeding in 2016.
  • I didn't break 80 from the whites or blues this year, so my PB from those tees is stuck at 79. I'd like to shoot better than that from both of those tees this year. From the Golds, I shot a 74 on a date night with Jacqui, and depending on how often I play from there in 2016, I think a 70 (even par) could be possible. Anything better than a 74 would be nice.
  • I haven't kept my bag the same the whole season in years. Once the season starts (say, April 1), I want to have my bag set for the rest of the year. I should have my XR irons by then. As far as equipment goes, I want to keep the long shaft in the Big Bertha driver and benefit from the extra distance. Early returns since making the switch are good so far, with improved distances and negligible difference in accuracy. I also want to get my new clubs from CPO fit to me by Golf MD, the fitter who fit my Adams testing set to me in 2011.
  • Make a THP event in 2016. This will be easier if there is another KC event, but as long as it is day trip distance, it could hopefully be doable.

I'll probably update this post as I think about it more, but for now, it's good.

#Own125 --I don't know how I will do it yet, or what it will look like. But that is my first goal.

Get out of my own way! -- its my Achilles Heel at this point. I have a good swing, and a poor game.

Have FUN

more practice

less distractions

more rounds w/ THPER"S

Get down to 200 lbs and stay there
Beat Par on one of my regular courses
Get into a Big THP Team Event

Funny man, you assume all my shots on the range work the same, and then that would assume it translates to the course, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try, haha. Well lets get those swings the same on the range as the course :popcorn:

Good stuff Smalls!!

And so much for the theory of those who work golf don't get to play golf. # Mythbusters

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

That is not smallvilles career. It is his wife's, he works in insurance.

That is not smallvilles career. It is his wife's, he works in insurance.
I understand that as he's helped with a lot of insurance questions.

But doesn't he spend a lot of time working there as well? At least that's what I have always understood.

I Could be wrong though.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

As I near retirement age I'm just trying to get back to a single digit handicap (currently a 12). The physical work required for the flexibility and strength, which I don't have, is daunting but I am determined to achieve this in 2016.

#1: Loose weight. I've had a head start since November. My progress has been slow but steady, I can see myself another 15 pounds lighter by the time golf season starts, and another 15 pounds lighter by the end of 2016.

#2: Nail down the short game. Or, rather, nail down my approach to the short game. I keep altering my setup/technique inside 80 yards, so it's no surprise at all that I have no consistency.

#3: Don't work on anything else until #2 gets done.

#3 might be the hardest to keep - my full swing completely falls apart 2 or 3 times a season, so I suspect that I'll have to deal with that at some point this year, but if it's not a complete train wreck, I'm just leaving it alone.

My goals for 2016 are simple yet something that will make me a better THP'er

- Continue to have fun when I golf
- Get a monthly Houston Area THP outing going. We have some great guys in the area and we need to tee it up more often
- Continue to pay it forward when and where I can
- Get my handicap under 10
- Increase my GIR & have a deadly short game.
- become a better putter.

quick thought on where im headed goal wise

1. increase % of up/down
2. #own125andin
3. increase GIR% from 150 and in
4. strive for 2 hours of practice a week with 60/40 split of shortgame/swing
5. lower cap by 2 strokes should be achievable based on 1-4

It is a great idea and one that I completely agree with. I have been more open this fall about my working out and dieting on site - well, more than I have been in the past. It has helped me, because I am putting it in writing on the site for all to see. Time to up the anty on that and continue to share more over the next couple of months as both are getting tougher.

My 2016 goals are as follows:
-continue to work on my golf fitness including eating healthy, I have lost 15 pounds and could stand to loose another 10 and get my driver ss upto 118-120 top out. Right now I top out at 112 with 105ish being my playable swing
-tighten up my mental game and keep a mental scorecard, also develop a solid pre shot routine and don't deviate from it
-intoduce more newcomers to the game, and being more open with who I play with

My #1 goal is to get back some of the length I have lost off the tee the past few years. it's weird, but I am still plenty long with my irons, etc, but the driver is killing me. I can't remember the last time I made center contact on the driver face. I know my HC will drop 5 points easy if I can get to the point where I have a 8 iron or less rather than a 6 to a par 4. I'd like to have more wedge shots, as that is my best club, but I know that's not always realistic. I have a lesson planned and I WILL get to the bottom of that.

Play more competitive golf - I always see my play get much better when I play more, more so than just practicing. I have already signed up again for the golf week tour for this area. I did this a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. Last year a few nagging physical issues, and time, kept me from playing. I am so much more focused in these type of events. Planning on at least a couple of THP events!

Shorter, but more frequent targeted practice. I will pinpoint my weaknesses in the couple of lessons I have planned and dedicate much more range time to them. Really hoping to do some of this with other DMV THPers!

Have FUN! I firmly believe the journey to get somewhere is often as good, if not better, than the destination.

Two goals. Keep it simple, right? And I know I got folks here that will keep me on it.

1. Get to a 10
2. Lose a few 10s - which should help with #1

My golf goals are simple:

1) Get consistently back into the 80's
2) Focus on enjoyment of the game, regardless of my score
3) Hopefully get to a THP event

I'll likely edit this if I decide to add another goal but I want to keep it simple for now.

1) Get back into single digits. Specifically be able to travel at a 8 handicap or better. Need to get more consistent all around as well as improve course management.
2) Lose 25 pounds and get back to 160. Need to start working out again (mainly cardio). Already on a diet (back to vegan a few days ago) and doing no alcohol January.
3) Win 2 more THP HOF tags.

Back