Bridgestone JGR Irons Preview

Outside of the look, which I have been known to block out, these were exceptional. Easy to make contact with the ball and the forgiveness was seen across the face of the club. Definitely irons that I want to have more time with. As JB mentioned I did not find them overly heavy. Pretty much in line with my DPC's. (Note: I did only hit about 10 balls on the range.)

As usual, I will have to check them out. All the write ups have me intrigued!

JB, when I look at them they remind me of the Cleveland Altitudes which I know you gamed for a while. With the pretty jacked up lofts (38 for PW1, 44 for PW2) how have you seen the distances for these compared to say the Apex that you are gaming?

Well, I cant speak for them, but they are on the forum and have added some input in this thread.
I should also say that forged is a process in which the club is made and has nothing to do with forgiveness.

These are large. The look will be a turn off for a number of golfers, but those that dont mind the look, can get something very well constructed. I didnt care for the Gmax, so cant help there, but they are definitely not heavy. Swing weight can fix that feeling with a heavier grip, without a doubt. These are going to be a max forgivness iron that offers a very high ball flight that wants to fly pretty straight.

If you make it out to a THP Event, you are welcome to test my set of course.

Well they didn't last on the rack long thanks to yours truly:
e48a901257bc76d9ee6987e3b006ae1f.jpg

Here a snapshot of the screen at PGATSS. The short ones are my GMax and the long one was the JGR's
575ea2ae987b223f6d3692a1015343ff.jpg

I was hitting the 7 GM iron about 130 and I hit the JGR's 20 yards further and hit it as far as 160. By the 3rd swing, I told the guy helping me "I want to buy these now" He couldn't believe how well I was hitting them. They just got them in yesterday and they one had the one set in Recoils 670. I went out the car and grab the Ping's and way I traded. I couldn't believe the ball speed, in the upper 90's.
Here is a couple of more photos:

1fee1f74a37ce6ed6491a7d97cd7b788.jpg

2c5063a6c411e232a8fabe3bcec8a6b7.jpg
8fdd21f46b6fee85ff80d457e82de350.jpg
1c508219ebf77a2998da033a0ee2bcf9.jpg

Good luck with them.
Those last irons you got didnt last very long huh? :D

Good luck with them.
Those last irons you got didnt last very long huh? :D

Thanks! My game just wasn't good enough for them. I could have made them work, but why. The game is hard enough as it is. When I hit them flush, they would go, but my swing just doesn't have that many "Flushes" it. Know what I mean?

Thanks! My game just wasn't good enough for them. I could have made them work, but why. The game is hard enough as it is. When I hit them flush, they would go, but my swing just doesn't have that many "Flushes" it. Know what I mean?

Enjoy the new set. Super forgiving and should give you years of enjoyment.

Well they didn't last on the rack long thanks to yours truly:
e48a901257bc76d9ee6987e3b006ae1f.jpg

Here a snapshot of the screen at PGATSS. The short ones are my GMax and the long one was the JGR's
575ea2ae987b223f6d3692a1015343ff.jpg

I was hitting the 7 GM iron about 130 and I hit the JGR's 20 yards further and hit it as far as 160. By the 3rd swing, I told the guy helping me "I want to buy these now" He couldn't believe how well I was hitting them. They just got them in yesterday and they one had the one set in Recoils 670. I went out the car and grab the Ping's and way I traded. I couldn't believe the ball speed, in the upper 90's.
Here is a couple of more photos:

1fee1f74a37ce6ed6491a7d97cd7b788.jpg

2c5063a6c411e232a8fabe3bcec8a6b7.jpg
8fdd21f46b6fee85ff80d457e82de350.jpg
1c508219ebf77a2998da033a0ee2bcf9.jpg

Good to hear your feedback. I'd like to try these out one day.

One thing that was interesting is that the shafts are long. They matched up with my GMax that were 1/2" long.

Anyone know if shops will let you order these individually or in a partial set ? I only play 6,7 and 8 irons

Anyone know if shops will let you order these individually or in a partial set ? I only play 6,7 and 8 irons
Most companies will sell individual irons, only way to know will be to have a shop reach out and see. Or email someone like discount Dans and inquire through them.

The more I see these, the more I like them. Really want to check them out in person, I have a mental block when it comes to hitting hybrids well but the topline of these seems like I'd have a lot of confidence with these in hand.

The more I see these, the more I like them. Really want to check them out in person, I have a mental block when it comes to hitting hybrids well but the topline of these seems like I'd have a lot of confidence with these in hand.

So here a photo looking down the 7 iron:
4e87d6d18264f383be28a60d0b7b7b98.jpg

To me it looks like a normal iron with "Junk in the Trunk"

Here is a how I was hitting them:
68f1ceabbc9cf6f7f52058ac251153f4.jpg

The 7 iron offset is .138 which is exactly the same as the 716 AP1 7 iron. So not Normal SGI with big offset. Think the GMax 7 iron was .28 offset.

It's the trampoline effect the makes it take off and you can feel it. I'm telling you, I hit a 160 shot in sim and averaged in the 150's.
It was a true "Ah Ha" moment

Here are the specs from the BS site.

a9bde7383500a105a00ed47acee3eaba.jpg

Last edited:
Thought these might replace my Altitudes but after seeing the specs I'm likely out.

These are about .25" longer than the Tudes in similar lofts and only D0. The Tudes are D3 which is great as my set is -.5". So swing weight is still around a D0. I'd have to shorten these .75" and swing weight would be scary low.

I had the same problem with all my Pings. After shortening they would always end up in the low C's. Dummy me didn't think to have Ping re-weight them. So that was on me.

Most companies will sell individual irons, only way to know will be to have a shop reach out and see. Or email someone like discount Dans and inquire through them.

I'll have to check my local shops. Not many carry B-Stone.

I don't know if I mentioned it here, but each iron I bought has its own serial number - all different. So I bought 6 irons - not a set.

The shop near me has a bridgestone account, but doesn't carry their stuff on the rack. You might want to ask if they can order clubs.

Even if they don't carry them, they can contact Bridgestone for you.

So here a photo looking down the 7 iron:
4e87d6d18264f383be28a60d0b7b7b98.jpg

To me it looks like a normal iron with "Junk in the Trunk"

Here is a how I was hitting them:
68f1ceabbc9cf6f7f52058ac251153f4.jpg

The 7 iron offset is .138 which is exactly the same as the 716 AP1 7 iron. So not Normal SGI with big offset. Think the GMax 7 iron was .28 offset.

It's the trampoline effect the makes it take off and you can feel it. I'm telling you, I hit a 160 shot in sim and averaged in the 150's.
It was a true "Ah Ha" moment

Here are the specs from the BS site.

a9bde7383500a105a00ed47acee3eaba.jpg

markm778, I think you mentioned your Gmax irons were 2 degrees upright, 1/2" longer?
I am gaming the G20's graphite, silver dot (3.75" up) and 1" longer. (I am 6'4")
Did you buy the JGR irons stock length and lie? (I have been told that my lie angle is a little to high as I hit off the toe frequently).
Bridgestone doesn't have a fitting cart which makes it a little difficult to get properly fit.
Your advice is appreciated.

markm778, I think you mentioned your Gmax irons were 2 degrees upright, 1/2" longer?
I am gaming the G20's graphite, silver dot (3.75" up) and 1" longer. (I am 6'4")
Did you buy the JGR irons stock length and lie? (I have been told that my lie angle is a little to high as I hit off the toe frequently).
Bridgestone doesn't have a fitting cart which makes it a little difficult to get properly fit.
Your advice is appreciated.

My GMax were refitted as yellow dot, stiff graphite +1/2" so they effectively played as green dot. The JGR I bought were right off the rack. I brought my GMax 7 iron in the store to measure them and they were the same length, which surprised me. I asked about the lie angle and the fitter told me that based on how I was hitting them, I was fine. I looked on the ping site and for GMax 7 iron, the lie angle is 63.38 and the JGR's are 61.5. So I think this makes them 1.88 more upright(?) I think Bridgestone did their homework on this one.

Last edited:
Looking forward to additional thoughts as you spend more time with these irons.

Bridgestone contacted me for a quote which I was happy to give them. They have been so good to THP, I didn't think twice:
f99c7a261d006b1353d4ddada78e56df.jpg

There were a fair amount of "Likes" which is good, however I found the responses on Instagram interesting:

285ceb791fde434274009a6700934108.jpg

c71d576eef6722cf3671129055142180.jpg

1524424d78bba8260cd4f0365ee7fcf1.jpg

Why can't I be a perfect fit off the rack? Some people are.
Tough Crowd!

Last edited:
Based on a few of those names, its par for the course dude.
Dont sweat it, enjoy the new clubs.

Given those names, don't even let it bother you one iota.

Some have to turn everything into a conspiracy and refuse to be educated on the reality of golf club design. Don't sweat it, trolls gonna troll.

To be fair though, a Gmax 7i and JGR 7i isn't really a fair comparison.
Both are considered low weight, high launch designs therefore both have stronger more modern lofts. So I think we need to look at the specs and try and compare them equally.

To get closer you would need to compare it to your Gmax 6i. And the JGR is still 1* stronger than a Gmax 6i.
With that being said, it stands to reason in the 7 irons the JGR would be at least 10-15 yds longer. I know my Tude 6i 27* is about 10-12 yds longer than my Tude 7i which is 31*.

I added +1/2" since markm778's is half inch longer:
GMAX 7i
30.5*
37” + .5 = 37.5”

GMAX 6i
27*
37.63 + .5 = 38.13”

JGR 7I
26*
38”

I am not trying to poo-poo your gains or single you out. I am simply trying to just make a fair comparison and to do so I think you need to be hitting your Gmax 6i against the JGR 7i. If you are still seeing good enough gains there then I think you made the right choice.

I am still intrigued by these and want to hit them badly. I just need to find them.

Back