Sad day to be a Lions fan

jrex1434

Reaction score
Handicap
I was pretty bummed today when I saw Calvin Johnson wasn't coming back next year. I sure hope for the best for that young cat, I hate seeing all of our young talent leave so early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A sad day indeed. Oh well, it's not like the Lions were going to contend again before he was too old and beat up to play.

Sad to see but not first guy to retire a bit early after being a Lions player.

Another smart football player to get out at the right time.
Happened twice now. Barry now Calvin.

Great player - sure he could have put a few more good years up but he leaves with a lot of money and his health. I doubt 2 more years would have led to a super bowl and his legacy is intact

Great player - sure he could have put a few more good years up but he leaves with a lot of money and his health. I doubt 2 more years would have led to a super bowl and his legacy is intact

I couldn't agree more, I have a feeling we are going to see more of these 10 year superstars

I'm glad to have players like Barry Sanders, Joe Dumars, Alan Trammell, Steve Yzerman, and Calvin Johnson play for my Detroit sports teams. Class, humility, professionalism, etc. Great examples for young people and old. Classy.

Definitely hated to hear this. As a GT alum, I really enjoyed watching his college and pro careers, and he seemed to do things on, and off, the field the right way.

A class act and one of the greats of all time. I'm a little surprised he's done at age 30, especially when a guy like Adrian Peterson is a little older than him and still at the top of his game.

Would have been nice to see him play another year or two but can't fault a guy for looking at his long term health and life into consideration.

It is a bummer, but give the guy credit he was a he'll of a player. He went out the right way in my opinion, at least he didn't wait till after the draft

Yes, I was surprised to see him retire. If he took care of his financials he can enjoy a nice life. Not sure if this is a way for him to get leverage to move but if he is thinking about his life after football so many players come out of the NFL with long term health issues that they have to deal with for the rest of their lives. Can fault someone from considering that.

Another smart football player to get out at the right time.
Happened twice now. Barry now Calvin.
Look at the guys from the 49ers that retired only after a few seasons.

Have to wonder if this is going to be more and more the norm, now. Play a few seasons, get paid, get out.

Guy was good it's unfortunate he's out of the game.

So when do the Pats try and pry him out of retirement.

Have to wonder if this is going to be more and more the norm, now. Play a few seasons, get paid, get out.

I wouldn't put it past these guys. If they look at the statistics, I would be headed down that pathway as well.

I wouldn't put it past these guys. If they look at the statistics, I would be headed down that pathway as well.
No doubt dude. Get to the league, make some money and invest/save well, get out.

I really enjoyed watching Calvin play.

From a fans perspective, he seemed like a good guy as well. He would talk a little trash now and again, but nothing like TO and others.

I think he made the right move.

I always hate to see that game changing type of player who spends a career in a struggling organization.
It was a lot of fun to watch him play.

Too bad.. NFL careers will continue to get shorter and shorter.. He is a class act.. I hope he is healthy & goes on to lead a happy full retirement...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He was an outstanding player and class act! From a competitive stand point I'm hope he enjoys his retirement as I know my team will!

The smart ones will do it. The lifelong consequences of compounded brain trauma is scary to consider.

In regards to Calvin Johnson, he's a HoF'er no question ... short of a Super Bowl win, which the Lions were not going to get him, he did everything he possibly could have done out there on that field.

A great player who played the game the right way. Though some say he's leaving early, I think he's being smart about it and leaving at the right time. He doesn't owe anything to anyone, and another 3 year contract wouldn't (probably) lead to a Detroit Lion Super Bowl. Glad I got to see him play. Have fun in Retirement Calvin. Wouldn't surprise me if one of the major networks tapped him for a Pre/Post Game Show.

All that size and speed has got to take a toll on the joints. I'm always glad to see guys get out with most of their health in tact.

Back