2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can hold the beers to one day a week, I think you can work it in. Anything more than that, when you are SERIOUSLY putting time in at the gym, can negate effects. From both a muscle building perspective and from a hydration perspective. The odd thing is wine doesn't really have the same effect- for most people. My guess nutritionally is because one is made from wheat, or a grain (beer) and one is from fruit.

If I have to I definitely will. No reason not to other than sticking with old habits and I'm all about breaking old habits.

Last night was Squats, dead lifts, overhead presses. Then a short run to finish up. That didn't last long since I'm sick and wasn't really breathing all that well lol, but the point of it is to help with recovery and it seems to be doing the trick.

I have to give a HUGE thank you to blugold for a video he made MT and I going over squat form. With his help and my body reacting a little better, I really killed the squats last night. They are not only easier, but I'm not crippled anymore afterwards. Big difference maker there.

Weigh in day today after the first week of my new macro-focused diet and dropped 2.5lbs. That's a big old drop and just what I wanted to see. Gives me motivation to see this through until I hit my current goal.

I am making improvements with my squat and slowly building back to my Stronglifts/5-3-1 days.

Warmup
3:00 Double Unders (I think I am getting worse at these. I got to a point where I could string two together now I can barely get 1.)

Squats
Work up to 3 x 205 (was pretty easy)
3 x 195
3 x 185

Metcon
Run 800m
20 Knee to Elbows (I do them on my back)
50 Burpees
20 K2E
Run 400m
18:31
The burpees were miserable. I tried keeping a consistent pace but I was toast early on.

Last night was Squats, dead lifts, overhead presses. Then a short run to finish up. That didn't last long since I'm sick and wasn't really breathing all that well lol, but the point of it is to help with recovery and it seems to be doing the trick.

I have to give a HUGE thank you to blugold for a video he made MT and I going over squat form. With his help and my body reacting a little better, I really killed the squats last night. They are not only easier, but I'm not crippled anymore afterwards. Big difference maker there.

Weigh in day today after the first week of my new macro-focused diet and dropped 2.5lbs. That's a big old drop and just what I wanted to see. Gives me motivation to see this through until I hit my current goal.

I'm happy to help buddy.

I'm happy to help buddy.

The knees out thing was tough for me to grasp until I saw how you were set up. Lots more work on the hamstrings and a lot less on the quads (which were where 90% of my recovery pain was centered).

The knees out thing was tough for me to grasp until I saw how you were set up. Lots more work on the hamstrings and a lot less on the quads (which were where 90% of my recovery pain was centered).

Anybody who says that squats are a quad only lift, is doing it wrong. In order to keep balance and be injury free, the hips have to move back and the shoulders have to come forward a little. The hips, glutes, and hammies will get involved. That's ok. The more muscles that get involved in any given lift with proper form, the more weight you can move around. The more weight you move, the bigger the muscles get.

Anybody who says that squats are a quad only lift, is doing it wrong. In order to keep balance and be injury free, the hips have to move back and the shoulders have to come forward a little. The hips, glutes, and hammies will get involved. That's ok. The more muscles that get involved in any given lift with proper form, the more weight you can move around. The more weight you move, the bigger the muscles get.

My first thought was how much easier it was to get deep especially.

Hump day speed work! Six iterations each of 30 second sprint followed by 60 seconds jog, and 60 second hard run followed by 120 seconds light jog. One of my favorite running routines. Been running a lot lately; need to find some time to get in the gym and lift the heavy things.

My first thought was how much easier it was to get deep especially.

ding ding ding.

In order to get deep, the knees have to go out. Look at any major league catcher. Their knees and toes are not parallel and point directly forward. Biomechanically, it's damn near impossible. Be mindful of your footwear choices. Do not do heavy (subjective) squats in running shoes.

Should I get Chucks? I read that same tip, but haven't got around to doing anything about it.

Should I get Chucks? I read that same tip, but haven't got around to doing anything about it.

That's the cheapest way to do it.

Yup. That video was huge for me. Keep it up!

I'm a barefoot/5-finger shoe guy when it comes to heavy lifts, because I like the idea that my feet and toes can splay under heavy load, especially for deadlifts, but Chucks are the next best thing. I've never felt comfortable with Oly shoes; sold mine after wearing them twice.

Big night for me in the world of stronglifts. I'm about to do something that I didn't think I could do.

I prefer wearing wrestling shoes. Probably because I was a wrestler and already own a pair. Anything with cushioning is definitely an injury waiting to happen with heavy squats or deadlifts.

On the topic of isolation lifts I would say if you are toning they are good. If you are interested in gaining mass or working on strength then the compound heavy weight movements are the ticket. My best friends has a masters degree in exercise physiology and his opinion is squatting is terrible for you. He said it's not worth the stress on the knees and hips unless you are a preselected/body builder or playing football. He is also a certified personal trainer. Again that's just one opinion but worth the mention.

Anyone looking to lose weight should check out the Lose it! app. Put in your weight and select how many pounds you want to lose per week. Then it gives you a calorie intake for reach day. You can scan the barcode on food lables or look up the foods you are eating as well as restaurant menus. Then it has a large list of exercises you can also put in and how long you did it. The exercises obviously add to the calories you can have each day. I went from 195 to 175 in about 2.5 months using it. Very easy to use, I am sure lots of people don't like counting calories but the app makes it easy and it's neat to watch your progress. I found I could go a little over each day and still lost weight. It's free so anyone out there trying to slim down I highly recommend it.

Exercise list even includes any exercise you may do in your bedroom, kitchen table, or perhaps did as a teenager in the backseat of your car. The list it's through.

I went to bed at 6:30 last night lol. Soooooooo sick ugh. No workout at all for me. I'm going to try to get to the gym tonight, but right now it's looking like I might take another day to rest.

Big night for me in the world of stronglifts. I'm about to do something that I didn't think I could do.

Quit vaguebooking. What is it?

I don't like posting the weight I am doing. I don't want it to come across wrong. With that said.

Last night it was 5 sets of 5 reps of squat, bench press, and bent over rows. The squat weight was intimidating but I powered through it and I felt really good about it

8ezamynu.jpg

I can understand that, but I'm not a hater. That's pretty amazing dude!

I don't like posting the weight I am doing. I don't want it to come across wrong. With that said.

Last night it was 5 sets of 5 reps of squat, bench press, and bent over rows. The squat weight was intimidating but I powered through it and I felt really good about it

8ezamynu.jpg

Nice work boss. That weight for a Pendlay row is heavy.

Fit into a size L polo for the first time since Freshman year of college. Wasn't tight or anything, made me feel pretty damn good. Still a lot of work to do so I can fit in all L shirts and bring the waist size down, but at least I know I'm making some progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back