THP Lesson Thread

I moved this year so need to find someone down where I moved to work with. Really want to find someone that is willing to do playing lessons rather than just on the range. Will have to see what I can find.

I really want to do some playing lessons as well. I need to talk to Jeff next time I have a lesson and see if he's willing to try something like that.

I really want to do some playing lessons as well. I need to talk to Jeff next time I have a lesson and see if he's willing to try something like that.

I talked with him about that before and he never seems to have the time to do it. I still have an open lesson with him. I should see if I can transfer that to you haha.

I talked with him about that before and he never seems to have the time to do it. I still have an open lesson with him. I should see if I can transfer that to you haha.

Bummer. Maybe I'll prod him a little about it and try to be persuasive :D

Wow dude, you definitely don't have to do that! If you don't feel like you'll use it, I'll definitely use it though haha

I think Northview does a group playing lesson to keep the costs down.

I'm unsure if I'll do lessons or not this year. I always say that until I get into a THP Event or a slump and then everything changes.

I need to work on:
1) Take away down the line, not inside
2) Shorten backswing
3) I REALLY need to ACCEPT that I'm not as long as I used to be. I keep pushing to get those precious yards back at the expense of control.
4) Putting. I'm the worst putter in the world and I'm freaking SICK of it.

I'm unsure if I'll do lessons or not this year. I always say that until I get into a THP Event or a slump and then everything changes.

I need to work on:
1) Take away down the line, not inside
2) Shorten backswing
3) I REALLY need to ACCEPT that I'm not as long as I used to be. I keep pushing to get those precious yards back at the expense of control.
4) Putting. I'm the worst putter in the world and I'm freaking SICK of it.

#1 plagues me constantly, particularly with driver. I need to consciously work hard on that one as well.

When in the hell did #4 happen? Every time I play with you - with the exception of in November you were struggling a bit - you're jarring it from everywhere.

#1 plagues me constantly, particularly with driver. I need to consciously work hard on that one as well.

When in the hell did #4 happen? Every time I play with you - with the exception of in November you were struggling a bit - you're jarring it from everywhere.

I don't know to be honest. All those 4-10 footers I used to hole to save my crazy pars just aren't dropping anymore. It's a stroke issue and I'm already starting to sort it out.

I can honestly say my grip looks real good now after spending 3 lessons on just the grip.My pro assures me, if I stick to this i will break my lowest score ever which was a 97.Shot that about 10 years ago

I'm excited to see what the results will bring me.Havent even hit one ball yet

I don't know to be honest. All those 4-10 footers I used to hole to save my crazy pars just aren't dropping anymore. It's a stroke issue and I'm already starting to sort it out.
Nothing a new custom putter wouldn't cure. :D

Damn, that blows. Best of luck man...I know all about what it's like to suck at putting!!

I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a bit. Right now it's damned cold out. Highs in the upper 30s to about 41 F with a slight breeze which even on a heated range is cold as **** and you're hitting rocks. I end up with a base layer, polar fleece pants; base layer top, sweater, jacket, and that starts getting constricting. Then my hands get cold. If I'm working on distance control the balls are going about 10 yds short with my irons. They're at 25 F overnight and probably don't warm up past 34 F during the day. They're 20 - 25 yds short with my driver. I noticed I start trying to swing harder and started introducing swing flaws. So I'm done until we get weather back in the 50s.

Then I'll need a lesson to get me back on track.

Hopefully my putting will improve next year. I'm trying out side saddle with a 48" putter so maybe I won't send 7' putts 4' past the hole. I used to be a really good putter. Then as I've gotten older, my back starts bothering me and I'm not as steady.

I've been looking at a Callaway Mini 1.5 to put in the bag for some of the courses I play. I'll need to compare it side by side with my 13* 3W on the GC2 and see if I actually hit the 12* further. It would only be a tee club. I need to put the ball in the fairway more, but I don't want to sacrifice too much distance off my driver. I chopped my driver to 44.5" and with the smaller head I might actually swing it a little faster. We'll add a little lead tape near the heel for draw biasing. Trees are my bane and they're usually on the right with overhanging branches.

Took first lesson today at GolfTec. It was good and bad. The bad is that the swing I have used the past few years to bat it around the course and play bogey golf is much poorer than I thought. Too steep outside takeaway , leading to over the top and handsy to square the clubface. But the video doesn't lie.

The good is this is one of the most common flaws in golf that many others have conquered. Other aspects like balance, stance etc... Seemed ok. I'm also exited about ability to practice indoors during winter months with feedback vs banging balls at driving range and not really knowing if I'm slipping back to bad habits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda clueless who to reach out to for lessons.

Google was useless
Not sure i want to go with golftec.

Blah

Google was useless

Blah

Decent local courses? Word of mouth? Golf stores sometimes have good insight.

I forgot about this thread. I had a lesson yesterday. My goal was to have my pro give me a tuneup so I can get off the tees this weekend during a guys trip.

The problems I reported to him:
- a big OTT move, feeling very disconnected and out of sequence
- big pushes/slices + intermittent pulls with driver

Other problems he saw/diagnosed:
- breaking my wrists early on the take away
- too flat at the top

The fixes:
- one piece take away
- setting up so the club is more like a straight extension of my left (front) arm
- swinging on an inside to out path
- rotating the forearms through/after impact (I may not be saying this one right)

The results:
- Straight balls and an increase of 5+ MPH with the driver SS.

Setting up to the ball like that and the resulting takeaway felt weird but the ball doesn't lie.

Why no GolfTec?
I might try the one by work again...went there 2 summers ago and didnt care for the guy that was there that day
Decent local courses? Word of mouth? Golf stores sometimes have good insight.
Im going to take a look at some of the better courses tomorrow and call as most didnt have a ton of details on site

Im going to take a look at some of the better courses tomorrow and call as most didnt have a ton of details on site

If nothing else, call some of the private courses. They may not offer lessons, but it seems like these guys network pretty well. They will tell you somewhere that will help you.

Google was useless

Blah

I had a pretty good experience with Windmill Golf center in Macedonia. Very nice practice facility and I liked my instructor. Heard pretty good things about the other instructors as well. That was my first and only lesson, so not much to base it on, but I'll be going back in the spring no doubt.

Stupid swing flaw
Are you talking about that weird little hitch thing you have in your downswing?

As for my issues I am working on.

Alignment issues at address. Way too often my feet are aiming one place with shoulders and hips a total different.

Keeping the start of my backswing on plane or slightly above with the club head parallel to my toe line when the shaft is horizontal to the ground.

More width with my hands at top of swing which is leading to shut face and poor sequencing with shoulders before hips leading to being very steep which ends up causing the catastrophic left misses I get when I am playing poorly.

Being a little more aggressive on my swing while being more conservative in game management.

Getting my hips to start the swing with more of a pivot from the inside to get rid of the left miss.

Never hitting a shot I am not 100% committed to.

Not sucking when I have to wait more than a minute in between shots.

Take aimpoint express class. I know the basics and like it but there are things I am missing.

Last edited:
Are you talking about that weird little hitch thing you have in your downswing?

As for my issues I am working on.

Alignment issues at address. Way too often my feet are aiming one place with shoulders and hips a total different.

Keeping the start of my backswing on plane or slightly above with the club head parallel to my toe line when the shaft is horizontal to the ground.

More width with my hands at top of swing which is leading to shut face and poor sequencing with shoulders before hips leading to being very steep which ends up causing the catastrophic left misses I get when I am playing poorly.

Being a little more aggressive on my swing while being more conservative in game management.

Getting my hips to start the swing with more of a pivot from the inside to get rid of the left miss.

Never hitting a shot I am not 100% committed to.

Not sucking when I have to wait more than a minute in between shots.

Take aimpoint express class. I know the basics and like it but there are things I am missing.
that is one heck of a check list

Yea on the weird hitch among other things

Yea on the weird hitch among other things

I am sure once you find the right guy you are going to be fine Mike.

Myself, I really need to get back to the road to improvement.
That and I need to embrace practice more, the teachings only work if you do the work to build the muscle memory.

that is one heck of a check list

Typed out is seems that way but most of those build on top of each other swing wise and the others are mental or focus related.

Back