2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got to see some of the fruits of my labor this weekend. 3 days of golfing in the heat, and I wasn't tired or sore at all. I feel like my stamina is much higher than it was, and I'm very encouraged to take it even further as a side benefit of losing weight. Who knew getting healthy could feel so good.

You're lucky my man. I wish I could train twice in a day.
All lighter dumbbell work. The gym has a s***h machine otherwise.

After a weekend full of golf, I was back in the gym today for weights, and I honestly missed it a little. Squats, shoulder press, and dead lifts were on the menu. Still able to up the weight on all lifts by 5+ lbs, so we'll see how long I can keep that up while maintaining proper form, I felt like I pushed it a little hard on the press and the dead lifts today as I felt like I was losing form, so I dropped it down a little bit for the final set. Cardio tomorrow; I wish I liked cardio days as much as weights days, but I understand it's a necessary evil.

After a weekend full of golf, I was back in the gym today for weights, and I honestly missed it a little. Squats, shoulder press, and dead lifts were on the menu. Still able to up the weight on all lifts by 5+ lbs, so we'll see how long I can keep that up while maintaining proper form, I felt like I pushed it a little hard on the press and the dead lifts today as I felt like I was losing form, so I dropped it down a little bit for the final set. Cardio tomorrow; I wish I liked cardio days as much as weights days, but I understand it's a necessary evil.
Keep pushing it on the weights.

It's up to you, if you can't recover, cut a weights day or a HIIT day. For your goals, we can alter the program. We can discuss.

Keep pushing it on the weights.

It's up to you, if you can't recover, cut a weights day or a HIIT day. For your goals, we can alter the program. We can discuss.
I don't think anything needs to change, the workouts are working and I'm seeing mad gainz (broscience ftw). What did I say to make you think we needed to change anything up?

I don't think anything needs to change, the workouts are working and I'm seeing mad gainz (broscience ftw). What did I say to make you think we needed to change anything up?
Having to drop weights off of the last sets.

Try resting 4-6 minutes between sets. I know this will extend the workouts. But, at this stage, there's no reason why your linear progression should be stalling at this stage.

Having to drop weights off of the last sets.

Try resting 4-6 minutes between sets. I know this will extend the workouts. But, at this stage, there's no reason why your linear progression should be stalling at this stage.
It wasn't linear, I tried to go even bigger than +5 from last week, which I then realized wasn't a good idea and dropped it to 5 over last week.

It wasn't linear, I tried to go even bigger than +5 from last week, which I then realized wasn't a good idea and dropped it to 5 over last week.
You should be adding 5# every session, and 10# every deadlift. Have you been doing this?

You should be adding 5# every session, and 10# every deadlift. Have you been doing this?
I've been adding at least 5 and 10 respectively, but sometimes I try to push it and add more and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and I back off for the next set, and when I say back off I mean go back to 5+ from last time.

I've been adding at least 5 and 10 respectively, but sometimes I try to push it and add more and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and I back off for the next set, and when I say back off I mean go back to 5+ from last time.
I'm going to post this with a smile on my face, please read it with a smile. Don't eff with the program! Haha.

I'm going to post this with a smile on my face, please read it with a smile. Don't eff with the program! Haha.
Gotcha boss. Part of the reason for upping it more than 5 was to figure out where my real limit was. I sort of guessed where to start with weights, so felt I had a little wiggle room with adds until I truly hit my top, then I could see how I progress from there. Maybe that was misguided, but that was my thinking. I also need to get a notebook to track weights because I'm going from memory and that is getting harder.

Gotcha boss. Part of the reason for upping it more than 5 was to figure out where my real limit was. I sort of guessed where to start with weights, so felt I had a little wiggle room with adds until I truly hit my top, then I could see how I progress from there. Maybe that was misguided, but that was my thinking. I also need to get a notebook to track weights because I'm going from memory and that is getting harder.
Jefit app sir! I know I've mentioned it already but it's awesome. Tracks all my routine, exercises, goals, current weight, measurements, everything. Get it!

Here's my snapshot from as we speak haha. Gotta finish my deads, 2 more sets!
1f53884513a93dcc24f3b2bf63e3faea.jpg

Log your sessions.

I like your engagement in this process. But you and I are training. We are working towards a goal. At this point, you have the prime opportunity to add weight on every session. This progress will scortch fat.

At this point, testing yourself isn't ideal because you haven't really reached a stage where that is a factor. And that is OK. This is the prime time to build a solid strength foundation where we can get creative and have some programming fun in about 6-8 more weeks.

Log your sessions.

I like your engagement in this process. But you and I are training. We are working towards a goal. At this point, you have the prime opportunity to add weight on every session. This progress will scortch fat.

At this point, testing yourself isn't ideal because you haven't really reached a stage where that is a factor. And that is OK. This is the prime time to build a solid strength foundation where we can get creative and have some programming fun in about 6-8 more weeks.
Got a notebook and started my log. Will stick to the program and not go rogue on you. Thanks for helping keep me on track, coach.

Got a notebook and started my log. Will stick to the program and not go rogue on you. Thanks for helping keep me on track, coach.
Go get it!

You're doing great work. Keep it going!

Truth.

Here's my snapshot from as we speak haha. Gotta finish my deads, 2 more sets!
1f53884513a93dcc24f3b2bf63e3faea.jpg
When you do your db press, do you press both hands at once or keep both arms extended and press one arm at a time?

Just finished up, I slacked all weekend it was bad! Missed friday and wanted to make it up before today but didn't so I made that up today. Will have to make this a 4 day week I guess haha. Finally got my squats and deads comfortably over 100, meaning I can do 8-10 reps with that weight. Will increase more next workout and progress towards the 5 rep range, just didn't want to get sloppy! My form is improving drastically but still a bit wonky and Ive noticed slowing myself down and not thinking about getting reps but concentrating on the actual movement. My buddy said it's not about simply moving weight around but trying to get something out of it. Made total sense and I noticed I'm getting better pump out of it. Lol is pump a bro word? Idk but it feels like something is working better

Made total sense and I noticed I'm getting better pump out of it. Lol is pump a bro word? Idk but it feels like something is working better

Funny you should mention it. Let me present to you, the Brofessor

Cardio today. I don't like cardio, but I'm seeing results from it. It really pushes me to the limit, which I suppose is the point of HIIT.

Got my pump on today. Squats. Bench, and pull downs, logged it all and only bumped up 5lbs from last time.

Question for the group, what do your warm up sets look like? How much weight relative to your target weight and how many warmup sets do you do before getting to the main event?

Got my pump on today. Squats. Bench, and pull downs, logged it all and only bumped up 5lbs from last time.

Question for the group, what do your warm up sets look like? How much weight relative to your target weight and how many warmup sets do you do before getting to the main event?
Are you on Android or iPhone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back