The Official 2015 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can you have a rule in the NFL playoffs where the winner of the coin flip gets the ball and if they score a TD the other team gets no possession? Stupidist rule in all of professional sports.

ETA: And I was rooting for the Cardinals. But still.
Had they kicked a field goal, the Packers would've had one chance to score.

You would've really hated the sudden death overtime rules that were in place for 50 years…

Go Cards go!!!!!!!!!

How can you have a rule in the NFL playoffs where the winner of the coin flip gets the ball and if they score a TD the other team gets no possession? Stupidist rule in all of professional sports.

Disagree. Don't like the overtime rules, do enough during regulation so it doesn't get to OT.

Auditioning new teams for the rest of the playoffs. Steelers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's playing the percentages. People tend to forget that less than a third of NFL offensive drives end in touchdowns, and that's for the most efficient of offenses. The Cards scored touchdowns on approximately 27% of offensive drives during the regular season.

Put simply, if you give up 80 yards in the first drive of overtime, statistically speaking you don't deserve to win.

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/drives.html

I sincerely disagree. This ain't college. If you can't stop them from getting in the end zone, often 80 yards, then they deserve the win. That's why they changed get it to a first possession FG gets the chance to tie or win.

And the stupidest rule in professional sports (and sports in general) is having to hit a golf ball from a divot in the fairway. Everyone knows that.

You would've really hated the sudden death overtime rules that were in place for 50 years…

Disagree. Don't like the overtime rules, do enough during regulation so it doesn't get to OT.
I agree gents. Defense needs to nut up and get a stop.

By that logic, you could justify any stupid overtime rule.

Auditioning new teams for the rest of the playoffs. Steelers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carolina. Just because of AJ Klein

At no time can you say that the NFL's overtime system is more stupid than NHL shootouts or soccer penalty kicks. At least they play football to figure out the winner of a football game.

Absolutely could. I still say the NFL overtime rules are fair and if the packers hold them to a fg, they have a shot to win. They didn't and they lost.

It's playing the percentages. People tend to forget that less than a third of NFL offensive drives end in touchdowns, and that's for the most efficient of offenses. The Cards scored touchdowns on approximately 27% of offensive drives during the regular season.

Put simply, if you give up 80 yards in the first drive of overtime, statistically speaking you don't deserve to win.

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/drives.html

But at the end of the game, when the defense are tired, I bet the statistics are different. There were quite a few games this year where the teams traded touchdowns in the last few possessions, and then the team winning the flip in overtime won the game with a TD on the first possession.

Fitzgerald is truly amazing. He just tossed the whole Arizona squad on his shoulders. Would not be denied.

He's also a 14 index.

One of the best ever, and a genuinely good dude.

Hard to believe that this was Palmers first playoff win

Yes, I understand. That just proves the stupidity of the rule in my opinion. The have empowered the offenses with lots of rule changes in the past several years, and restricted the defenses. I think that warrants both teams having at least one offensive possession.

But at the end of the game, when the defense are tired, I bet the statistics are different. There were quite a few games this year where the teams traded touchdowns in the last few possessions, and then the team winning the flip in overtime won the game with a TD on the first possession.

So do you have statistics to back that claim up? Cuz we only deal in logic here.

So you're saying it comes down to the last team to possess the ball? That basically just happened. The Packers scored a touchdown to tie it as time expired, kicked off, and got Larry Fitzgerald'ed. I can argue that if the game were about 45 seconds longer, it would have looked the exact same. The last team to possess the ball won.

In this case rather emphatically.

And the stupidest rule in professional sports (and sports in general) is having to hit a golf ball from a divot in the fairway. Everyone knows that.

Okay, you got me there.

Yes, I understand. That just proves the stupidity of the rule in my opinion. The have empowered the offenses with lots of rule changes in the past several years, and restricted the defenses. I think that warrants both teams having at least one offensive possession.
I'd argue the change in the rule actually empowers the defense in this case. Hold the other team to a FG, your offense gets a chance. Can't keep them out of the end zone you lose. Under the previous OT sudden death rule, there was no benefit of holding the other team to a FG.

Finally stopped shaking to type this post. LARRY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back