What is the longest iron you carry? Why?

5I. Biggest reason is that when I came back to playing golf the lofts had changed so much that the 3 iron was like an old 2 iron and was difficult to hit. Hybrids had come along in the meantime so I filled the gap for my 3 and 4 iron with a hybrid. The hybrid added some versatility to my bag as well so it was a win win.

4-iron is the longest I carry. The hybrid is just too versatile and easy to hit for shots over 200-yards. If I didn't sometimes need the low, penetrating shots and escape shots, I would probably even drop the 4-iron for a weaker hybrid.

5 or 6 iron.

5 iron, because it's easy to hit and my 23° replaces my 4i for those long second shots or longer par 3's.

5 iron. Hybrids are simply easier to hit for me.

5 iron for now. I would love to find a 4 iron in my current set up to try out.

Longest is 4 iron for me. Getting acclimated with the hybrid to replace my 3 iron, it has made me wonder if I should eventually look at a hybrid to replace the 4 iron. I know I can hit a 4 iron and hit it well. But I have also hit it poorly and I am wondering if replacing with a hybrid will bring me more consistency. Pretty sure I know the answer, just whether I am ready to give up on the 4 iron.

3 iron because I cannot hit a hybrid straight. Hybrids are hook machines.
If there's a 2 iron with a loft of 15 degrees... I'd play that too.

I have a 17* hybrid that fits between my 3 wood and 4 iron. I have no issues hitting long irons and this setup fills in my gaps well.

Sent from my Nexus 6

I carry a 4i. I hit it decently well and my 4H fits fairly nicely in what would be 3i slot so it works out alright for me.

4i, because I didn't think I needed a 3i. I can't hit my hybrid as much as I'd like. I know it's a mental thing, but I just can't do it.

3i. I very rarely hit a full shot with it unless its off the tee. I've also mastered the quarter to half keep the ball low swing so the ball exits the woods and still goes a reasonable distance, through tons of practice

3i. I just prefer it over the 20-23* hybrids, I don't know why. I like hitting irons and if I could hit a 2 iron, I'd carry one!

Right now it's a 5I, but the J15 cast are REALLY growing on me. About to pull the trigger on a 4I. It will mostly be a trouble club, but when the lie is right, I will be able to hammer down (for me) :act-up: Right now, I only have 13 clubs, so why not?

JM

Longest Iron I carry is my 5 Iron, because my 4 Iron gives me the same distance as my hybrid

Longest iron: 4
Hybrid is 20° and surprisingly goes the same distance for me.

I'm thinking of dropping the hybrid and slipping in the 3i again.

5i, then 4h. Yardage gaps work well and I feel that the hybrid is more versatile especially playing out of the tougher stuff. I love the X2 Hot Hybrids.

6i, then a 5 hybrid. I'm getting older (heading towards 60) and just don't have the swing speed for a 5i on down anymore......

5 iron. I like the control I have with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have however on occasion played a 5 hybrid at 25. But I just gave that one away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rotate a HI in bag, depends on course. So 4 or 5i. Example, a course I play has 5 monster Par 4's, all 450 to 470 range, so that's when I may want to add my 3HI, which I rarely would need, so out goes the 4i and in goes the 3HI. Or a hard to hold longer par 3 may need a 5HI to hold instead of a lower 4i, so out goes the 4i and in the 5HI. I usually marry my 4HI with my 4I, so that iron can become a 3HI if I'm playing monster par 4's into the wind at sea level all day or the 4i may become a 5H if there's a pesky 190yd Par 3 that requires a softer shot so 4i can be replaced with either 3H or 5H, my stock H is a 4H which is great for rough and fway bunkers.

At 55 with 105mph s/s, most courses I play with seniors it's driver wedge all day, but once in a while I still play tips and that's when you can help your bag by just deciding if you need any Hybrid juice to reach the super long par 4's and or pesky par 3's.

Now if I was still 115+ s/s and in my 30's I would hit no Hybrids and carry a 3i, if I considered a hybrid it would be to swap with a 4w I always carried back then, the 4w or 3i was how I reached the longer par 5s back then.

Oh, I saw someone saying hooks with Hybrids are common, they are, I used to hook mine until I realized they are not swept like a 4W or 3W, you hit down on them like a 5i or 4i and the hook is gone unless the shaft is way too weak for your s/s.

right now it's a 6 iron. If I change things up it's a 5. Been a long long time since I've had a 4 iron in the bag. My reason for not bagging the 5 iron is kind of simple. It's a club that doesn't get used. I hit my 4 hybrid fairly well(at least right now), and I can choke up on it with ease and get the distance I need. When I had both in the bag, the gap was pretty close to each other. So out comes the 5 iron and it allows to me to throw in a club like the Mini Driver.

I have down to a 4 iron in my bag... I'm hit or miss with hitting a good shot or a low hook with both the 4 and 5 iron right now.

5i, dropped the 4i for a 7w this year. If that doesn't go as planned I might try a hybrid next year.

4i for me.

I can hit it pretty well... I don't keep it for yardage gaps or anything. I'm just a traditionalist hanging onto the past... :)

My cousin recently picked up a set of clubs where a 6i was the lowest in the bag. A bag with more 'woods' than irons just doesn't seem right to me.

Back