League Questions on Putter Rules

blugold

Autobots, ROLL OUT!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The head professional and owner of my home course asked me for input on this.

In one of the courses weekly leagues there is one gentleman who anchors his putter. The league does not play strict USGA rules, specifically for lost balls. The handicaps used for league scoring are made up of scores from the league, outside scores do not count.

If the one league member who anchors his putter does not use his league rounds for an official USGA Handicap and the other members of the league do not care, what should, if anything be done? On the flip-side, if there are league members who complain, what should be done?

If the league doesn't play by the COMPLETE book, let the guy putt with the broomstick. If league members complain, then it's time to break out the rules book on everything. Be careful what you ask for

I would think if you already dont follow the USGA rules to T than to use those same rules to stop the use of this putter would seem wrong to me. If someone wanted to complain they have that right and a discussion would have to happen, but I would think a vote of some kind would need to happen.

I would think if you already dont follow the USGA rules to T than to use those same rules to stop the use of this putter would seem wrong to me. If someone wanted to complain they have that right and a discussion would have to happen, but I would think a vote of some kind would need to happen.

That is exactly what I said. The league administrators already get bogged down by petty rules complaints. The pro just shivered when I brought this up because of the inevitable adult cry babies.

That is exactly what I said. The league administrators already get bogged down by petty rules complaints. The pro just shivered when I brought this up because of the inevitable adult cry babies.

I personally am not the complaining type so I have a hard time understanding people who complain when they lose.

I'd say put it up for a vote, if possible. If not, play by the book.

I personally am not the complaining type so I have a hard time understanding people who complain when they lose.
These types

uncle-rico-picture.jpg

League doesn't use USGA Rules? Then let him keep his putter. The game is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. If he finds it more enjoyable to anchor, let him keep it. Otherwise start enforcing all the rules and not handpick the ones you want to follow.

The head professional and owner of my home course asked me for input on this.

In one of the courses weekly leagues there is one gentleman who anchors his putter. The league does not play strict USGA rules, specifically for lost balls. The handicaps used for league scoring are made up of scores from the league, outside scores do not count.

If the one league member who anchors his putter does not use his league rounds for an official USGA Handicap and the other members of the league do not care, what should, if anything be done? On the flip-side, if there are league members who complain, what should be done?

League doesn't play strict USGA, and the scoring is based on only league scores? I'd think it's a non-issue. It all looks internally consistent to me, so I'd leave it as it is.

And I will add I love that they dont use the out of bounds rule. I bet this speeds things up a bunch

Anchored putters during league play? Why not? If people think there is an unfair advantage, let them try using a long putter and see how well they do.

Just my 2 cents.

And I will add I love that they dont use the out of bounds rule. I bet this speeds things up a bunch

I personally don't like the OB rule either - I've never really understood why hitting the ball into one inaccessible area should merit a different or more severe penalty than a different inaccessible area, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

Aren't anchored putters supposed to be banned in 2016 anyway? Or am I missing the point?

Aren't anchored putters supposed to be banned in 2016 anyway? Or am I missing the point?
That's the point. In the 2016 league season there will be one person who may be using an anchored putter. But can the league enforce that rule when it willfully ignores other rules.

I am in the boat of if not following all the rules then he can use his putter an anchor it. If someone or people in the league complain then have a league meeting and let everyone vote on it and decide it as a committee

I wonder how many of the complainers are using wedges from several years ago that are non conforming ;)

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

League doesn't use USGA Rules? Then let him keep his putter. The game is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. If he finds it more enjoyable to anchor, let him keep it. Otherwise start enforcing all the rules and not handpick the ones you want to follow.

I agree and anchoring a putter is not yet "illegal".

I wonder how many of the complainers are using wedges from several years ago that are non conforming ;)

You can use square grooved wedges until 2024.

If any rules stray from the USGA rule book, those should probably be noted in the league bylaws. Just add a section on anchored putters. If anyone doesn't like that, it can be brought up for discussion and vote at a league meeting.

As an example, our bylaws have a section on 'Improving Lie'. It states[FONT=Calibri,Bold]:
[/FONT]
From the fairway a Player may move or improve his/her lie by a grip length (approximately 12 inches), no closer to the hole, by lifting and placing the ball (not cleaning the ball), provided the
ball is not in a hazard (i.e. water, sand or lateral hazard). The ball may not be cleaned except when permitted by USGA Rules. The penalty for violation of this rule is two (2) strokes.
[FONT=Calibri,BoldItalic]This rule only applies to tournaments from Thanksgiving thru Easter.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,BoldItalic][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,BoldItalic][/FONT]

If they are not following all the USGA rules already, I don't see why he couldn't continue use his anchored putter. W/E makes the game more fun for these guys they should do it. It's the greatest game in the world have fun doing it.

You can use square grooved wedges until 2024.
I thought there was something about any wedge manufactured before 2012 or 2013 was illegal.

At least that's what the salesman told me

If any rules stray from the USGA rule book, those should probably be noted in the league bylaws. Just add a section on anchored putters. If anyone doesn't like that, it can be brought up for discussion and vote at a league meeting.

As an example, our bylaws have a section on 'Improving Lie'. It states:
From the fairway a Player may move or improve his/her lie by a grip length (approximately 12 inches), no closer to the hole, by lifting and placing the ball (not cleaning the ball), provided the
ball is not in a hazard (i.e. water, sand or lateral hazard). The ball may not be cleaned except when permitted by USGA Rules. The penalty for violation of this rule is two (2) strokes.
This rule only applies to tournaments from Thanksgiving thru Easter.

Agreed. The League should have a published policy on which USGA rules it is not following.

I thought there was something about any wedge manufactured before 2012 or 2013 was illegal.

At least that's what the salesman told me

Not for us........Only for "official" USGA or Tour events.

At my home course of 43 years, weekend skins have always been played by the "rules" but a few years ago, we had a new retired guy about 65 years old move into the area, became a member and began playing is events like the club championship and weekend skins.

The kicker is, he is about 5'5" tall and uses a driver and woods 52 inches long. It is very strange to watch him hit them. The thought of the course and those "running" the skins games thought.....who cares, he is a 32 handicap.

So, since he is allowed to play, others have made it clear they will use shaved faced or illegal clubs and balls if they want. Many of tried to tell the guy he would be so much better with shorter clubs, but he has it in his head that he needs these super long clubs. This has caused a lot of "heated" discussions" because even a 32 handicap can make money in skins as they play ABCD. This along with the dive in conditions of the course, has lead me and my family to move to a new course this year.

You either play by the rules, or you don't and when you don't you open a giant can of worms.

You either follow the rules next year, or you don't. If you are going to allow an anchored putter and change the lost ball rules to your liking, what stops "gimmies" and "mulligans" ?

Back