Ben Crane Penalized for Non-Conforming Clubs

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Crane was issued two 4 shot penalties at the Web.com finals.

Both his driver and 6 iron had dot decals which he uses with his launch monitor for data. This made the clubs non-conforming and that meant a two stroke penalty per hole. Crazy part is it could have been a lot worse. Had he used the clubs before notifying a rules official, he would have been DQ'd

That's some crazy stuff.

Well, I guess it is probably against the rules then....but seems pretty silly to me

That is rough for just little decals. But rules are rules and good on him for confessing his violations.

man that sucks. seems like common sense to amend the rule to allow for correcting the issue without penalty if the clubs haven't been used yet. what advantage was gained? but as the rule is written it sounds like he was assessed the proper penalties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder how do the dots make the clubs non conforming?

• Admin
Wonder how do the dots make the clubs non conforming?

Having any kind of attachment to the club face rules it non-conforming.

Crazy for sure. As much as the rule may or may not be a bit over the top, these guys are Pros and need to be more careful.

if only he had the Foresight to check his clubs before his round

Crazy for sure. As much as the rule may or may not be a bit over the top, these guys are Pros and need to be more careful.

Yeah its a tough one. He is a Trackman "sponsored" player, so the irony is there.

Yeah its a tough one. He is a Trackman "sponsored" player, so the irony is there.
Haha, I'm sure Trackman is thrilled with this story and Foresight probably doesn't mind.

Silly rule as they don't give him any advantage but.....You would think the "rules golf gods" could come with a way to make them more reasonable!

Ouch...

Wow thats crazy, I'm pretty sure I saw those dots on someone's driver recently but can't remember where

Good on him for getting an official. Tough break. But rules are rules.

Good on him for getting an official. Tough break. But rules are rules.

And it's another reminder that there are way too many rules in golf and that they need to be greatly simplified when the new rule book comes out in the next couple of years.

I agree with the others who say that he should have been able to remove them without penalty since he hadn't started play.

Having any kind of attachment to the club face rules it non-conforming.

Gotcha. Didn't realize it was on the face. I thought it was on the back of the club around the cavity to track swing path with the dots.

But Lead tape is ok. Got it.

No, you cannot put lead tape on the face of the driver.

Only on the sole or back of the club?

Stiff penalty but I'm sure trackman isn't impressed. Lol.

This just reinforces why you won't see Foresight really grow in tour use until they figure out how to get rid of the stickers.

Back