PGG's Quest to Play All 50 States

Ya Pine Lakes was what 20 minutes from the PA border. And Chris is the man!

Pine lakes it is then, Friday am before the Pittsburgh Invite!

Do it thursday and i will meet you up there!

Ok let me see. A few things are up in the air right now, but that could work.

This is going to be quite the accomplishment when you complete it! If you make it out of South Dakota alive...its the worst place in the world...

As an update, I have been making plans for the season and things are shaping up nicely. At this point, it looks like the following states will be crossed off this year:

New York
Ohio
Tennessee
West Virginia

The above are pretty much nailed in, but am looking to knock off a few more, probably in the New England region. There is also an outside chance of playing in Utah, but many factors will have to line up for that to happen.

I'm looking forward to getting started. New York is probably going to be the first victim!

As an update, I have been making plans for the season and things are shaping up nicely. At this point, it looks like the following states will be crossed off this year:

New York
Ohio
Tennessee
West Virginia

The above are pretty much nailed in, but am looking to knock off a few more, probably in the New England region. There is also an outside chance of playing in Utah, but many factors will have to line up for that to happen.

I'm looking forward to getting started. New York is probably going to be the first victim!

Starting to knock them out!

I completed my fiftieth state when in Alaska a couple of years ago. That was the only state where I rented clubs at the Northstar Golf course near Fairbanks. It wasn't much of a course when compared to courses in the lower 48 but it was terrific for a course built on permafrost among their other challenges.

It was a great quest, I met and played with a lot of nice folks. For me it meant two long road trips in the west. Those states are huge, one trip I would drive half a day and play then get up the next morning drive and play again in a different state. The easy part was the northeast, nine states in seven days with about 20 different people, some very memorable.

Maybe our paths will cross one day in a distant state and we can tee it up.

I completed my fiftieth state when in Alaska a couple of years ago. That was the only state where I rented clubs at the Northstar Golf course near Fairbanks. It wasn't much of a course when compared to courses in the lower 48 but it was terrific for a course built on permafrost among their other challenges.

It was a great quest, I met and played with a lot of nice folks. For me it meant two long road trips in the west. Those states are huge, one trip I would drive half a day and play then get up the next morning drive and play again in a different state. The easy part was the northeast, nine states in seven days with about 20 different people, some very memorable.

Maybe our paths will cross one day in a distant state and we can tee it up.

That is awesome you got through them, good stuff. I told my wife what I was doing and we agreed that once Alaska remains the only state I need to play in, we're going to make a vacation out if it and get out there.

This year looks like it will be about knocking out almost everything east of the Mississippi. Then I'll have to start planning flights where I imagine doing something similar to you; driving from state to state for a few days/couple weeks before flying back home.

It'd be great to tee it up and hear a little about your adventure.

Good that your wife is on board with it. I never would have gotten the Northeast states without her help, she pushed me to get them done on one trip. You can do it, the driving, you learn some handy stuff like driving six hours jumping out and playing 18 without warming up to get it in before dark. Now it's nothing to drive 2-3 hours and run to the first tee.

Lots of fun, enjoy.

Time for an update on this thread. Thus far this year, I've hit 4 different states, Ohio, Vermont, Massachusetts and New York. I missed West Virginia and Tennessee is up in the air right now, but I'll knock them all out eventually. I will say it's been a blast this year, as every single round in a different state this year has been with THP.

I hit up Ohio the day before the Pittsburgh Invitational with 8 THPers at Reserve Run. It was a nice little track that had some fun holes and was quite scenic, right next to a larger river. The starter gave the longest and most incoherent speech I've ever heard. It was a great way to start off the weekend.

66d3cc74c8c0fd384fc82964f3af3d83.jpg

f7489e51b9e83c18abb10774c7d93d64.jpg

Spivey taking in the sights

7c77ae05adaabd38f94e63067bc4e186.jpg

Orange Hog with the wind up

For the New England states, O'Carroll was nice enough to take me around this last weekend and played all of the courses with me. In Vermont, we played the Equinox, which was a gorgeous course right at the foothills of the Green mountains I believe. It was my first time in Vermont and was really blown away by the scenery. The course was a great play as well.

3445b0783d7ef73e63b1c7344a4e1095.jpg

c416f46ae93512b5bdee1f68de3cca16.jpg

O'Carroll about to hit it over that mountain.

Next was Massachusetts, where the Mass. Get Together was taking place at Redtail GC. The course was a terrific play and ranked as one of the best in the state. Although I was battle worn from the prior night's festivities, I had a lot of fun and it was great to see a lot of old friends as well as meet a few new ones.

3fa2783bedc98aa89b43fb79d8f6d773.jpg

6de87cbb44e4bf96e9da0c33e84c764c.jpg

New York was last and we hit up a place in South Albany that used to be private called Normanside. I didn't take any photos, even though it was a fun round and the course was a nice classical lay out. Just wanted to focus on the day and relax and taking photos just seemed too much work. Pete and I played with a kid who was about to try and qualify at the course for his PGA pro card. We finished with dinner at a great Italian place, capping off a great weekend.

And that's what I was hoping when I started this, was to be able to travel to different places, try out different courses and have a blast along the way. It's been great so far and I'll keep it going until all 50 are in the books!

Great stuff, Chris. Hoping we can get together for a round soon.

Don't forget to update the first post!

If you make it to Utah, let me know and I'll either join you or help you find a good course.

You need a partner in crime for some of the obscure states, give me a call - especially for Oregon (Bandon) and Mississippi (Dancing Rabbit)

How far from west Virginia are ya?

You need a partner in crime for some of the obscure states, give me a call - especially for Oregon (Bandon) and Mississippi (Dancing Rabbit)

You are giving me an idea for next year....

Lakeview might be a good middle point option.
Pretty sure that's off of 77S Ghent is like 4 and change not too bad think it's a stones throw from God forsaken blacksburg

Contact me when you get around to playing in the Pacific NW.

Contact me when you get around to playing in the Pacific NW.
I'd love to tag along for some Pacific NW golf. If Chris' liver is up to it…?

I'd love to tag along for some Pacific NW golf. If Chris' liver is up to it…?

Lol, the liver is ready to re establish itself and will be ready to go for a PAC NW trip

Back