Does changing grips affect swing weight?

T-BONE82

Reaction score
Handicap
just wondering as i have considered getting clubs regripped but also heard that the weight of the grip could affect swing weight.

Re: Does changing grips affect swing weight?

T-BONE82 said:
just wondering as i have considered getting clubs regripped but also heard that the weight of the grip could affect swing weight.

a lighter grip could make it feel heavier at the clubface, but the average Joe probably wouldn't be affected by it.

For years the average grip weighed around 50 grams. Lighter grips are very popular now and some weigh as little as half of that. It could have an affect on swing weight, but I am not sure it would be enough for "most" amateurs to notice.

i overheard the guy at golfusa telling a customer that a midsize grip promotes a draw. why would that be?

i overheard the guy at golfusa telling a customer that a midsize grip promotes a draw. why would that be?

I would think that increasing grip size (going from normal to midsize) would actually prevent release of the clubhead, resultiing in more of a fade.

Re: Does changing grips affect swing weight?

bonknhead said:
I would think that increasing grip size (going from normal to midsize) would actually prevent release of the clubhead, resultiing in more of a fade.

Precisely

First it would depend on whether that size grip is what the golfer would be properly fit for in the first place. When I had my fitting done I was fitted for midsize grips. He said that to small or to big a grip will effect either a draw or fade. I really liked the feel of the Winn Lite grips but he didn't want to put those on my clubs as it would effect the swing weight, I am not sure I would notice that small a difference but went with what he advised.

hmm, thanks for the replies guys. i just didn't know what to think when i walked out of there. i guess i shouldn't eaves-drop.

Back