driving at the range

the boss

golf addict help me!!
Reaction score
Handicap
i struggle to hit my driver of of the range mat tees i cant seem to get comfy at the tee. i hit all my other clubs off the astro turf fine but when i tee it up i struggle i step out on to the grass and tee up and its a instant transion anyone else have this and why?

Is it possible that the tees are not the right height for you? I mean on the course you set the height to what's comfy...at the range, especially with rubber tees, you kind of have to take the height they give.

The only real problem I have with the tees at the range I go to is that they are not the correct height for my liking when I use the driver. Don't have any issues hitting from the mats although I would much prefer to hit from grass

Is it possible that the tees are not the right height for you? I mean on the course you set the height to what's comfy...at the range, especially with rubber tees, you kind of have to take the height they give.

i mean as in my stance i feel out of sorts and twisted i dont know whether im trying to line my self up to the lines of the mats rather than where im aiming but i cant seem to sort it out

I agree with m-910 and Mikef - it's probably tee height that's causing problems. I make it a point to never practice hitting my driver at ranges with mats for this reason. I'll wait until the ranges with grass tees are open. That probably why my tee shots at my first two outings of the year have been :bad:

it might have somthing to do with the surface not having a give. on a mat there is usually concrete underneat whereas playing fro the grass there is a certain amount of give. could also be your foot wear do you wear your golf shoes on the mats?????????????

it might have somthing to do with the surface not having a give. on a mat there is usually concrete underneat whereas playing fro the grass there is a certain amount of give. could also be your foot wear do you wear your golf shoes on the mats?????????????

yes i do wear my golf shoes its only my driver i cant get comfy with

could be more of a mental thing.........

have you tried using alignment sticks or putting clubs down for alignment?

My only problem with the range is the rubber tees are slightly high and almost all of the ranges around here only have mats to hit off of. It leads to a lot of balloned shots for me. I focus more on the direction of the shot than the flight though. If I can keep them going straight that is what I'm lookig for on the range.

Check and see if the tees are at a comfy height for you...otherwise it's a mental thing. Maybe try going through your usual Driver Pre-routine and get into a flow/rhythm.

My only problem with the range is the rubber tees are slightly high and almost all of the ranges around here only have mats to hit off of. It leads to a lot of balloned shots for me. I focus more on the direction of the shot than the flight though. If I can keep them going straight that is what I'm lookig for on the range.

Go to Dicks or Watts or Golfsmith and buy a package of the same type rubber tee stems they have in the mats there, you can buy a set of 4 or 5 of different lengths. All you have to do is pull up the mat, take their's out and put your shorter one in, you just have t o remember to switch them back when you are done.

It could be looking down and seeing yourself "in a box" throws you off. On a real tee box you don't have the hard lines (mat edges) staring back at you. In the end it's almost certainly all mental.

It was definitely the height for me. I could never get comfortable. I use these now, they can be put under any mat and adjusted how you like. Makes a world of difference.

217u6f0WaIL._AA300_.jpg

It could be looking down and seeing yourself "in a box" throws you off. On a real tee box you don't have the hard lines (mat edges) staring back at you. In the end it's almost certainly all mental.

i think this is the problem i tend to line myself up in the box rather than to where im aiming. my driving yesterday again was good on the course so i might just blank the driver down the range.

It was definitely the height for me. I could never get comfortable. I use these now, they can be put under any mat and adjusted how you like. Makes a world of difference.

217u6f0WaIL._AA300_.jpg

That's a great idea, I'm off to ebay to look for some

I have this same problem but I know what it is. I used to hit just fine off of mats and then one day I heard a guy across from me complaining that his drives were so bad because the mat was shifting a little and making the ball wiggle around on the tee.

At first I thought the guy was just making up excuses for his poor game, but after he said it I noticed what he was talking about. The mat was moving around noticeably when I start my downswing as well and the ball was wiggling just a little. It had never hurt me before, but once I noticed it I've never been able to hit driver off of mats since. I too feel I get all twisted up and my swing has a bit of a hitch in it because I'm trying not to move the mat.

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.

Let us know how the adjustable tee works out, I really have no idea what could be causing this situation other than the mental aspect.

i think its mental but i do after every 5 shots have to kick the mat square again

Let us know how the adjustable tee works out, I really have no idea what could be causing this situation other than the mental aspect.

I can only find them from a US seller and I am not paying £16 for shipping

Back