Anyone using an old BeCu putter?

ryebread

Reaction score
Handicap
Googolplex
I played with a brass putter for the first ~ 10 years that I played golf. I switched this year to the insert putter in my signature and rolled the ball quite well this season. I did fight some speed inconsistency, particularly with anything struck slightly off center.

I recently played a couple of rounds with a beryllium copper putter and found it highly enjoyable. It was completely different than my insert putter -- with much better audible feedback and considerably different ball speed off the putter head. It could just be all the years of playing with the brass putter coming back (sort of back to what I was used to and my roots), but I've found myself missing the all metal putter.

Growing up, I always wanted BeCu clubs but could never afford them. I was sad when they were banned (obviously for good reasons) and still think they're the most visually attractive metal widely used in club making.

I've now got a Ping Anser styled BeCu coming that I'm going to clean up (vinegar and salt) and regrip. I'm kind of excited about the project. I'm also curious to see if I putt any better with it, or if I end up sticking with the current insert putter.

Is anyone playing a beryllium copper putter? Is anyone gaming an older putter over the newer technology? Does anyone have an old BeCu Ping?

I do have a Ping Zing somewhere. Haven't used it in years. A Ping rep once told me to soak my Ping clubs in Coke. It makes them super shiny. Hard to believe I drink that stuff too.

Good luck with the project.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I have a set of Ping ISI BeCu Irons... not a putter but still BeCu

Are you sure it's copper? I have an old Anser 3 that is is manganese bronze. That's what they made many of them from in the late 80's - early 90's.

My old gamer was a BeCu Anser with lead tape on the sole. It lives in the bonus room these days and has a great patina on it. Ping also made some BeNi putters. These have a yellow tint to them and are great as well.

Coke will clean up the putter, but I don't like using it because it makes a sticky mess. I've always used Flitz metal polish. It works wonders and will not scratch.

I never liked the feel of insert putters, much prefer the metal on ball feeling and sound.

The new (to me) putter arrived today. I'm not sure I putted any better with it inside on carpet, but the audible clicking sound and look was really sweet.

I think if I could build the ideal putter right now it would be:
- Head shape, non-tapered shaft and Winn grip off of my Scottsdale Tomcat
- Made entirely out of BECU and with no insert.

Good luck with that! :bulgy-eyes:

I cleaned up the putter (long soak in vinegar + salt, and some scrubbing) and it looks fantastic. I played my first round with it and loved the look, sound and feel.

The results were a little mixed. On the con side, I missed some distances on long putts which practice should help cure. I uncharacteristically pushed a couple of short putts which was probably stroke, but may have been due to more toe weighting than I am used to. That will be something to keep an eye on. On the plus side, I knocked in some 10 footers that I typically miss.

I think that I will be gaming a Ping BeCu putter for the foreseeable future. Whether it is an Anser or a B60 remains to be seen as the latter may be closer in shape to my Tomcat.

More updates to come.

Refurbed Zing2

Refurbed Zing2

Yes - just started using a 30 year old Ping Zing2 putter in Berillium Copper - advertised as bronze - but Ping only did Steel an BeCu in this model, and it isn't steel. New Pure grip in traditional black and polished the corners to make it look regularly handled and then just beeswaxed it to make it look cared for. Cost me £35 with a new Ping headcover from a Karsten similar model - so no more dings. Touched up the paintfil with some tint of cream white paint from the garage.

imagejpeg

Yes - just started using a 30 year old Ping Zing2 putter in Berillium Copper - advertised as bronze - but Ping only did Steel an BeCu in this model, and it isn't steel. New Pure grip in traditional black and polished the corners to make it look regularly handled and then just beeswaxed it to make it look cared for. Cost me £35 with a new Ping headcover from a Karsten similar model - so no more dings. Touched up the paintfil with some tint of cream white paint from the garage.

imagejpeg
nice! We need some pictures!

Since you bumped this ancient thread, and I happen to have re-done an old BeCu, I figured I'd toss up a couple really bad cell phone shots.

It was a typical $20 tarnished-as-could-be putter when I got it. It looks like a bar of gold now.
It's really even shinier than the pics look.

#Simichrome

IMAG0168_zpsaa60d7ca.jpg

IMAG0167_zpse9728fed.jpg

It is the singer, not the song.

I have been using the same Ping Asner putter since 1989.*

*I have tried other putters, but always go back to Ping.

Toad: That looks awesome. What'd you use to do that (besides a lot of elbow grease)?

Click on pic for link.

^That and a tiny bit of Never Dull, and a cotton buffing wheel on my bench grinder.

But yes, my hands and fingertips did not appreciate this.

Back