2014 Adams Tight Lies Preview

Good thoughts Hawk on the hybrid. I saw it in the store recently and it looked great down next to the ball. I'm interested in that turf interaction because it looked to me to be less rounded on the sole than say a Bobby Jones, but not really like a Ginty styled hybrid like a Tour Edge Trilogy. Is it that perfect mix, or is it enough of a mix that it's not effective?

I think it's just different than both of them, but with the same goal or end-result. The sole should be especially good for uneven lies or balls in the rough. I almost hit it yesterday over some trees that were blocking me out on a dog leg, but it was a bad choice and I instead decided I'd punch it through. Was able to hit it off a very crappy bare lie of half dry mud and keep it about 10 feet off the ground with a fade that chased up towards the green, so I know it can be handy club to have in the bag.

I think it's just different than both of them, but with the same goal or end-result. The sole should be especially good for uneven lies or balls in the rough. I almost hit it yesterday over some trees that were blocking me out on a dog leg, but it was a bad choice and I instead decided I'd punch it through. Was able to hit it off a very crappy bare lie of half dry mud and keep it about 10 feet off the ground with a fade that chased up towards the green, so I know it can be handy club to have in the bag.

The more I think about it, the more that I think that it might be best suited as a hybrid and not a FW. I understand the FWs are effectively just slightly larger hybrids, but I think it is really a hybrid club intended to do what hybrids do (Swiss Army knife).

I used the hybrids in the first tournament at our club today. The hybrids are great from any lie and don't give up any distance on other hybrids I've owned. No issues from the tee at all (fairways were different). I'm becoming more impressed with them every round. Very good clubs.

I used the hybrids in the first tournament at our club today. The hybrids are great from any lie and don't give up any distance on other hybrids I've owned. No issues from the tee at all (fairways were different). I'm becoming more impressed with them every round. Very good clubs.

Do you like the hybrids more than the FWs?

Do you like the hybrids more than the FWs?

Yes MUCH better. I'm now considering the 22* hybrid, but once you get to that loft, nothing is really easy. The hybrids work better than an equivalent iron and imo as well as a FW wood.

Has anyone hit the Adams titanium FW against the Callaway x2hot. How did they compare?
I love the x2hot but wonder if the adams is even longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2Hot launches lower for me and was a good 15 yards longer. Same with XR.
Adams launched quite high and robbed me of distance there.

X2Hot launches lower for me and was a good 15 yards longer. Same with XR.
Adams launched quite high and robbed me of distance there.

JB: Was the TL high launch and high spin? I found that with last year's slotted models. They were pretty short for me, particularly on off center hits.

Anyone try the tight lies titanium fairway wood? I'm looking for a more versatile fairway wood for mainly off the deck, bad lies, light rough, etc, and this one looks like it would be good for that.

Anyone try the tight lies titanium fairway wood? I'm looking for a more versatile fairway wood for mainly off the deck, bad lies, light rough, etc, and this one looks like it would be good for that.

if you're asking about what's in my signature, then yes I have one :)

it's great off the tee. flight-able, workable, and hot. I have mixed success off the deck, and poor results out of rough. it's low launching even tuned up 1*, but that may be the shaft I currently have in it. I'm not all together unpleased, but the regular tight lies with the tour blue may go back in the bag.

if you're asking about what's in my signature, then yes I have one :)

it's great off the tee. flight-able, workable, and hot. I have mixed success off the deck, and poor results out of rough. it's low launching even tuned up 1*, but that may be the shaft I currently have in it. I'm not all together unpleased, but the regular tight lies with the tour blue may go back in the bag.

Interesting that you like it more off the tee because, based on the name and the sole design, I was thinking it would be more of a utility fw.

Interesting that you like it more off the tee because, based on the name and the sole design, I was thinking it would be more of a utility fw.

the tight lies I have is 2014 model I think, and then I have the ti but I'm not sure what model. the regular tight lies has, to my eye, a smaller footprint and is therefore easier to hit off the deck and out of sand and light rough. I can hit the ti as far as my driver though on a lower trajectory and more fade-bias. I might take some other shafts I have laying around and have them cut down to fw length to test whether the distance and trajectory I'm seeing is the shaft more than the head. the ti is not the par 5 killer I was hoping for, but it is longer than the regular.

the tight lies I have is 2014 model I think, and then I have the ti but I'm not sure what model. the regular tight lies has, to my eye, a smaller footprint and is therefore easier to hit off the deck and out of sand and light rough. I can hit the ti as far as my driver though on a lower trajectory and more fade-bias. I might take some other shafts I have laying around and have them cut down to fw length to test whether the distance and trajectory I'm seeing is the shaft more than the head. the ti is not the par 5 killer I was hoping for, but it is longer than the regular.

Thanks for the info. I was looking to try one of these today, but no luck.

Thanks for the info. I was looking to try one of these today, but no luck.

I went to the range this afternoon, and hit these two clubs against each other. my best swings with each produced dramatically different results. the confounding variables are that the tight lies is 16.5* and the ti is 13* tuned up to 14.5*, and the regular has a tour blue 65 r shaft and the ti has a axe tour sl r shaft.

best shots with the regular were spinny balloons distances was good, with the regular about 10-15y less carry than the ti. the ti trajectory was flatter, with tons more roll. the ti was more consistent with tighter dispersion.

the ti is a very good club with the right shaft. I wish j could get the ti performance in the regular packaging.

I went to the range this afternoon, and hit these two clubs against each other. my best swings with each produced dramatically different results. the confounding variables are that the tight lies is 16.5* and the ti is 13* tuned up to 14.5*, and the regular has a tour blue 65 r shaft and the ti has a axe tour sl r shaft.

best shots with the regular were spinny balloons distances was good, with the regular about 10-15y less carry than the ti. the ti trajectory was flatter, with tons more roll. the ti was more consistent with tighter dispersion.

the ti is a very good club with the right shaft. I wish j could get the ti performance in the regular packaging.

Thanks, the ti sounds good for what I'm looking for. I almost never hit 3w off the tee.

V Series is another option. That club is fun off the deck too.
The Jones is like stealing off the deck though. Nothing out there as good for that shot in my experience. The TL and V are good, but Mr Ortiz killed it with the Black fairways.

The Jones is like stealing off the deck though. Nothing out there as good for that shot in my experience. The TL and V are good, but Mr Ortiz killed it with the Black fairways.

I need to try one of those. Haven't had a chance.

Happy to say I'm adding a 4&5 steel to the bag for a bit, I've been trying to decide what to do about a 5 hybrid, can't wait to game both of them!

James

One question about the Blacks... on the Bobby Jones website, it says they launch a bit lower because of less spin. My concern, since my SS is down and probably will not be coming back up, is that these may not have enough spin to carry enough in the air for a lower SS player? Thoughts?

James

One question about the Blacks... on the Bobby Jones website, it says they launch a bit lower because of less spin. My concern, since my SS is down and probably will not be coming back up, is that these may not have enough spin to carry enough in the air for a lower SS player? Thoughts?
They launch easy and wonderfully, check out the homepage, Hawk reviewed them and there's a ton of info there that will help.

Is this a worthwhile upgrade from my Adams Pro Hybrids? Mostly for the purpose of added forgiveness...

Back