Review of club fitting at Bayonet / Black Horse (Monterey, CA)

chicogolf

This game's fun GDit
Reaction score
Handicap
Greetings Folks

I’m newer here and getting back into golf after a long layoff, so I’ve been on a steep learning curve. I’ve got a lot out of my time here on the forums thus far, and thought I’d give something back - even if it’s only applicable to the CA West coast folks and visitors. So, feedback is welcome and I hope I'm putting this in the correct area.

My situation, briefly, is that my equipment is old junk and I really need to replace the whole bag. I have purchased a TM Stage 2 Driver and 5 wood in R shaft. The rest of my bag is 10-15 year old stuff (Tour Edge Comp 950 irons R shaft - yuk; no name wedges, etc.). I currently play to a 15 handicap and, hopefully, heading down from there as I get to play more.

The most common fitting recommendation in my area is Haggin Oaks in Sacramento. For a full review of that facility, go here:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic...r-shop-ping-titleist-callaway-tm-you-name-it/

Link to Haggin Oaks: http://www.hagginoaks.com

My fitting review will not be as detailed as the above, due to a couple of factors: (1) I don’t have the skills of that reviewer and (2) I only did a partial iron fitting. I will explain as I go.

For those that haven’t heard of Bayonet / Black Horse, it is a top-notch facility and widely considered one of the best courses to play in the Monterey, CA area - and that’s before you factor in the value.

Main Link: http://www.bayonetblackhorse.com

The website explains that, each and every weekend, 8am - 2pm, they hold “Demo Days” where a player can hit some of the latest equipment - all on their beautiful all grass practice range. So, the first option, would be to just head out on a weekend, grab some clubs you’d like to hit, and have at it. The website also explains that they offer “Complimentary Fittings” for irons, woods, and wedges including use of a FlightScope X2 launch monitor. They also offer complimentary putter fitting using a high speed camera (nothing like SAM Lab or Tomi at his time). Putter fittings are normally offered in spring.

Here’s the details on “complimentary”: If you purchase clubs with them, the fittings are free. If you want to come out and just hit balls with new equipment without feedback, that is also free. If you go through the fitting process w/ the professional and don’t purchase clubs, you can pay $25 per club category and take the specifications with you. You can also decline to take the specifications with you and pay nothing. As I describe my fitting experience, I think this will make more sense.

I first contacted the fitters through their website appointment system. I received a return email from DJ, Assistant Golf Professional (and 2013 NCPGA Monterey Bay Area Club Fitter of the Year). We then spoke on the phone and I briefed him on my situation. I also informed him I was traveling quite a ways to reach the facility - about 220 miles 1-way (I like driving and was getting a day off from kids in the middle of vacation, which was nice…yay wife!).

First, I was 90min late for my appointment (sick kids up the night before). I phoned and spoke to DJ who said it wasn’t a problem. I arrived at 12:30pm. First impressions was the place was beautiful. Perfect weather and great facility. A huge grass driving range and ample pitching and putting areas. I wish I had taken more pictures and of higher quality, but here are a couple:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I checked into the pro shop and they told me to grab a cart and head down to the range. There I met DJ and another staff named Phillip and exchanged pleasantries. They handed me a bag of balls (Titleist PRACTICE balls), a wedge, and an 8-iron to go warm up.

Here’s where the fun began: I have been battling a tight shoulder for a few weeks and it did not cooperate this day. Basically, I couldn’t make a proper turn and, hence, couldn’t hit the freaking ball. At. All. I’m a 15 handicap but I was hacking it like a 30+. Shanks, thin, fat…everything. I was a mess and my shoulder was hurting and not loosening up and my swing was whacked. I told Phillip I was going to take a walk and pitch for a while and see if I could get a turn going. I did that for another 20min and headed back. I then took a couple more clubs and a bag of balls and went to the end of the range to figure things out. It took a while, but I got to where I was hitting it OK. Not great or typical for me, but ok. I was certainly more tense than usual and that wasn’t helping.

This is where I need to say that these people were incredibly understanding and patient with me. I was having major issues - like nothing I’ve ever had on a driving range, let alone in the few months since I’ve been back golfing. They were patient and encouraging. At one point, I joked that they should probably not get too close, as it was probably contagious. I’m sure they had a good empathetic chuckle or two (as I would have), but, really, they were fantastic and went beyond the call of duty in the patience department (and did so again later - see below).

So, I got into the bay with the launch monitor and started hitting. Buy this time, DJ was back from lunch and I dealt exclusively with him. I had already told him the shafts and heads I was interested in for irons. I exclusively hit the Project X 5.5 in the Mizuno EZ Forged, Titleist AP1 and AP2, and Adams XTD irons. I wish I could post numbers obtained with each head, but, I think I was a bit frazzled by the last 90min of ineptitude that I just listened to DJ’s feedback. He liked the numbers and flight the shaft was producing.

Here’s one thing that was interesting: DJ said that they don’t use a lie board fitting system. They use a system developed by Callaway. This involved putting a red stripe on the back of a ball and having a whack and looking at the placement and directionality of the line to determine lie angle, etc. Here's a link to a youtube video showing the technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhxOu6BFDZs&feature=youtu.be&t=3m40s

In the end, DJ’s recommendation was to go with AP2’s. I loved the feeling of them and he felt I have the swing foundation to make good use out of them. He also recommended I think about going 1/2” short, standard lie, as I was hitting a lot of shots fat. I think it was my crappy swing talking there and I also wonder if cutting the shaft will have an impact on flex, so I will likely stick with standard. The AP2 recommendation caught me off guard and I will be taking it under advisement. If I go with Titleist, I will seriously consider a combo set, most likely, of AP1 / AP2, as hitting the 4 and 5-iron in an AP2 has me a bit worried. I will see if I can get out with the 4 and 5 irons in ap2 and see how I do.

So, in summary, I did not do a full iron fitting but liked the experience, overall. DJ indicated that, were we starting from scratch, we would have used the Mizuno optimizer first and went from there. I had already given him my optimizer numbers, so we skipped that step. My only previous comparison was my non launch monitor fitting out of a mizuno cart w/ lie board, etc. It does appear that previous fitting got the shaft right re: PX 5.5.

So, we moved on to woods. We started with picking a 3-wood, as it is something I was willing to purchase that day, if possible. All 3-woods tested were in 15*. I started with the new Taylor Made Jetspeed which I hit well and liked the feel - definite improvement over the 12 year old Tour Edge I currently game. We took data on about 6 swings with that club, with my misses being my typical push right. Hooks were gone, however, as all the wood shafts I tested were in stiff. I game R shafts in my woods right now and this fitting really helped me realize I have that wrong.

We moved on to the Adams XTD fairway. I really liked this one, though the weighting was a bit odd as was the slot in the top. I hit it well, however, with less dispersion than with the jetspeed. We then moved on to the Tour Edge Exotics XCG7. I proceeded to hit this thing a ton, with a couple of shots going 260 (big for me). Mishits were still hit quite well and the club just appeared to want to go straight. I was in love. I decided to stop there and I purchased the Tour Edge.

At this point, it was about 2:45 or 3pm and DJ suggested we move on to drivers. I then asked “how long are you guys out here today?” He said, “Normally we’re here until 2pm”. Rut roh…I had thought they stayed out all day and had forgotten what the website said. I felt awful and apologized profusely. His response was, “You drove a long way to get here and I have nowhere else to be. It’s fine.” He was genuine and set me at ease. I was very thankful.

We then started with drivers. The first driver I hit was the Adams XTD driver then moved on to the driver version of the Tour Edge 3-wood I purchased. Both were just OK and launch seemed a bit low when struck well. DJ then started putting a few different clubs in my hand and I kind of lost track and just hit. At one point, we ended up with the Taylor Made SLDR and he started messing with the weight ‘sliding’ it toward he heel. He also, at one point, changed out SLDR heads entirely, going to a head with a bit less loft so he could get it to the correct face angle. That new head felt great and I hit it best. If I were able to afford a driver that day, I would have probably got the SLDR. One thing that became apparent to me re: woods was that I need to, at least, switch the shafts out in my TM RBZ Stage 2’s. I’d love to afford an SLDR, but it’s not in the cards right now.

By this time, I was pretty tired and not swinging really efficiently, still struggling with trying to protect my shoulder and not turning. I hit a few Vokey wedges and decided to pick up a 56-11. The thing felt like butter. Kind of an impulse buy, but anything is better than the 15 year old 56* I have right now.

Final Impressions: I was quite pleased with the experience. I cannot say enough about the kindness and patience of the staff - they truly went beyond the call of duty. It’s not like I was a big ticket player ready to drop $5k on equipment. Before I arrived, I told DJ that, out of loyalty, if I purchased irons it would be through my local club. His response to this was, “If the shoe was on the other foot, I’d want you to do the same. I think it’s great you’re going through your local club.” That pretty much sums it up.

If I had to do it over, I would have spent more time studying the monitor numbers. I’m sure DJ was providing accurate feedback, but it would have been best for my own education. I could have taken some pictures of the data and been able to report it here.

The $25 per area fitted is crazy cheap. So much so, I wanted to confirm with DJ that he was OK with me posting it. His response was that they prefer to promote the 'complimentary with purchase' part of their program, but don’t mind if some people just want the specs. My guess is there is some kind of run on people coming out just to get the specs, that price would change.

From reading the Haggin Oaks fitting, my guess is that it is a bit more detailed or at least exhaustive than what I experienced at Bayonet / BlackHorse with access to some more equipment. However, that could have just been a function of my inexperience and not having the forethought to thoroughly examine the launch numbers. For the money, however, you can't beat the Bayonet / Blackhorse deal. I think anybody within range of Monterey should go check these guys out. I plan on attending a putter fitting in Spring, for sure :).

matt

ps: While out on the range, DJ quoted me $249 on the driver (I had no idea what it cost). When I got down to the shop to pay, it was $299. Apparently, DJ was looking one line below at the non “beta” version. The Vokey was $129 which I believe is MSRP (my local club sells this wedge for $119 - found that out when I got home). They radioed down to DJ re: the oversight. He took $25 off my order. More than fair, IMO.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a good fitting and the DJ was excellent as a fitter and very patient. The AP2's you were fitted to are phenomenal from my experience with them. The combo is not a bad idea if you struggle with the long irons and like you already said try and get some time in with both before making that call.

Sounds like you had a good fitting and the DJ was excellent as a fitter and very patient. The AP2's you were fitted to are phenomenal from my experience with them. The combo is not a bad idea if you struggle with the long irons and like you already said try and get some time in with both before making that call.

I agree. My swing coach didn't agree with the AP2's in the long irons, but was open to having them in the scoring irons, say 7-G or so. We'll see.

Enjoyed reading that. Thank you.

Wow that sounds like a great fitting. Thanks for sharing and glad they helped you out.

Now that's the kind of fitting I'm talking about. Reasonably priced and by someone that has options for you knows what he is talking about...thanks for sharing

Great read. Thanks for posting. I dream of being able to have a full fitting like that, but with a couple young kids, it isn't in the cards right now. Sounds like a great experience.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

very cool! Have been looking for a place to get fitted that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg. Being in the East Bay there are a few options, but the ones with the best selection are Cool Clubs in the City or Hot Stix in Palo Alto, but both will cost $500+ for a full fitting not including a putter fitting.

This is a little further, but might be worth the extra time in the car.

Thanks for the thorough review!

As a user of AP2's, I gotta say they are an awesome club. And With Bayonet Black Horse being my local club, I also gotta say, it's an awesome facility. Haven't played either of the courses yet, but regularly use their practice facilities. Sounds like I may well be using them when it comes to changing my golf bats.

As a user of AP2's, I gotta say they are an awesome club. And With Bayonet Black Horse being my local club, I also gotta say, it's an awesome facility. Haven't played either of the courses yet, but regularly use their practice facilities. Sounds like I may well be using them when it comes to changing my golf bats.

Feel free to reply via PM, if you think it best...but do you consider yourself a good ball striker, or score with your short game? I think I'll just find out if I can hit the long irons...I have my doubts. My swing coach was pretty adamant against me getting the AP2's at all, particularly in the longer clubs. His suggestion was to wait until I can shoot consistently high 70's / more consistent ball striking. He just thinks I'll score better with the AP1's.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the write-up. I wish I could have done more with the monitor numbers, etc., but I think I got the point across. Having never been through a complete fitting, it was cool to have somebody watching you swing and just hand you clubs and make adjustments based on what they are seeing. Fun stuff.

My swing coach was pretty adamant against me getting the AP2's at all, particularly in the longer clubs. His suggestion was to wait until I can shoot consistently high 70's / more consistent ball striking. He just thinks I'll score better with the AP1's.

Great write up! My pro was the same when I went for my fitting, I went in wanting the AP2's (I cast too much and my ball striking isnt good enough), he told me if I wanted to hit it shorter and less consistently those were the clubs for me.....hahaha

Nice write up, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feel free to reply via PM, if you think it best...but do you consider yourself a good ball striker, or score with your short game? I think I'll just find out if I can hit the long irons...I have my doubts. My swing coach was pretty adamant against me getting the AP2's at all, particularly in the longer clubs. His suggestion was to wait until I can shoot consistently high 70's / more consistent ball striking. He just thinks I'll score better with the AP1's.

I should just say, in no way am I saying you should go against the advice of a pro. I'm a 12 handicapper, shoots normally in the low 80's but also the high 70's to mid 90's on my blow up days. Do I consider myself a good ball striker? Nope. I'd say average. For me, the AP2's have enough forgiveness to allow me to hit fairly consistent shots with all the irons (4-PW). They have a great feel to them and look fantastic behind the ball. Best clubs I've owned by a country mile. That's not to say the suit everyone of course.

Nice write up. Sounds like DJ is a stand up guy and I'm glad you found some stuff you liked. Thanks for the good read.

Enjoyed treading this. Thanks for posting. It sounds like you had a great experience with this and I hope the recommendations work good.

Man, that is such an awesome setup that they do that regularly. I just wish we had something close to that around here. Thanks for sharing.

Back