Starting Out W/ A Par 5

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Today Howzat and I played Waterlefe. A very tough test that starts out with a tough par 5. Tomorrow we are playing another courses that also starts with a par 5.

I have come to really like it as it gives you some room for error regardless of how tough it is in my opinion. What are your thoughts, do you like starting out with a par 5?

I always love playing par 5s no matter where it is on the card. So yea I would like to start on one

Today Howzat and I played Waterlefe. A very tough test that starts out with a tough par 5. Tomorrow we are playing another courses that also starts with a par 5.

I have come to really like it as it gives you some room for error regardless of how tough it is in my opinion. What are your thoughts, do you like starting out with a par 5?

True Blue #1 my friend. TB#1

Such a nice start to that golf course (and the Morgan Cup).

I don't mind starting out on a par 5. Generally par 5's for me leave a bit of room for error. I can hit a bad shot or two and still either make par or give 1 back so I don't mind starting out on them at all. Assuming I get a bit of range time to loosen up first of course!

I like it, gives you a chance to start off well, or a bad tee shot won't completely kill you.

I agree. Par 5's usually do lend more room for error and enable an easier par with a bad shot mixed in than a par 4 or par 3.

My favorite local course starts with an easier par 5. Great way to ease into it.

• Admin
The irony is the par 5 at Waterlefe that starts out has water to the right and long off the tee (dog leg left) and then on the approach shot and 2nd shot has water down the left the entire way and water past the green. Its a brutal hole, yet I still love starting with it.

I agree. Gives you a chance to settle in a bit, and if you come in hot, starting out with a birdie is never a bad thing.

Whether it be an easy or tough par 5, I love starting out with one, as my home course does. Probably helps pace of play starting off too.

My home course a few years ago started off with 2 par 5s. The first was about 530ish and dead straight with not a lot of trouble. The second was a long one with a creek about 105 yards short of the green and lots of trouble everywhere else. I enjoyed it as the first par 5 let you warm up a bit and then the butt kicking commenced.

I love starting out on a par 5. I love the way it just eases you into your round

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I prefer a par 4. Not of fan of any dog leg to start. A par 5 does give you some options and room for error however.

Much rather start with a par 5 than a par 3.

The irony is the par 5 at Waterlefe that starts out has water to the right and long off the tee (dog leg left) and then on the approach shot and 2nd shot has water down the left the entire way and water past the green. Its a brutal hole, yet I still love starting with it.

I like par 5's to start.
I HATE par 3's to start and we have a couple courses around here that start with 3's!

Man, I want to play that course!(Waterlefe) (I know, I might not be saying that by hole 4!, or maybe 2!, or mid way through 1)

In most cases I like it, though #1 at Eagle Pointe has not been nice to me lately

I think it is a nice way to begin a round, in my mind you can always have one bad shot on a par five and still have a chance at par. I usually make a six on the first hole regardless of what par is so at least it is just a bogey.s

My driving has been the worst part of my game as of late, and I've been far too stubborn about clubbing down off the tee on the par 5 that starts the course my league plays at. I really should hit hybrid/4i or something. I'd still be in position to hit two iron shots into the green, or worst case go up and down. So, I guess my dislike of the par 5 to start is really due to my poor decision making over anything else.

I like starting out & closing with a par 5. I've never tracked it, but I think I score better on par 5s than 3s & 4s.

I like starting with a par 5, such as the first hole at Mountain View in Sierra Vista. A 500 yard dogleg right that's long, but not particularly challenging. It does test most parts of your game, though. Driver, second shot, iron/wedge approach, and a putt. Getting par on that hole always gave a really good feeling because to me it meant that my game was generally clicking. At the same time, if you got bogey, it was usually because one part of your game slipped a bit, but it's not really a difficult enough hole to end up with a 7 or higher and really put a bad taste in your mouth, IMO.

I like starting on a par 5 for the same reasons you mentioned. Sounds like the start of Waterlefe might be harder than I'm used to starting, but would still prefer it to starting with a par 3.

There is one course around me that starts with an easy par 5. And for some reason I rarely birdie it. There are times when I walk off that green and think to myself that I really wish it was later in the round when I'm loose

Waterlefe is the only course that I can remember playing that started with a par 5. I hit a poor tee shot and a poor second shot but was still able to find a GIR. I like starting with a par 5 because you can make some errors and still card a 5 or 6.

I don't always have range time and I often don't swing the best off the tee on the first hole so I rather have a par 4 personally.

I think I have a better shot at making a par on a par5 and it would nice a way start to the round.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Back