Body clock issue?

Thedoswells

Reaction score
Handicap
GST 12.0
Hi
wondered if anyone else identifies with this.
most golf seems to happen in the morning, at the clubs I play at.
But I've never been able to play to the same level early in the morning.. I mean if I start before about 9am.
I get up, eat well, exercise, stretch. Get there early.
it doesn't work... I need to start after 11

any advice?
Cheers

That used to be the case with me too. It used to be after 12:00 noon for me or nothing at all. Take a look at what you are eating etc. I found that I just felt tired for early morning rounds.

JM

Yeah I make sure I eat well etc. but I can't swing the same, the rhythm is poor and ball striking is noticeably worse...
frustrating...

Is it because of pace? Early rounds are usually faster than later rounds.

10:00 am has always been my cut-off point for some reason. And I wake up at 6 every morning. Never have been able to explain it. Play most of my golf in the afternoon mainly because the course I play is much less crowded at that time.

Some of us try to tee off around 7:00am and done by 10:00.

I'm an early riser and usually play my best in the morning, my mind seems to be a little sharper

Have kids hehehe. I'm just used to being up early and operating with 5 or less hours of sleep

Is it because of pace? Early rounds are usually faster than later rounds.
Don't think so. I just can't seem to coordinate as well...

I'm an early riser and usually play my best in the morning, my mind seems to be a little sharper
I guess we are all just different...

Have kids hehehe. I'm just used to being up early and operating with 5 or less hours of sleep
Lol, already done that...:act-up:

I don't do anything well early in the morning LOL

I've discovered it is mostly about the pace. If I have to do a lot of waiting, my game gets worse. Especially if I am feeling rushed by group behind me. Otherwise, I play equally poorly early morning or later in the day.

I play my best in early morning weekend skins. The only thing I hate is always playing in the wet/damp at the start.

I play better later than earlier as well ... I also am able to get more lubricating fluid on board with a later tee time :act-up:

I play early in the morning, 8:00 being the latest, to avoid the summer heat and humidity. During the summer, my golf league tees off at 6:45 am. In the cooler weather, 9:00 or 9:30 is just fine.

I'd suggest not eating something super "heavy" for breakfast when you want to tee it up early. I'd suggest eating something with slower digesting carbs (for energy) and something that will get you going as well. So I usually go with a bowl (half cup) of oatmeal with a quarter or half an apple copped up and cooked with the oatmeal. Then, top it all off with some cinnamon.
As for stretching, you know your body better than anyone (of course), just make sure to stretch your back well, hit a small bucket of balls and have a great time!

Ahhh, the ol Circadian Rhythm. You're bodies natural clock that says when you feel awake or feel asleep. I'm a night person naturally. I can get 10 hours of sleep and I don't want to get up at 6am. I can get 4 hours during the day and be fine all night. You just got to do what's right for your body. Sounds like you'll be playing in late am or evening tee times.

I use to be that way until changed jobs and now i start work at 7am after 8 yrs i am no longer as much of a night owl

I've never really noticed much of a difference for me. I can be good or bad at any time I start. I would prefer to play in the morning, however. Unfortunately most of my rounds are in the afternoon.

I have always been more of a night owl but once I am awake in the morning I am awake so I haven't seen any issues with time being a huge factor.

I'd suggest not eating something super "heavy" for breakfast when you want to tee it up early. I'd suggest eating something with slower digesting carbs (for energy) and something that will get you going as well. So I usually go with a bowl (half cup) of oatmeal with a quarter or half an apple copped up and cooked with the oatmeal. Then, top it all off with some cinnamon.
As for stretching, you know your body better than anyone (of course), just make sure to stretch your back well, hit a small bucket of balls and have a great time!

lots of helpful stuff, thanks, and thanks to all for the comments...

I get up most mornings at 5 but can't seem to play well early. I play best anytime after 10 or 11 am.

Back