Arnie's 10 Rules for Good Golf Etiquette

Golf 'N Gator

Formally HoosierGolfer
Reaction score
Handicap
From GD online;

I. Don't be the slowest player

In my casual games at Bay Hill, we get around in under four hours -- and that's in fivesomes. Evaluate your pace of play honestly and often, and if you're consistently the slowest one in your group, you're a slow player, period. Encourage everyone to move quickly enough so you find yourself right behind the group in front several times, both early and late in the round.

Remember the old staples of getting around in good time: Play "ready golf" (hit when ready, even if you aren't away) until you reach the green, be prepared to play when it's your turn on the tee and green, and never search for a lost ball for more than five minutes.

II. Keep your temper under control

In the final of the Western Pennsylvania Junior when I was 17, I let my putter fly over the gallery after missing a short putt. I won the match, but when I got in the car with my parents for the ride home, there were no congratulations, just dead silence. Eventually my father said, "If I ever see you throw a club again, you will never play in another golf tournament." That wake-up call stayed with me. I haven't thrown a club since.

Throwing clubs, sulking and barking profanity make everyone uneasy. We all have our moments of frustration, but the trick is to vent in an inoffensive way. For example, I often follow a bad hole by hitting the next tee shot a little harder -- for better or worse.

III. Respect other people's time

Because time is our most valuable commodity, there are few good reasons for breaking a golf date. Deciding last-minute to clean the garage on Saturday, or getting a call that the auto-repair shop can move up your appointment by a day, just doesn't cut it.

Always make your tee times, and show up for your lesson with the pro a little early. Social functions are no exception.

IV. Repair the ground you play on

I have a penknife that's my pet tool for fixing ball marks, but a tee or one of those two-pronged devices is fine. As for divots, replace them or use the seed mix packed on the side of your cart.

Rake bunkers like you mean it. Ever notice that the worse the bunker shot, the poorer the job a guy does raking the sand? Make the area nice and smooth -- don't leave deep furrows from the rake. Before you exit the bunker, ask yourself, Would I be upset if I had to play from that spot?

V. Be a silent partner

During one of my last tour events as a player, I noticed another pro making practice swings in my field of vision as I was getting ready to hit a shot. I stopped, walked over and reminded him (maybe too sternly) that it was my turn to play. The point is, stand still from the time a player sets himself until the ball has left the club.

Even with the advent of spikeless shoes, the etiquette rule of never walking in someone's line of play on the putting green is an absolute. The area around the hole in particular is sacred ground. The first thing to note when you walk onto a green is the location of every ball in your group, then steer clear of their lines to the hole.

Know where to stand and when to keep quiet. Position yourself directly across or at a diagonal from a player setting up. Never stand on the line of play, either beyond the hole or directly behind the ball. When a player is about to hit a shot, think of the fairway as a cathedral, the green a library.

VI. Make your golf cart 'invisible'

Carts are very much a part of the modern game. Think about it: They're mentioned on the backs of scorecards, discussed in the Decisions on the Rules of Golf, bags and other items are designed specifically for them, and they're used at most courses. The sheer pervasiveness of them makes cart etiquette vitally important.

Your goal when driving a cart should be to leave no trace you were there. Because we tend to look where we're going and not where we've been, it's easy to damage the turf and not realize it. Avoid wet areas and spots that are getting beaten up from traffic. Golfers tend to play "follow the leader" and drive in single file out to the fairway before branching off. It's usually better to "scatter" -- everyone take a different route -- so cart traffic is spread out.

VII. Always look your best

From Bobby Jones and Walter Hagen to Ben Hogan and Sam Snead to Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson, the best players have been meticulous about their appearance. Their clothing has been sharp, and not one of them has shown up on the first tee with his cap backward, mud caked on his shoes, or his shirttail hanging out. (My shirt often came untucked, but it was my swing that did it. I started with it tucked in!)

Your appearance speaks volumes about you as a person, and the neatly appointed golfer, like a businessman or someone headed to church, gives the impression he thinks the golf course and the people there are special.

VIII. Turn off the cell phone

Nobody knows less about technology than I do. But I know enough to recognize a cell phone when it rings in my backswing. If I had my way, cell phones would be turned off at all times on the course, but most clubs have given in to the fact that people are going to use them. I don't know all the gadgets and settings on those phones, but do whatever you have to do to keep it quiet. And if you absolutely have to make a call, move away from the other players. And keep the call so brief that they don't even know you made it.

IX. Lend a hand when you can

It's easy to help out your fellow players, if you just pay attention. One obvious way is looking for lost balls -- better yet, watching errant shots so they don't turn into lost balls. Pick up that extra club left on the fringe or the headcover dropped next to the tee, and return it to its owner after saying, "Nice shot!" And if you see a cart out of position or a provisional ball that needs picking up, don't just walk by.

X. Learn the little things

There are a hundred bits of etiquette I haven't mentioned, like laying the flagstick down carefully, tamping down spike marks when you're walking off a green, letting faster groups play through, and so on. All of these things are learned by observing, with a sharp eye and a considerate heart. Just know that golf has a way of returning favors, and every piece of etiquette you practice will be repaid tenfold.

Pretty simple stuff there. Well said Arnie.

Very nice. Im assuming Arnie doesnt agree with Rickie Fowlers outfits

Some great thoughts, there. Fowler is always put together albeit a bit "louder" than back in Arnie's day. Far better than Daly's get ups.

I think looking for a ball for 5 mins is ridiculous. I have maintained that thought in many other threads. Firstly, pros don't need 5 minutes because a hundred pairs of eyes, not to mention TV cameras everywhere. That's one of the reasons I think "stroke and distance" for a lost ball is not fair for us imo. But trying to play a golf hole (as a foursome) in about 13 minutes imo is just not possible if 5 minutes is allowed for searching. That leaves 8 minutes to play the hole. It just does not add up. If a person has to do that twice in one hole or 2 separate people have to do it at different times or any combo of either or both it simply makes for far too much time wasted and an impossibility to keep pace. The rule really needs to be changed imo.

My suggestion and practices are - help each other look whenever practical to do so even if it means going out of your way a little. Look no more than a minute to maybe 2 mins tops and that's it. a couple to few sets of eyes looking for a solid minute or so is a good fair more than long enough search imo and if not found simply take your lump and move on. Even if only the one person is looking I still feel the same. 2 minutes tops. This imo is yet another reason for doing away with "stroke and distance". Just take a drop and count a stroke and move on without the distance part should be just fine imo. I give myself 2 strokes to help make up for the distance part just to be honest as possible with myself and my final score. But besides that stuff a 5 minute search rule is just far too long especially nowadays with pace always being on top of golf problems. It just doesn't work and cant work. Its just wrong imo. Imo a 5 minute search vs a minute to 2 mins goes from an honest search to being selfish and slow. Of course if its slowed up and your waiting then do what you want but outside of that scenario that rule really and desperately needs to be changed imo.

Rollin, how do you really feel about the 5 min rule?? :wink::D

I agree, however, that 5 mins is a long time. I look for a minute or so then drop where I lost it and add one penalty shot. Not sure if that is the rule or not but, I am not playing for money so no biggie.

As always, Arnie says it best. The group in front of us needed this yesterday.

Impossible to disagree with any of those.
Basically, don't be a dickweed.

Arnie knows what he is talking about! I agree with the above posters that 5 minutes is a long time for us to search for a lost ball. I think a minute or two is enough time for us to determine if the ball is lost, and then move on.

I hope that his first rule doesn't get people thinking that fivesomes are OK. Maybe fivesomes are OK for Arnie and his buddies, but for most golfers, going out in fivesomes could be a disaster.

I wish the 8th rule was enforced.

and I agree with all these rules

I like the point about slow play. If you are ever the slowest golfer in a given group, YOU are a SLOW golfer.

maybe this is like rounders when mike says "if you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker." but here's my question: how do you know if you're the slowest player? do you keep a timer in your mind of how long it takes each guy to hit, starting the clock when the last guy hits to the time this guy gets off the tee or back in his cart, then compare that to your own time? do you count the number of practice swings/strokes the other guy takes and compare that to your own?

in my first ever round with thp'ers this weekend at liita, i told erky on the first hole that no one has ever accused me of being a fast player, but that i was working on it. my own perception - and i ABSOLUTELY welcome anyone who played with me to correct me as it's something i am not defensive about and willing to try harder to fix - is that i wasn't any slower than the guys i played with.

what i'm getting at is that arnie wants a slower player to pick up the pace once he realizes he's the slow player. but how do you figure that out???

If I follow rule 8, how will I update the Live Round thread, record video for The Hole of the Day thread and take pictures for the Pictures of the Course thread? Also, Golfshot for GPS and stats. Sorry, Arnie.

I think looking for a ball for 5 mins is ridiculous. I have maintained that thought in many other threads. Firstly, pros don't need 5 minutes because a hundred pairs of eyes, not to mention TV cameras everywhere. That's one of the reasons I think "stroke and distance" for a lost ball is not fair for us imo. But trying to play a golf hole (as a foursome) in about 13 minutes imo is just not possible if 5 minutes is allowed for searching. That leaves 8 minutes to play the hole. It just does not add up. If a person has to do that twice in one hole or 2 separate people have to do it at different times or any combo of either or both it simply makes for far too much time wasted and an impossibility to keep pace. The rule really needs to be changed imo.

My suggestion and practices are - help each other look whenever practical to do so even if it means going out of your way a little. Look no more than a minute to maybe 2 mins tops and that's it. a couple to few sets of eyes looking for a solid minute or so is a good fair more than long enough search imo and if not found simply take your lump and move on. Even if only the one person is looking I still feel the same. 2 minutes tops. This imo is yet another reason for doing away with "stroke and distance". Just take a drop and count a stroke and move on without the distance part should be just fine imo. I give myself 2 strokes to help make up for the distance part just to be honest as possible with myself and my final score. But besides that stuff a 5 minute search rule is just far too long especially nowadays with pace always being on top of golf problems. It just doesn't work and cant work. Its just wrong imo. Imo a 5 minute search vs a minute to 2 mins goes from an honest search to being selfish and slow. Of course if its slowed up and your waiting then do what you want but outside of that scenario that rule really and desperately needs to be changed imo.
Fwiw, 5 minutes is the longest allowable time by the usga.

Rollin, how do you really feel about the 5 min rule?? :wink::D

I agree, however, that 5 mins is a long time. I look for a minute or so then drop where I lost it and add one penalty shot. Not sure if that is the rule or not but, I am not playing for money so no biggie.

well, the rule is "stroke & distance" for a lost ball. Your technically suppose to go back or just hit a provisional for the sake of when knowing your first ball has a good possibility of not being found.

But there are a few scenarios and problems with this. Many amateurs have just as much chance at also hitting an errant provisional ball too. Not an issue for better players but certainly for many. And also many times a ball may be hit borderline woods/weeds/whatever where the person or group feel its a very findable ball but only after truns out that's not the case. Or also when you all believe a ball was hit well enough in play and yet is simply hidden somewhere like under a leaf, in a divot, in the rough, etc....or perhaps a blind shot that hit a sprinkler head and went god knows where. There are imo just too many scenarios for not hitting a provisional or not believing you need to hit one but only after the fact. What can you do?

As said, I look at it for counting 2 strokes because I feel its the best way to make up for the "distance" part of the penalty. I mean if ya went back and hit again (like we are suppose to do) then we would be hitting 4 from that next shot so hitting 3 is not really reflecting a more honest score. However I will only do that when I know that I hit a bad errant shot that went significantly into the woods/weeds/ whatever. If its a borderline shot or errant but into an open area we don't have the advantage of a hundred sets of eyes watching our ball. Heck, we even lose balls in the rough after pretty good shots. So then I'll give myself just the 1 stroke unless of course it was an organized competition where that rule must be followed. Its just not a fair penalty imo while the pro's ball is always found for him via all the coverage and eyes. Not only do they avoid "stroke&distnace" but as a result of the help they don't even lose one stroke. So imo why in the world should we suffer both S&D (or 2 strokes). Its just not right imo. And is also why 5 minutes is much too long. They don't even need a minute due to all the help so why in the world is 5mins the rule? The whole thing (the penalty and the time to search)needs to be rethought for lost balls. I mean you can hit a ball in lateral water and drop/stroke but hit into lateral woodline (basically same exact shot and yet it becomes "stroke and distance"?). Imo that just shouldn't be.

not sure of your point blue
I think that's too long.
Does that get changed to 2 minutes anywhere? I've never heard if it does.

No, you can look for a ball for 5 minutes before you have to take your penalty. It's one of the rules clearly stated by the USGA. I didn't say it was right or made sense. But by the letter of the law, I can take a full minutes to look for a ball, once I get up to the point where I believe it is. The 5 minutes wasn't just an arbitrary number that Arnie fell on to.

Arnie is the absolute best.

I get the complaints about cellphones, but no one needs to shut off the world for four hours just to golf. Set it to vibrate if it's in your pocket or silent if it's in a cup holder in cart. Boom, zero distraction.

what i'm getting at is that arnie wants a slower player to pick up the pace once he realizes he's the slow player. but how do you figure that out???
If you're the highest handicap, you're already the slowest player. Fast players go straight to their ball with a club or two in hand, take a practice swing, and hit the ball. Slow players walk to their ball, walk back to the cart for their rangefinder, get a range, go back to the cart for a club, take a few practice swings, then hit the ball.

I'm sometimes guilty of doing exactly that slow thing when I'm not paying attention. On the other hand, I mostly try to be as quick as possible because I'm already slowing things down by taking more strokes.

I noticed it the most in the East Texas Masters. On Sunday I was playing with Kapsularian and someone else. There were some holes where Kap was sitting in his cart for like 5 minutes waiting for us to get up to his tee shot so he could hit again. It's funny how much faster a long driver who hits the fairway can play than a short hitter who knocked it into the trees off the tee, had to punch out, then hit a third shot off the fairway.

The day the 8th rule is enforced is the day I stop golfing, at least as much as I do now.
I expect everyone to have a phone with the on the course and respectful use of a phone during a round is no problem. The problem is guys talking for 45+ minutes of every round and holding up play. I had to take an important call on the course last week and I went behind a tree out of bounds and skipped the hole. It's just common sense to pick up your ball and skip the hole if you have to take a call but all too often on public courses I see guys talking on the phone holding up play. I don't think cell phone use is the primary contributor to slow play but it's just one more thing that makes a 4:15 hour round all too common these days.

Last edited:
These are great rules or really guidelines to follow. I remember learning to play and having to ask my buddies all these questions regarding proper conduct on the course. These sum it up pretty nicely, great for any beginner.

Now that I think of it I am going to share these with my Junior Golfers.

If you're the highest handicap, you're already the slowest player. .

That is so not true and couldn't be furthest from truth. It is one of the biggest misguided logics there are.
There are tons of good mid and low cap players who are the slowest players of all. especially around the greens. And very often, better players who are slow are oblivious to the fact that they are too slow and because they are good they falsely believe it cant be themselves who are slow.

True this, heck look how long pros take to play as a 2 some

That is so not true and couldn't be furthest from truth. It is one of the biggest misguided logics there are.
There are tons of good mid and low cap players who are the slowest players of all. especially around the greens. And very often, better players who are slow are oblivious to the fact that they are too slow and because they are good they falsely believe it cant be themselves who are slow.

I know plenty of guys who shoot in the 90's and 100's who can get around in 3:15 or less. We have a handful of low single digit players at our club that not many will play with, including me, because they can't finish a round in under 4 hours. At least they let everyone play through. It's painful to watch them read putts and go through their routines on the putting green.

Back