Alright y'all .... Cleveland 588 Altitude irons or Wilson Di11's...???

stcjones

Reaction score
Handicap
I know a lot of you have hit these two iron sets....you are playing a round on the TOUGHEST,tightest, and LONGEST course in your area.....and you have ONE of these two iron sets to play with there.....Which one do you go with???? I am looking to buy one of these iron sets within the week and want the straightest and longest iron set.....I have hit both but want your opinions! Last point of concern....are they equal as far as turf interaction as I have bad shoulder and need a non digger.....thanks so much!!!

Very different to me, while both doing something similar.
The Altitudes are unique in their specs being no/low offset hollow body design iron with soft metal creation to offer a soft feel that sets neutral in hybrid form.
The Di11 irons were larger club head designs with more offset to raise the ball flight and offer max forgiveness.

Two solid options. For me, I have both and prefer the Altitudes.

Alright y'all .... Cleveland 588 Altitude irons or Wilson Di11's...???

I've hit both and heavily lean toward Altitudes. They are not even close to being diggers and the forgiveness is nearly unmatchable.

They make golf easier..and I loved them (still have a set).

I have had my Altitudes for about 8 months now and my game (especially long irons) has improved dramatically. I've never hit the Di11 clubs but I can tell you that the Altitudes took me from being happy to break 110 to now consistently shooting in the low 90's.

For me, Alt's by a large margin. BUT, most of that is the lack of offset, I adored that.

I love my Alts. The only problem I discovered is I found better distance and consistency with the 588 3 and 4 hybrid in place of the 5 and especially the 4 Alts.

I haven't hit the Altitudes but there is a large number of THPers that game them from the signatures I've seen. They look strange but if they play like hybrids they should be easy to launch. The D line I've hit but they were the Di7 with the fat shaft steel TT 105 uniflex. Great distance iron but a little too much offset for my liking. I've since harnessed a smoother, more efficient and consistent swing but don't limit yourself to 2 options. The D100s are dirt cheap right now and they did away with the fat shafts.

I think that JB really presents this well. They're different designs.

I've played the Cleveland XLIs, HB3s and the Altitudes all in both graphite and steel. They are all effectively the same design, but I like the Altitudes in graphite the best. The forged face and bendable hosels are nice, but I really like the more durable cavity fill that negates the need for head covers.

I've played a lot of SGI iron sets including K15s, some mega-forgiving models from Callaway and even an ultra high end JDM set. Basically, these are some of the most forgiving iron head designs out there. I've not played the Wilson Staffs in question, but can't expect they'd offer much more forgiveness than some of these ultra-forgiving SGI iron sets I've owned.

Long story short, I put Altitudes in the bag about a year ago and put them on lock. I'm not a good golfer, but I have had far better results from the Altitudes than I deserve time and time again. Do I hit every shot perfectly? Nope. Do I miss badly? Rarely. When I track my round results, I consistently find the fewest blown shots with the Altitudes. I also have set more personal course bests with the Cleveland hybrid iron sets than with any other setup.

The only way I see the Altitudes coming out is if Cleveland/Srixon replaces them with something that performs better, and that I find visually more appealing. I'm anxious to see their next replacement line, whenever that might drop.

I honestly have never considered the altitudes due to looks but if you can get past it they would probably suit the new golfer and offer easier to hit playability. As far as turf interaction goes the D line is fairly chunky with wide, cambered soles so they may not be an issue for you. In the end the only way to know is do a side by side and factor in feel, length and accuracy. Both of these sets are dirt cheap at the moment.

I had the D100s and I loved them. They can be had real cheap too on rockbottomgolf.com and ebay

Very different to me, while both doing something similar.
The Altitudes are unique in their specs being no/low offset hollow body design iron with soft metal creation to offer a soft feel that sets neutral in hybrid form.
The Di11 irons were larger club head designs with more offset to raise the ball flight and offer max forgiveness.

Two solid options. For me, I have both and prefer the Altitudes.
Really interesting.....thanks to all for great insight. Didn't expect Altitudes to run away with this contest!!! Do any of u prefer the Altitudes because you are more of a hybrid/fairway wood player than an iron player??? I know for me....my iron play is my strong point....hybrids and fairway woods are a bit of an inconsistent struggle....thanks to all of you for phenomenal feedback....and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Really interesting.....thanks to all for great insight. Didn't expect Altitudes to run away with this contest!!! Do any of u prefer the Altitudes because you are more of a hybrid/fairway wood player than an iron player??? I know for me....my iron play is my strong point....hybrids and fairway woods are a bit of an inconsistent struggle....thanks to all of you for phenomenal feedback....and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

FWIW, I gamed the alts for a long time as well and I'm a big iron guy and divot taker, these work best IMO when you hit them like an iron and not a hybrid. It's tough for some to get though their heads (several who couldn't jive with them had this issue of wanting to hit them like a hybrid) but I took beaver pelts with these with no issues. So don't let the ball striking iron play part worry ya.

FWIW, I gamed the alts for a long time as well and I'm a big iron guy and divot taker, these work best IMO when you hit them like an iron and not a hybrid. It's tough for some to get though their heads (several who couldn't jive with them had this issue of wanting to hit them like a hybrid) but I took beaver pelts with these with no issues. So don't let the ball striking iron play part worry ya.

I am the same exact way as the above. No issue taking large divots (which I do because I am steep).

I preferred them because they were stupid easy to hit and the forgiveness is as good as it gets.

And yes to your question, I also prefer hybrids over irons....especially from 5/6 down.

well with all these smashing altitudes reviews I might have to pick up a set on the bay just to tinker with. They have a set for like $120.00 free shipping.

Just to throw in a mention for the 588 MT Irons. How do they compare to the Altitude Irons? I haven't played either, but I am planning to visit a local store very soon and try out a few sets. There is a good deal at the moment on the Cleveland clubs so I'm just curious.

It's probably stupid on my part, but the look of the club makes a difference for me and even with all the rave reviews and even knowing THPers that are or have gamed them, I can't get past the looks. The Altitudes are fugly. I've played the Di11s and liked everything about them, solid club all the way around.

It's probably stupid on my part, but the look of the club makes a difference for me and even with all the rave reviews and even knowing THPers that are or have gamed them, I can't get past the looks. The Altitudes are fugly. I've played the Di11s and liked everything about them, solid club all the way around.

I said the same thing about them, until I saw my scores get better.

We're all different, I moved away because I wanted something more demanding (glutton for punishment), but the alts in my bag taught me to care less about looks. It was a great lesson for me, I'm thankful to this day I put them in the bag, I can play anything now.

I said the same thing about them, until I saw my scores get better.

We're all different, I moved away because I wanted something more demanding (glutton for punishment), but the alts in my bag taught me to care less about looks. It was a great lesson for me, I'm thankful to this day I put them in the bag, I can play anything now.

Did you game them for awhile? At some point I will have to try them. I'm not great with hybrids either, that might be part of my aversion.

I haven't played the Wilson Di11's unfortunately, but whole heartedly endorse the Altitudes. I switched from a set of TM Burner 2.0's, and I was hesitant. I loved my old irons, and the day my Altitudes arrived the Burners came out of the bag.

I had struggles, I admit, I would hit a couple shots a round with the Altitudes that were absolutely terrible. Low screamers, absolutely disgustingly hit balls. I remember one hole especially. Topped a tee shot on a Par 3, watched as it bounced down the fairway. I teed up another, just to get the first out of my mind. I hit the 2nd tee shot high, on target, and it landed soft. Went off in search of the 1st tee shot, couldn't find it. Kept searching, and finally found it in the greenside rough. The poorly struck shot had actually gone the same distance. It was offline mind you, but maybe 10 feet off the side of the green. I thought it would have been 50 or 60 yards back, but distance wise it was still right there.

My favourite, unlike many others, is my Altitude 4 iron. I know what to expect every time I swing it, no matter if it is off the tee, from the rough, or from the middle of the fairway.

Did you game them for awhile? At some point I will have to try them. I'm not great with hybrids either, that might be part of my aversion.

About 3/4 of a season. I could go back to them this second.

They look hybrid-like, but like I mentioned up above, they are meant to be hit like irons, down and through.

I'm the same way. They have to look presentable at least and those look like Mount St Helens after it erupted and blew a hole in the side of the hill. Fugly is being polite. I didnt want to say anything negative about a club I haven't hit yet but dang them are butt ugly irons.

I haven't played the Wilson Di11's unfortunately, but whole heartedly endorse the Altitudes. I switched from a set of TM Burner 2.0's, and I was hesitant. I loved my old irons, and the day my Altitudes arrived the Burners came out of the bag.

I had struggles, I admit, I would hit a couple shots a round with the Altitudes that were absolutely terrible. Low screamers, absolutely disgustingly hit balls. I remember one hole especially. Topped a tee shot on a Par 3, watched as it bounced down the fairway. I teed up another, just to get the first out of my mind. I hit the 2nd tee shot high, on target, and it landed soft. Went off in search of the 1st tee shot, couldn't find it. Kept searching, and finally found it in the greenside rough. The poorly struck shot had actually gone the same distance. It was offline mind you, but maybe 10 feet off the side of the green. I thought it would have been 50 or 60 yards back, but distance wise it was still right there.

My favourite, unlike many others, is my Altitude 4 iron. I know what to expect every time I swing it, no matter if it is off the tee, from the rough, or from the middle of the fairway.

That 4i is a cannon tee club. I miss it.

I'm the same way. They have to look presentable at least and those look like Mount St Helens after it erupted and blew a hole in the side of the hill. Fugly is being polite. I didnt want to say anything negative about a club I haven't hit yet but dang them are butt ugly irons.

Which made it all the more fun to take $ off people at the course.

Which made it all the more fun to take $ off people at the course.
I bet. Imagine throwing some Rip Phenoms or recoils in th them tudes and you can probably hit the moon.

Back