Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Driver Review Thread

Went through my first ever fitting today and my fitter recommended this driver for me. Have a few shaft and swing weight related questions I have sent to Callaway, Once I get those resolved, the trigger will be pulled on this driver along with a V Series 3 wood and Heavenwood.

For those that are curious about the lower spinning shafts, I have a 6m3 stiff Black Tie with an optifit adapter for sale in the marketplace sub-forum. If you're interested check it out and feel free to make an offer. The optifit adapter from Big Bertha will fit the alpha 815.

I just came up with an idea. I'm gonna try this when mine comes in and on the LM.

I was looking into the R15. And they say the head is more stable/forgiving with the weights moved to either ends.

Well I think I might try something similar with the BBA 815. How? I'll pull out the GC and add heavy weights in both weight ports. I have a boatload of Optifit weights ranging up to 15gr. So I would be able to make up the SW and keep it near stock SW and at the same time transfer the weight outwards towards the toe & heel.

You'll find out how this went in my review or if it was a dumb idea.

That seems very interesting. You're talking about pulling out the Gravity Core and then adding weights on the outsides, perimeter weighting if you will. Will be interesting to see what your launch and spin numbers are and of course distance. Should be a great little experiment to test even more versaility in the fantastic technology.

That seems very interesting. You're talking about pulling out the Gravity Core and then adding weights on the outsides, perimeter weighting if you will. Will be interesting to see what your launch and spin numbers are and of course distance. Should be a great little experiment to test even more versaility in the fantastic technology.
That's exactly what I'm thinking of doing.

Why pull the gravity core? The head is designed to be played with the gravity core.

If both weights on the outside are equally "heavy" I wouldn't think the gc would have an effect on the stability, since it is laterally close to the c.o.g.

Why pull the gravity core? The head is designed to be played with the gravity core.

I can only wonder how different it is going to sound. hollow?

Trying it won't hurt. Who knows.

Something tells me though this might increase MOI cause even if I were to add 12gr in the weights with the GC removed they sit further back.

I also sense that with more weight on the toe this will add forgiveness on those toe strikes.

Now this is just a hunch and nothing more. We'll see.

Last edited:
Trying won't hurt but I had a coversation w. Callaway about the weights that you can shift around to adjust the swing weight. From that conversation it seemed clear that to have the driver work as it should the combined weight had to be 8g.

"The normal set-up for this driver are 8g totals with both weights (1+7g or 3+5g). As the club head gets heavier, the swingweight is affected (7+5 or 7+3) and may alter the feel of the club in your swing. When research and development of this driver took place, they did a lot to find the right swingweight (8g) and by increasing this amount, you may see a small decline of clubhead speed and releasing the club through the downswing may be a little bit harder. Same in reverse, if you lighten the clubhead (1+3 or 1+5), you may see a small increase of clubhead speed but loss of control.
5 in the heel and 3 in the toe would most likely be the best way to neutralize the setting while keeping the standard amount control and feel for the club. All of this information is very dependent on your swing though and would require tinkering with to find the right match for your swing. I would recommend for standard/standard everything:

Starting from the clubhead down the shaft, set the cogs to “N” and “S” and have the weights as 5 in the heel and 3 in the toe. If you have any other questions on this let us know!"

That said, I look forward to the results of your little experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying won't hurt but I had a coversation w. Callaway about the weights that you can shift around to adjust the swing weight. From that conversation it seemed clear that to have the driver work as it should the combined weight had to be 8g.

"The normal set-up for this driver are 8g totals with both weights (1+7g or 3+5g). As the club head gets heavier, the swingweight is affected (7+5 or 7+3) and may alter the feel of the club in your swing. When research and development of this driver took place, they did a lot to find the right swingweight (8g) and by increasing this amount, you may see a small decline of clubhead speed and releasing the club through the downswing may be a little bit harder. Same in reverse, if you lighten the clubhead (1+3 or 1+5), you may see a small increase of clubhead speed but loss of control.
5 in the heel and 3 in the toe would most likely be the best way to neutralize the setting while keeping the standard amount control and feel for the club. All of this information is very dependent on your swing though and would require tinkering with to find the right match for your swing. I would recommend for standard/standard everything:

Starting from the clubhead down the shaft, set the cogs to “N” and “S” and have the weights as 5 in the heel and 3 in the toe. If you have any other questions on this let us know!"

That said, I look forward to the results of your little experience

Your post has conceived a new ponder for me. I have many different weights and now want to see what performance differences are with 7-1 and 5-3 weight configurations

Your post has conceived a new ponder for me. I have many different weights and now want to see what performance differences are with 7-1 and 5-3 weight configurations

Happy to contribute to your pondering

The weight combo I beleive is just a result of the total weight and standard swing weight.

I understand what your saying but what I am suggesting is to remove the 12gr Gravity Core and add an additional 12gr in the two ports. Say 15gr + 5gr.

As for if the club works with the GC & heavier or lighter weight combo it does.

I had my best results with the BBA with 15gr + 1gr weights & GC down. I like a heavy swing weight donut was perfect for me and swapping the GC up or down showed spin did change in the LM.

Last edited:
The weight combo I beleive is just a result of the total weight and standard swing weight.

I understand what your saying but what I am suggesting is to remove the 12gr Gravity Core and add an additional 12gr in the two ports. Say 15gr + 5gr.

As for if the club works with the GC & heavier or lighter weight combo it does.

I had my best results with the BBA with 15gr + 1gr weights & GC down. I like a heavy swing weight donut was perfect for me and swapping the GC up or down showed spin did change in the LM.

Deffoes let me know the results. It's like golf powergaming haha

I have no idea why donut showed up in my post. Stupid autocorrect.

Got my first chance to take the 815 out for a round I hit 11 of 14 fairways only about 5 yards shorter than the SLDR but dead straight it was so easy to hit i found that i need to tee the ball a little lower than i do with the SLDR. I was able to put a few out 260 with no roll. I hit both drivers on the first 3 holes and then played the 815 the rest of the round there was no need to hit more than one driver the results on the first 3 holes 815 avg 245 and hit 3 of 3 and the SLDR avg 252 and hit 1 of 3 i will give up 7 yards any day to be in the short stuff. I did not think it was possible that the SLDR could get kicked out of the bag but it looks like it might happen. My brother was disappointed in the my performance with the club he was hoping the SLDR would be very similar so he could get the 815 into his bag after testing. It was funny hearing him tell me that 7 yards is too much distance to give up even if i was in the fairway ( He loved the 815 when he tested it on the range)

Got my first chance to take the 815 out for a round I hit 11 of 14 fairways only about 5 yards shorter than the SLDR but dead straight it was so easy to hit i found that i need to tee the ball a little lower than i do with the SLDR. I was able to put a few out 260 with no roll. I hit both drivers on the first 3 holes and then played the 815 the rest of the round there was no need to hit more than one driver the results on the first 3 holes 815 avg 245 and hit 3 of 3 and the SLDR avg 252 and hit 1 of 3 i will give up 7 yards any day to be in the short stuff. I did not think it was possible that the SLDR could get kicked out of the bag but it looks like it might happen. My brother was disappointed in the my performance with the club he was hoping the SLDR would be very similar so he could get the 815 into his bag after testing. It was funny hearing him tell me that 7 yards is too much distance to give up even if i was in the fairway ( He loved the 815 when he tested it on the range)

Beautiful! Can I ask which shaft you had on it?

Ace- take a look at my post earlier. I went from around 3k spin with 2014 BB w/chrome elements to under 2k avg with Rogue Silver 60.

Granted the BBA815 is a low spin head compared to the BB, but the Rogue's characteristics are low/mid spin

I can't seem to find the Speeder 565 which is the standard shaft of the 815, in the chart. Do you have an idea where that shaft lies?

Right, so a realatively low spinning shaft. I think that's the way to go for me as well

It is one of my favorite shafts I wish i had the Rouge to Try i think that might be a real winner on this driver

I can't seem to find the Speeder 565 which is the standard shaft of the 815, in the chart. Do you have an idea where that shaft lies?

It is suppose to be a new yet unreleased shaft so it will not be available on the Titleist chart yet

It is suppose to be a new yet unreleased shaft so it will not be available on the Titleist chart yet
I think it is just a tweaked version of the Speeder 569 which is on Fuji's website. Callaway probably had it altered slightly to work better with their heads for a majority of golfers.

I think it is just a tweaked version of the Speeder 569 which is on Fuji's website. Callaway probably had it altered slightly to work better with their heads for a majority of golfers.

But it has be stated these are new releases and will appear on the Fuji site and are not a made for shaft.

Ah ok so generally a shaft that creates alot of spin. Not what we want peoples!!

Back