Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Driver Review Thread

Hey mate,
Did you have a chance ti find this chart? I'm dying to see it
Cheers,
Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry man I forgot about that. There are two charts; one gives the numbers for Max CARRY, and the other for Max TOTAL.

TrackMan-Page-2.png

8440754845_c83324bf28_c.jpg

Any news from Callaway on your questions mate? #SuperExcited!

They responded back that they wanted me to call their customer service. Doing that tomorrow so hopefully will get my order in then.

I finally got to play the BBA 815 today with the Diamana S+. Some strong winds today but still saw very good results. The club rewards a smooth swing with a nice penetrating ball flight and above average distance. If I got quick it went left but that is always my miss. Today I kept it steady and found a healthy number of fairways (9) and when I missed the FW it wasn't by much. Definitely saw distance gains. My favorite aspect was the flight, mid high but it hangs there. FWIW I played with the chrome+ today.

Sorry man I forgot about that. There are two charts; one gives the numbers for Max CARRY, and the other for Max TOTAL.

TrackMan-Page-2.png

8440754845_c83324bf28_c.jpg

Thanks! This is extremely useful! #GolfPowerGaming

Just hung up with Callaway. Order placed for Alpha 815! 665 Speeder stiff at 45". Also ordered 2 V Series fairways (15.5 3 wood and 20.5 Heavenwood) with same shaft.

Just hung up with Callaway. Order placed for Alpha 815! 665 Speeder stiff at 45". Also ordered 2 V Series fairways (15.5 3 wood and 20.5 Heavenwood) with same shaft.
That's awesome! 3 great clubs right there.

I should be able to contribute soon to this thread with more detail soon. Just got news this morning mine is on its way. YAY

Awesome!! Congrats!

How do you determine if you need extra length? All my irons are +1inch, but the last driver I bought I was told I shouldn't add length to it (might have been bad advice though).

I should be able to contribute soon to this thread with more detail soon. Just got news this morning mine is on its way. YAY

Awesome dude. Cannot wait to read your thoughts and comparisons.

That's awesome! 3 great clubs right there.

That should be a good set i might wait to see if the new 815 Fairway is on its way

Awesome!! Congrats!

How do you determine if you need extra length? All my irons are +1inch, but the last driver I bought I was told I shouldn't add length to it (might have been bad advice though).

Had them take a half inch off the stock 45.5" driver and a quarter inch off of the fairways to lengths I was more comfortable playing. Was able to specify swing weight with them as well.

The sound is definitely contagious. Reminds me a lot of a hybrid between this year's Bertha and Alpha.

I would agree it is a very pleasing sound not dead but not a Tin can . To me it reminds me of the Titleist 909

Glad you will get in on the Act I am going to have to wait a few more days before i get to hit mine again a big storm is going to hit the WC over the next few days

The stage has been set. Simulator booked for 2 hours on the 10th with the rest of the day open.

Now let's hope the driver gets here on time. Something tells me I'm going to cut it to close.

I spent an hour or so comparing the 815's to my current Alpha today.

First and foremost these are very sweet looking at address, with the acoustics to match. I've learned to love the sounds produced by my current gamer. With the newest line following suit quite nicely.

Taking shaft option out of the equation my testing was done with my current shaft that was fitted to me last year at Callaway.
The 815 is a great club, lateral forgiveness is very much there in comparison to the DBD. I was striking the ball a touch high on the face. Which still produced quality distances launch angles. Very similar to what I've come to appreciate with my gamer. Where this thing impressed me most it when I struck the ball more out on the toe. My normal launch conditions were producing a slight right to left flight (-500 to -600 side spin ) with 13 degrees of loft and 3100 total spin. When I found my way towards the toe I got up around -1200 in side spin. A little more pronounced draw but very playable.

Swing speeds for me were right around 107 on the day so distance was pretty decent. I'm not overly concerned with total distance but carry distance is a big thing. Landing in the 260-265 range was pretty much the norm.

As far as the DBD went. I'll just say it's too much club for me right now. Good swings produced big numbers, but the average was not anything is be happy to play.

I left there thinking its a nice club, but it's not enough for me to abandon my current gamer.

Good stuff Kevin. I can't wait to try this one out along with a few others sometime early next year.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Driver Review Thread

I spent an hour or so comparing the 815's to my current Alpha today.

First and foremost these are very sweet looking at address, with the acoustics to match. I've learned to love the sounds produced by my current gamer. With the newest line following suit quite nicely.

Taking shaft option out of the equation my testing was done with my current shaft that was fitted to me last year at Callaway.
The 815 is a great club, lateral forgiveness is very much there in comparison to the DBD. I was striking the ball a touch high on the face. Which still produced quality distances launch angles. Very similar to what I've come to appreciate with my gamer. Where this thing impressed me most it when I struck the ball more out on the toe. My normal launch conditions were producing a slight right to left flight (-500 to -600 side spin ) with 13 degrees of loft and 3100 total spin. When I found my way towards the toe I got up around -1200 in side spin. A little more pronounced draw but very playable.

Swing speeds for me were right around 107 on the day so distance was pretty decent. I'm not overly concerned with total distance but carry distance is a big thing. Landing in the 260-265 range was pretty much the norm.

As far as the DBD went. I'll just say it's too much club for me right now. Good swings produced big numbers, but the average was not anything is be happy to play.

I left there thinking its a nice club, but it's not enough for me to abandon my current gamer.

That's a great review. I have a 2014 BBA as well currently. How much of an improvement was the forgiveness of the 815 compared to the 2014 BBA?

That's a great review. I have a 2014 BBA as well currently. How much of an improvement was the forgiveness compared to the 2014 BBA?

Based on my swing today, I'd say it a little more forgiving with regards to distance, 5-10 yards. Spin wise maybe a difference of 200 rpm of side spin. Which is really nothing. I did not play with the gravity core at all.

Based on my swing today, I'd say it a little more forgiving with regards to distance, 5-10 yards. Spin wise maybe a difference of 200 rpm of side spin. Which is really nothing. I did not play with the gravity core at all.

Ok thanks mate. I'm not worried about length too much. The forgiveness I need is sideways.

I basically need the 815 to move off-sweetspot hits from out of bounds to the second-cut rough

Well the other day I was dying to try the new drivers so I had an appointment setup to hit the new offerings and to say I was excited was an understatement.

When I got to the shop they only had the 815 with a Diamana S+ shaft in S. Not my first choice of shaft but it wasn't the worse offering either. I did get a head in 9° and tuned it down to 8 and neutral face, my preferred setting, and after I little warmup I started cracking some drives.

I will say the forgiveness on this club is pretty good. High, Low, toe or heel I was getting pretty similar results and that was promising. How those shots got there was a little different but all the misses were very playable and the well hit ones were pretty good as well. Was seeing an average of 240 yards of carry with 2700+ RPMs of backspin but the killer for me was the huge sides pin I was seeing. I am not sure if it's just me or the club, I do tend to start hooking the ball more indoors for some reason, but I was really seeing a lot of left to right spin. Right around 1200-1500 RPMs.

I will say that I enjoy the sound of this driver quite a bit. I think they improved in the 2014 BB series and that's not an easy task to accomplish. A nice thwack with just a hint of a metal ting. Very pleasing to the ear for sure.

Looks wise it looks super slick and streamlined. Not a large 460° by any means and close to the kind of head I prefer. I will say the black crown with black face leaves a little to be desired, I was not a fan when they did it on the RFX, hoping it is not a major issue if I do decide to move to the new line.

All in all though, the package is complete and really does improve over the predecessor. I think anyone looking for a new driver should give this a go.

That is actually a really good description of the sound. That is it exactly.

Dan, I'm with you on the face/crown color. The Black on black is a big negative to me. I thought it was an issue only because of indoor lighting, but even when I got to hit the DBD outside I found it hard to delineate the face from the crown

Interesting Dan. I really disliked the black crown and bright chrome face of last year's offerings.

The framing of this was a non issue for me today. Didn't really even notice a difference till you mentioned it buddy.

Interesting Dan. I really disliked the black crown and bright chrome face of last year's offerings.

That is interesting. Just goes to show how mental we all really are. Haha

Back