Wilson Staff D200 Driver Review Thread

Going to be interesting to see what shaft options you are offered.

I'm debating how low spin of a shaft I'll need in order to keep this head in check. I usually use shafts in the mid range and I'm hesitant to stray from there.

This head with the right shaft is silly long. I've hit Emarts several times and it has been a blast to see the the results. Long towering drives never offended anyone.

This head with the right shaft is silly long. I've hit Emarts several times and it has been a blast to see the the results. Long towering drives never offended anyone.

You will crush souls in Myrtle with this thing, Kevin.

You will crush souls in Myrtle with this thing, Kevin.

its fun watching a light driver work for a guy with 100+ mph ss and the ball not balloon or spin to much. it will be crazy to see what he does with this and a different shaft.

its fun watching a light driver work for a guy with 100+ mph ss and the ball not balloon or spin to much. it will be crazy to see what he does with this and a different shaft.

Possibly skimmy, but what shaft do you have in it? Stock?

yes Stock in the Stiff.

Just wait until you play it with a shaft fitted to your swing. It'll feel like a brand new driver, the Tour Blue was like night and day for me compared to the stock shaft offered.

I recently learned that more loft helps me keep the spin down because I have a negative angle of attack. The whole concept of lofting up to reduce spin is mind boggling to me, but it worked due to my swing. I'm playing my 588 Custom @ almost 11*.

I'll probably go with the D200 in 10.5 & experiment with lofting up or down.

Just wait until you play it with a shaft fitted to your swing. It'll feel like a brand new driver, the Tour Blue was like night and day for me compared to the stock shaft offered.
I'm not sure what shafts will be available right now. In time

Let's talk shafts!

Aldila Tour Green 65
2. Aldila Tour Blue 65
3. MRC Kuro Kage Black 50 HBP
4. UST Elements Chrome 44

I play the Bertha Alpha with the alpha 60 x flex currently

Any thoughts?

Well now that the shaft options are out, makes it even harder haha. I'm sure I should know, but what's the difference between the tour green 65 and tour blue 65?

I'm hoping to personal distance guys can weigh in on this.

As said before a fun driver to hit in stock setup and could be even better with right shaft pairing. Looking forward to the decisions guys make here

After receiving the options I immediately choose the D200 at 13* with an Aldila Tour Blue shaft. I haven't yet decided on 'S' flex or 'X' flex but right now am leaning towards an X, and will decide after spending some more time with this shaft over the next week.

Let's talk shafts!

Aldila Tour Green 65
2. Aldila Tour Blue 65

I play the Bertha Alpha with the alpha 60 x flex currently

Any thoughts?

I'm no expert by any means, but having hit your current setup and the first 3 shafts of the 4 available, I would hazard a guess that the tour green is going to be the most comparable to what you have now. Again, opinions are my own based on personal experience and feel and do not represent any actual expert knowledge on the said subject. But I did actually stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so, I got that going for me.

Let me ask a question that's been crawling around in my head about this driver for those of you who are into shafts, etc. Since we just received our shaft options this morning, it has kicked my brain into overdrive (I know, don't overthink it).

Background: I have been gaming a D200 since Personal Distance. I was fitted for a 9* head with a RIP Phenom Stiff shaft. It was very close between the Phenom and the Tour Blue at the time. The fitter basically told me it was a coin flip between the two I don't remember if I hit the Tour Green shaft. They also took a little off the shaft for me, because the stock setup was 46". Mine is at 45.5". My swing speed varies between 99-104. Ball flight is mid to high, fairly straight with the occasional high block right.

Knowing this, it would be pretty easy for me to choose a 9* with Tour Blue S as my Legacy driver. If I do that, it gives me essentially the same driver I have now with very slightly different characteristics, though the characteristics would change slightly due to us using heavier grips (D200 usually has a lightweight grip).

I have been toying with the idea of lofting up and going with a lower lauch/spin shaft. So a 10.5* head with a Tour Green shaft in S flex. Do you guys think the club would perform in a similar manner? While this event is primarily about competition, the idea of coming home with essentially the same exact driver I already have is sort of boring.

The other option is a 10.5* head with the Tour Blue, which would likely give me more carry. My understanding is that these courses put a premium on carry.

TLDR:
  • Get a driver that's basically a clone of what I already have
  • 10.5* with Tour Green
  • 10.5* with Tour Blue

Let me ask a question that's been crawling around in my head about this driver for those of you who are into shafts, etc. Since we just received our shaft options this morning, it has kicked my brain into overdrive (I know, don't overthink it).

Background: I have been gaming a D200 since Personal Distance. I was fitted for a 9* head with a RIP Phenom Stiff shaft. It was very close between the Phenom and the Tour Blue at the time. The fitter basically told me it was a coin flip between the two I don't remember if I hit the Tour Green shaft. They also took a little off the shaft for me, because the stock setup was 46". Mine is at 45.5". My swing speed varies between 99-104. Ball flight is mid to high, fairly straight with the occasional high block right.

Knowing this, it would be pretty easy for me to choose a 9* with Tour Blue S as my Legacy driver. If I do that, it gives me essentially the same driver I have now with very slightly different characteristics, though the characteristics would change slightly due to us using heavier grips (D200 usually has a lightweight grip).

I have been toying with the idea of lofting up and going with a lower lauch/spin shaft. So a 10.5* head with a Tour Green shaft in S flex. Do you guys think the club would perform in a similar manner? While this event is primarily about competition, the idea of coming home with essentially the same exact driver I already have is sort of boring.

The other option is a 10.5* head with the Tour Blue, which would likely give me more carry. My understanding is that these courses put a premium on carry.

TLDR:
  • 10.5* with Tour Green
  • 10.5* with Tour Blue

I see the conundrum here haha. I think at the end of the day any combination you mentioned will work out just fine for you, but if you want what you already know is BEST for you you'll want to match what you got in the fitting.

TLDR:
  • 10.5* with Tour Green
  • 10.5* with Tour Blue

Interesting position. I would lean towards something different than what I have but something I can still play consistently in competition.

the need for more carry would lead me to loft up. Shaft wise I would go lean tour green. Last time I hit these I don't recall the difference in launch and spin being to far apart...been 2 years or so since I got them side by side. I might go tour blue if I kept same loft and tour green if I lofted up

I asked this in the Legacy thread, but it was recommended I post here as well to get additional opinions.

Alright THP. I need your vast knowledge to help me determine shaft choice for the D200 driver.

I recently switched to the Motore Speeder VC6.2 to help tame my back spin caused by a negative angle of attack & it worked wonders. Which one of the available choices below is going to be most like the Speeder?

Driver - D200 in any of the shaft below
1. Aldila Tour Green 65
2. Aldila Tour Blue 65

I asked this in the Legacy thread, but it was recommended I post here as well to get additional opinions.

Alright THP. I need your vast knowledge to help me determine shaft choice for the D200 driver.

I recently switched to the Motore Speeder VC6.2 to help tame my back spin caused by a negative angle of attack & it worked wonders. Which one of the available choices below is going to be most like the Speeder?

Driver - D200 in any of the shaft below
1. Aldila Tour Green 65
2. Aldila Tour Blue 65

tour green is my reccomendation.

Back