The Official Tiger Woods Thread

I love that everyone is freaking out about Tiger playing a normal round of PGA level golf.

I love that everyone is freaking out about Tiger playing a normal round of PGA level golf.

Don't really see anybody freaking out, but it's nice to see compared to his last few tournaments.

Don't really see anybody freaking out, but it's nice to see compared to his last few tournaments.

Apparently you havent been on Social Media at all today.

We know way too much about athletes today. And because of that we find out things like this when in decades past I don't think we would have. That was my point
All the more reason to keep your discreet in your pants.

The Tiger thread hasn't left the top posts page for a few days...but I haven't heard much about Phil. Both are just at the rumor mill at the moment, but is one really worse than the other? Or is Tiger just that much more noteworthy and/or polarizing?

All the more reason to keep your discreet in your pants.

But who's business is that? Not ours. Not the medias. Not TMZ's. Just seems like there is zero privacy in today's world and it's not just with athletes. Thanks to Facebook I no longer care to see half my family because A.) I already know what's going on with them so there's no reason to catch up on things and B.) I can't stand what they're doing. School reunions are a thing of the past. Phone calls? What's that?

The point I was making is people have their own demons. But it's no one else's business but theirs and it just seems very judgmental to talk down about anyone without knowing all the facts

The Tiger thread hasn't left the top posts page for a few days...but I haven't heard much about Phil. Both are just at the rumor mill at the moment, but is one really worse than the other? Or is Tiger just that much more noteworthy and/or polarizing?

There is a huge thread on the Phil issue, but gambling vs these allegations?

But who's business is that? Not ours. Not the medias. Not TMZ's. Just seems like there is zero privacy in today's world and it's not just with athletes. Thanks to Facebook I no longer care to see half my family because A.) I already know what's going on with them so there's no reason to catch up on things and B.) I can't stand what they're doing. School reunions are a thing of the past. Phone calls? What's that?

The point I was making is people have their own demons. But it's no one else's business but theirs and it just seems very judgmental to talk down about anyone without knowing all the facts

Let me ask you this. If one of your coworkers, slept with your wife, would it be news around your office and circle? Of course it would. Now compound that with if the person portrayed and benefitted from putting out a squeaky clean image and family man.

Just so happens that celebrity increases that circle, and does so in lieu of huge rewards. Its not hard to not cheat on someone. Its far easier to end something, be honest about something, etc. Im not saying that someone should have an opinion or not have an opinion, but the entire "its their life" seems off to me.

It was OJ's life, Mike Vick's life, Kobe's life, Big Ben's life, etc (or to move away from crimes, use any player involved with drugs). All of their issues were off the field/court/game. And I am certainly not comparing them to a cheater/liar. My point is that if someone says to you, here is a billion dollars, all you have to do is be honest with the world....Odds are many could do it. Instead we have athletes profitting off images that are complete ******** and then when the truth comes out, it turns to "Well its my life". Then quit parading your kids, family and values in front of the world.

I say all of this and say that I am not commenting on the current situation, as I will wait for the facts to come out and lean towards it's ********, but live by the sword die by the sword and when you treat those around you a certain way, eventually it comes back to bite.

Illegal gambling seems pretty bad to me. 3 million bones and his biggest sponsor is a financial firm. Just saying, that's potentially very ugly...

Illegal gambling seems pretty bad to me. 3 million bones and his biggest sponsor is a financial firm. Just saying, that's potentially very ugly...

Are they really a financial firm though?

KPMG? Financial Firm?
And as mentioned, there is a huge thread on it. I cant see how that relates to cheating with allegedly cheating with a coworkers wife, after a huge scandal like #UglyHookerGate, game in complete dissaray for a year, etc, but some will find a connection I guess.

this is an interesting issue. norms, morays, ethics, laws. they are different. I think many, maybe even most of us, would say that breaking up a marriage by sleeping with an acquaintance's spouse while you are dating a woman who has forged a relationship with your children is less forgivable than gambling. and yet gambling is illegal (kind of), while infidelity isn't. as long as Phil wasn't betting on anything in his own sport, I don't care, any more than I would care if he got a speeding ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are they really a financial firm though?

Financial advisers and tax accountants all work together with their clients for the best tax strategy. So if it's perceived as him hiding 3 million in gambling earnings, that's a big tax issue. Just depends on the facts of the case.

Not to mention a lot of families are torn apart by gambling problems too. As JB says, it's a matter of what people are willing to tolerate from their favorite athletes/celebrities.

Financial advisers and tax accountants all work together with their clients for the best tax strategy. So if it's perceived as him hiding 3 million in gambling earnings, that's a big tax issue. Just depends on the facts of the case.

KPMG has had more than it's fair share of public embarrassments and incidents all on it's own, including the largest criminal tax case ever filed...I doubt Phil Mickleson's gambling is even on the radar.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/KPMG-to-Pay-$456-Million-for-Criminal-Violations

I know that is why I posed the question

sorry, missed the context on tapatalk...didn't realize you were being rhetorical

Wouldn't the ability to hide $3mm in illegal, offshore gambling funds actually be a good thing for a tax/accounting firm? After all, that's exactly what their clients pay them to do!

Wouldn't the ability to hide $3mm in illegal, offshore gambling funds actually be a good thing for a tax/accounting firm? After all, that's exactly what their clients pay them to do!

no it's not. that's not what we do. at least, that shouldn't be what any of us CPAs do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KPMG? Financial Firm?
And as mentioned, there is a huge thread on it. I cant see how that relates to cheating with allegedly cheating with a coworkers wife, after a huge scandal like #UglyHookerGate, game in complete dissaray for a year, etc, but some will find a connection I guess.

Difference being one is illegal and will land you in jail, the other is not.

But Tiger,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Difference being one is illegal and will land you in jail, the other is not.

But Tiger,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hysterical...Par for the course, but hysterical.
And once again, point that there is a thread for Phil's gambling "issue".

It was OJ's life, Mike Vick's life, Kobe's life, Big Ben's life, etc (or to move away from crimes, use any player involved with drugs). All of their issues were off the field/court/game. And I am certainly not comparing them to a cheater/liar. My point is that if someone says to you, here is a billion dollars, all you have to do is be honest with the world....Odds are many could do it. Instead we have athletes profitting off images that are complete ******** and then when the truth comes out, it turns to "Well its my life". Then quit parading your kids, family and values in front of the world.

I say all of this and say that I am not commenting on the current situation, as I will wait for the facts to come out and lean towards it's ********, but live by the sword die by the sword and when you treat those around you a certain way, eventually it comes back to bite.

My view of this is simply not to buy into or be swayed by the image in the first place. For me athletes, politicians, celebs are people - not examples. Maybe Im not as dedicated as a follower of sport, or just not invested enough, but when I am entertained by an athlete exhibiting their talent I am indifferent to their personal life/issues. That has applied to misconduct (real or alleged) from Mike Vick, Tiger, Nicklaus, Vernon Maxwell, Bagwell, Rory and any other athlete/celeb.

Even with a 24/7 news media enjoys revealing every minute detail, my stance is that I really dont know these folks and never will. I dont correlate these individuals with my personal values, and dont draw a connection with them based on some perceived similarity.

Did he or didn't he? Who know????? ..... aside from many on this thread who apparently have the inside scoop; and some tabloid, which is what this thread is becoming. There's an old saying about Glass Houses.

Did he or didn't he? Who know????? ..... aside from many on this thread who apparently have the inside scoop; and some tabloid, which is what this thread is becoming. There's an old saying about Glass Houses.

Which applies if you're doing the same thing or in a similar situation but attempting to deflect on others while having those same faults.

Lucky for me I'm not a man-***** or an all around terrible human being.

I have never cheated on my wife or slept with a coworker's wife.

But I still like watching Tig golf.

Back