Mike Davis and the USGA

Just seemed like a supreme effort to take a course the pros would normally tear up and make it "the toughest test in golf"

Haven't been a huge fan o what they've done the past two opens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too much Mike Davis? YES! (Shouldn't even know these people's names. Who's the head of the R&A?)

Courses getting a little too weird? YES! (If I'd wanted to see the Putt Putt National Championship I'd have gone to Myrtle Beach for it)

That's easy, Peter Dawson.

A little off topic but I've been reading about PoaCure, a targeted herbicide from a South Korean company that will be bringing its product to the US in 2016. It doesn't touch the other grasses and only attacks the poa annua. It can be used on greens and fairways. Sounds like it is showing up a year too late.

I think Mike Davis is a mad scientist. Not in a good way.

However, given his history and recent successes over the past decade, there is no better man for the job

My thoughts exactly.

If there was some else who wanted to do this job, with all that it entails, that person isn't saying much.

Too much Mike Davis? YES! (Shouldn't even know these people's names. Who's the head of the R&A?)

Courses getting a little too weird? YES! (If I'd wanted to see the Putt Putt National Championship I'd have gone to Myrtle Beach for it)

You do understand that it's not Mike Davis putting his name out there? It's the media pointing the attention at him. He is responsible, but in no way is he running around saying "I'm so cool, I'm really going to stick it to these players. Look at me."

Having spent some time with some officials from the USGA, I can tell you that despite often baseless opinions to the contrary from the public, they do really care about the game of golf and doing everything they can to promote and preserve it.

That's certainly not to say that they're perfect or never make mistakes, but the assumption that Mike Davis is an egomaniac hell-bent on ruining golf for his own glorification is going too far.

Just seemed like a supreme effort to take a course the pros would normally tear up and make it "the toughest test in golf"

I honestly think what Mike Davis did at Merion was his crowning achievement.

You do understand that it's not Mike Davis putting his name out there? It's the media pointing the attention at him. He is responsible, but in no way is he running around saying "I'm so cool, I'm really going to stick it to these players. Look at me."

Having spent some time with some officials from the USGA, I can tell you that despite often baseless opinions to the contrary from the public, they do really care about the game of golf and doing everything they can to promote and preserve it.

That's certainly not to say that they're perfect or never make mistakes, but the assumption that Mike Davis is an egomaniac hell-bent on ruining golf for his own glorification is going too far.

I don't think I said anything remotely like that.

As to the first point, "Focus on the players please" is how you handle those media requests if you aren't interested in the spotlight.

I don't think I said anything remotely like that.

As to the first point, "Focus on the players please" is how you handle those media requests if you aren't interested in the spotlight.

the other part is he is not only the guy who sets up the course, but the executive director. He took that position as long as he was allowed to continue setting up the courses. It's just like seeing Peter Dawson do interviews during The Open, or whoever the president of the PGA is at the time of the PGA Championship.

This US Open was a total joke. I didn't watch 5 minutes of it after I saw the sheep pasture they were playing "golf" on.

Golf peaked early this year for me. The rest of the Majors are snore fests IMO. I get that many won't agree but I hate brown, cooked courses. It's all about luck and that's not good golf to me
So you won't watch 5 minutes of the Open Championship next month either? It will be an almost carbon copy of last weekend.

People won't complain and cry about St Andrews because its the home of golf and it was an actual sheep pasture.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Thats what they do for every US Open! It's the whole point of THE UNITED STATES OPEN! The toughest test of golf.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Back