Sliding/bumping/rotating hips too early= no flight?

TTime

Reaction score
So the last couple weeks I've felt good about my swing. Played on Monday and the front 9 went well, the back 9 was a struggle. Out of nowhere I could barely get the ball in the air. Went to the range a few hours later and the same thing. Hit some balls this morning and started out well, but when I got to my long irons/woods/driver again… I struggled to get the ball in the air and not a lot of distance. A gentleman told me I was sliding my hips too early on my downswing. Unfortunately I'm overdo for a lesson, but will swinging the club while trying to keep my hips stable and rotate naturally help me get the ball up better?

can you explain the flight? was it just a low bullet? did it have any curvature? how was the quality of contact (sweet spot, heel, toe)?

yes, a lateral shaft that's too aggressive can cause problems, but i'm used to seeing hooks and blocks more than just low straight shots.

I just had a lesson and I have the same issue. I wish I had advise to fix this. Pro did have me hit a few with a noodle under the outside of my lead foot.

I would take what you heard and pretend you never heard it. Then find somebody to help you.l

So the last couple weeks I've felt good about my swing. Played on Monday and the front 9 went well, the back 9 was a struggle. Out of nowhere I could barely get the ball in the air. Went to the range a few hours later and the same thing. Hit some balls this morning and started out well, but when I got to my long irons/woods/driver again… I struggled to get the ball in the air and not a lot of distance. A gentleman told me I was sliding my hips too early on my downswing. Unfortunately I'm overdo for a lesson, but will swinging the club while trying to keep my hips stable and rotate naturally help me get the ball up better?
Sounds like you are losing ypur spin angle and catching the bottom of the club. Basically topping the ball. Maintain the angle crested at address when addressing the ball. Add some spine tilt and swing up on the ball. Like you're trying to hoist it over a tree 100 ft in front of you.

can you explain the flight? was it just a low bullet? did it have any curvature? how was the quality of contact (sweet spot, heel, toe)?

yes, a lateral shaft that's too aggressive can cause problems, but i'm used to seeing hooks and blocks more than just low straight shots.

Mainly a low bullet that's not going anywhere. Example: before this happened I was loving my 3 wood. Could get a consistent draw on it and normally a high ball flight. Now it's a low bullet/snap hook that goes less than half the distance of when I was hitting it good. Quality of contact is in the middle but a little low on the club face.

Sounds like you are losing ypur spin angle and catching the bottom of the club. Basically topping the ball. Maintain the angle crested at address when addressing the ball. Add some spine tilt and swing up on the ball. Like you're trying to hoist it over a tree 100 ft in front of you.

Ok thank you. Will definitely do this next time I'm at the range

Mainly a low bullet that's not going anywhere. Example: before this happened I was loving my 3 wood. Could get a consistent draw on it and normally a high ball flight. Now it's a low bullet/snap hook that goes less than half the distance of when I was hitting it good. Quality of contact is in the middle but a little low on the club face.

freddie called it. low on the face = losing spine angle.

if you're hitting it smack in the center and still seeing that low hook that doesn't fly very far, it could be hips sliding too far ahead. if your head is staying in position, then the hip slide would drop the club way to the inside.

Sliding the hips will typically produce a slice. When the hips stop rotating and the arms continue left, you get the hooks.

Sliding the hips will typically produce a slice. When the hips stop rotating and the arms continue left, you get the hooks.

are you talking about sliding hips toward target (lateral shift), or sliding hips toward ball (early extension)?

I guess I must be exaggerating my hip rotation, and also getting my hips too far in front of my hands. I'm mainly going to focus on keeping my spine angle but also quiet my hips a bit. Hopefully going to get a lesson in the next couple weeks.

Sliding toward the target
are you talking about sliding hips toward target (lateral shift), or sliding hips toward ball (early extension)?

Why is that interesting. What different data do you have?
interesting. thanks for the response!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have this same issue from time to time. I played with a +2 handicapper once and he told me one thing and I started drilling my drives down the middle again. KEEP YOUR HEAD BEHIND THE BALL! I've been using that as my only swing thought with my driver lately and it is working like a charm. I have to keep it simple.

Back