Practice or Play?

Puttin4Bird

Say what again mf'er!
Reaction score
Handicap
3.5 GHIN
You have a couple of hours to yourself. You decide you're going to head to the course....do you prefer to hit the range and practice or would you rather go play 9?

I wish the answer was practice...I know that would benefit my game much more. But I'll be honest, I'd probably prefer to go play a quick 9. Early in the season I'm much more likely to practice....but now that it's later, I'd go play.

At this point in the season, I would probably go play.

If I had an event I was preparing for, I'd probably practice instead.

Days of late sunsets are going to come to an end quick around here.

I've been in that boat...I play 9. If I don't have time for a full nine, I'm probably not going to the course.
Practice would be better for my scores, but I like playing too much. And winter is coming.

I would much prefer to play. I know I don't put enough emphasis on practice.

I practice by playing unless I'm working on swing changes.

I'm playing. I work at a golf course but don't play much so when I get golf time, it's more likely going to be playing, not practicing.

Probably hit up the back nine 2 hours isn't enough for a good range session

I practice by playing unless I'm working on swing changes.

I only work on swing changes when I am about to play in a THP event, hahaha. Then I have an excuse!

I'd play and/or practice on the course. On course is better than the range

Probably hit up the back nine 2 hours isn't enough for a good range session
How long do you usually take to get in a good range sesh? I think 2 hours is more than enough, am I skimping on something? 2 hours would give me plenty of time to hit a bag and probably even practice putting. Maybe I need to work on my practice routine to make it more beneficial?

Practice on course, as all the ranges here are mats it makes it hard to feel the sensation of the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there is time, play 9. If there is not. Hit the range

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

It depends on the course. If it's open then I head out and play three balls. Hitting into empty space doesn't do anything but loosen me up. Playing different shot from tee to green now that's work

How long do you usually take to get in a good range sesh? I think 2 hours is more than enough, am I skimping on something? 2 hours would give me plenty of time to hit a bag and probably even practice putting. Maybe I need to work on my practice routine to make it more beneficial?

On a practice day about 2 hours good range time, hour chipping and hour putting. Only do that once a week though.

It depends on the course. If it's open then I head out and play three balls. Hitting into empty space doesn't do anything but loosen me up. Playing different shot from tee to green now that's work
Good point, I do find that just pounding balls does nothing for my swing. In fact I just tend to get bored doing it and lose focus and before long I'm hitting like crap. Good idea on the different shots into the green with 3 balls!
On a practice day about 2 hours good range time, hour chipping and hour putting. Only do that once a week though.
Solid practice routine buddy!!

I'd prefer to play. I practice by playing in most cases. As much as I'd like to believe I think of strange shots to practice... I certainly find something new I never expected during each round.

Sent From My Samsung Note 4 Using Tapatalk

If I'm out for a quick 9 I'll practice more than play. I'll hit 2-3 shots off some tees or on approaches. If I miss a green ill chip a few using different clubs or shot types.

I'm actually facing this question for tomorrow night and I'll probably go play, even if I'm playing a few balls on each shot, I find I get more out of it than if I just go to the range and pound balls.

I am playing...

I like to stop at my local course on the way to or from work for 15-20 short game sessions, if I have two hours...tee it up.

I would play. I would enjoy that more than practice.

I practice. I go to the course 2-3 times a week but generally only play one round, although tuesday night league has now started, but the rest of the time is split between the range and putting/chipping area.

I actually enjoy the grind of the range. That said I will almost always choose to play.

when the temps are 85, 90+, I'd rather stay under my covered north-facing range

Back