What's your preferred distance/club for approach shots?

Since I can't reach any par 5s in two anymore I try to get my 2nd shot anywhere from 80 to 150 yards. If I feel froggie I will go driver, driver, as I have no trouble hitting driver off the deck.

I pretty much always layup to 120-80 yards out. One day I hope to learn how to hit a fairway from the deck consistently enough to give more par 5s a rip in two.

It's an easy answer for me... as close as possible. Laying back to a distance is self defeating. Statistics say that closer is better, period. Shot dispersal is tighter the shorter the distance.

For me, anywhere from 80 to 120 works best.

It's an easy answer for me... as close as possible. Laying back to a distance is self defeating. Statistics say that closer is better, period. Shot dispersal is tighter the shorter the distance.

I would agree,
but just my opinion and "sort of" as I mentioned, there imo is a happy medium between what is "close as possible" vs close as possible within the means of a fairly makeable shot to get there.
Given consideration for all factors involved a riskier , less percentage shot that gets me to say 70 yards may not be the best overall route vs a much higher percentage shot that gets me to 130. The riskier shot to get the extra 50 may offer far less percentage of success vs the fact that the approach itself may then be 50 yrds further out. For me it just all depends on whatever the current scenario has to offer based on the result from the last shot taken. And it is possible when you said "close as possible" that you too are taking this into account. In the end imo its always the last result that determines the next best route.

Put me in the close as I can get camp ...I like to within a 100 yards if at all possible

To me I prefer to get as close to the green as I can, especially if I have a good feel for my chips. But if I can get inside the range of my 9I, about 130, I feel pretty good. I am just beginning to work on using my 55* and 60* wedges for approach shots more. I used to use my PW for everything inside 115 or 120 and just cut down on the swing (worked well when I was feeling it) but I now realize that the sand and lob wedge are clubs that can really help your game if you learn to use them correctly.

I'm in the as close as I can get camp for par 5s. I love hitting a lobber up from about 45 yds. or closer. For a par 4, my preferred distance is around 70 to 80 yds for about a 3/4 56 degree. I'll take 104 for my GW. Most of the time I'm hitting a PW or 9i. 8i on longer holes.... and the accuracy drops.

I would agree,
but just my opinion and "sort of" as I mentioned, there imo is a happy medium between what is "close as possible" vs close as possible within the means of a fairly makeable shot to get there.
Given consideration for all factors involved a riskier , less percentage shot that gets me to say 70 yards may not be the best overall route vs a much higher percentage shot that gets me to 130. The riskier shot to get the extra 50 may offer far less percentage of success vs the fact that the approach itself may then be 50 yrds further out. For me it just all depends on whatever the current scenario has to offer based on the result from the last shot taken. And it is possible when you said "close as possible" that you too are taking this into account. In the end imo its always the last result that determines the next best route.

Perhaps I should have said as close as is reasonable. I'm not turning off my course management strategies just to get a few yards closer to the green. However all else being equal, I'll get as close as I can.

If there's no trouble, I bash it as close as I can. If there is any trouble, I'll try to put myself at 90-105. That's a full LW as I'm not a fan of partial shots if I can help it.

I will go 80 yards or 115 yards, fullish lob wedge and a little off which I take 3/4 of the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer to hit to 90-100 yards that's the perfect full swing sand wedge for me,

I try to get as close as I can most all the time as long as there are no hazards to deal with. I know playing to a number is the smart thing, but if I flub a shot trying to play to a number I gotta pull a long club anyway.

What's your preferred distance/club for approach shots?

If you can hit your 3wood well, then hit it! If not, find the best lay up yardage and play to there.

This is all dependent on bunkers/hazards and such in the target ranges.

Yeah very dependent on what trouble lies ahead. On a links style that I can run up a 3w I would go for it. But the last few rounds I have played have had major elevation changes mostly to elevated greens and trouble short right which is my 3w miss, so there's no chance I'm going for it. Some have even been a challenge after laying up to a safe zone.

From a yardage standpoint I would play to 100-120 which can be a full pw or an easy 9i. Shorter than that and it's a little awkward. The 65-100 yard shots have been rough for me lately. Once I'm in my groove then anything inside 120 is perfect but right now my full shot swings are about all I can rely on for consistency.

250 and in, I go for it unless there's water, or completely surrounded by sand. If I have to lay up, I'm happy between 100 and 145

If I'm not trying to get home in 2, then I usually look to get to about 90 yards.
That's a real smooth 56* wedge for me.

If I'm out of position off the tee then I'll lay up to about 110metres which is a perfect distance for me with my PW. I can hit it way further than that but a 3/4 swing produces a nice low shot that spins like mad. It's super controllable and repeatable. If I'm in the open and in reach of the green I'm going for it and relying on my short game to get me up and down from almost anywhere.
My 3/4 swing isn't as good as yours, all my game isn't looking at your handicap and mine. But I do about the same:

When out of position or unreachable: 100-110 meters
When inside of 200 meters I can reach it if the lie is good and the risks are manageable. (Most probably worst that could happen is a par).

My short game isn't that good, so I'm not a guaranteed up-and-down ;)

Seemed like 100 yards was a decent number for me this weekend. Normally I like to get it closer.

I would prefer to hit 3w and get as close as I can, but if it's too risky I'll lay up as close as I can inside 100. I figure my chances of getting closer to the pin are better from 40yds than from 120.

110 yards or more to 130 and I'm pretty comfortable. 80 and in I'm terrible .

Last year during the SeeMore event we got to play half our round with a PGA pro following our group. Ben Pellicani asked me a similar question after I played to 100 yards. I told him I was comfortable hitting the green from there. He told me tour statistics indicate the greatest chance of a GIR comes from 30 yards and in. Therefore if you can get to 30 yards or less without going into a hazard you statistically have the best chance of hitting the green in regulation. FYI, I came up short that day from 100 yards!

That all being said I like 115 or less for my lay ups but the closer the better!

Play a few rounds with our group - ranging from a six to a few 14's - & that theory goes right out the window, esp. on a press....

I don't 3w on a second shot par 5 unless I can make it. Risk vs reward if it is questionable is not worth it. I'll lay up. 150 in I'm confident, 100 in and I'm sure I'll get it within 15 feet.

250 and in I will go for it if there is no trouble around or between me and the green. Trouble or water around and I'm laying up unless I'm within 200 yards. Anything over 250 and I'm laying up to give me a third shot from about 100 yards.

+1 with 115 yards as my sweet-spot for laying up.

Play a few rounds with our group - ranging from a six to a few 14's - & that theory goes right out the window, esp. on a press....

Not a theory, simple statistics. You can believe the numbers or not, your choice. It takes very little practice to learn to play shots from 60 or 70 yards and closer and have a tighter circle of dispersion than from 100 or 130. If your group is that bad, then they simply need to practice. I'm the worst practicer in the world, but I can still handle those shots.

Back