Draw Bias/Offset Clubs

Elty McMillan

Reaction score
Handicap
18ish
My current set of irons are Taylormade Burner Plus. I got them a few years back for my 18th birthday from my parents, and since I'm pretty budget oriented right now, haven't looked into getting anything new. However, I have been doing some research on these irons and they have a definite draw bias. So here is my question/concern. Are these irons hurting my golf game? I'm consistently working on my game and I've been noticing I hit a big swooping draw when I feel I put a really good swing on the ball. Is the draw bias going to cause me to over compensate and create a detrimental habit?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Especially if it's a link to a previous thread I totally overlooked.

the draw bias isn't definitely a bad thing. Just depends on your swing.
ALOT of game improvement irons have draw bias.

Draw biased irons are kind of the norm in this day and age unfortunately. Manufacturers kind of started making clubs to correct poor swings rather than having the golfer hone a good swing to fit normal set irons and other clubs. In reality they state it gives you extra time to square the clubface but if it's already there than yes you'll be left. Others think offset helps you hit it higher....that simply isn't true. As a rule of thumb.....the more offset, the more you play the ball back in your stance and rotate through. Hands forward ball back bro....you'll start hitting more fairways and greens.

My current set of irons are Taylormade Burner Plus. I got them a few years back for my 18th birthday from my parents, and since I'm pretty budget oriented right now, haven't looked into getting anything new. However, I have been doing some research on these irons and they have a definite draw bias. So here is my question/concern. Are these irons hurting my golf game? I'm consistently working on my game and I've been noticing I hit a big swooping draw when I feel I put a really good swing on the ball. Is the draw bias going to cause me to over compensate and create a detrimental habit?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Especially if it's a link to a previous thread I totally overlooked.
Our swing causes a big draw or fade, not the club. (generally speaking the club face controls the initial direction of the ball and swing path controls the rest; some clubs might help the ball start left but after that initial start, its about our swings)

Last edited:
I've recently moved to clubs that have a good bit of offset and I'm not seeing a draw that wasn't there previously.

What I am seeing is that I'm missing greens to the left more than ever. Doesn't happen on every shot (I'm not consistent enough for that).

I wouldn't say they are hurting your game but I would see that if you transitioned to clubs with a minimal offset you may find yourself landing a bit more right than normal simply based on the face angle at impact.

Our swing causes a big draw or fade, not the club. (generally speaking the club face controls the initial direction of the ball and swing path controls the rest; some clubs might help the ball start left but after that initial start, its about our swings)

I hit my draws and fades by opening/closing the face at address and without changing path. That's how Jack Nicklaus did it too.

I hit my draws and fades by opening/closing the face at address and without changing path. That's how Jack Nicklaus did it too.
Sure it can be done that way but you lose distance. Learning to work the ball by changing the path of your swing is generally how the pros do it.

Sure it can be done that way but you lose distance. Learning to work the ball by changing the path of your swing is generally how the pros do it.
Just to clarify, you don't change the mechanics of your swing.....you should never do that in fact if you have more than one swing then you're complicating issues.

There's draw bias, and there's offset. To me, they're two different things. I think of bias as weighting - helping people close the face. Offset is designed to help you get the ball in the air by moving the CG back. If I go back and play my old set of PINGs, using the white line on the bottom for alignment is important. Otherwise, I end up lining up pointing left a bit. Conversely, I had the opposite issue when I started playing the 545s - I'd be lined up open to start.

the draw bias isn't definitely a bad thing. Just depends on your swing.
ALOT of game improvement irons have draw bias.

Correct. Done to cut down on the slice. For better players that already draw the ball, this is not the direction you want to go. I naturally fade the ball, so I want little offset because I want to take the left side out of play. When I need a draw, I just hit one.

These are great clubs for those that will not take lessons or work to get better. Bandaid clubs for the most part.

Draw bias, or slightly closed face, is what I used to see every times I would pick up a Callaway club. Since I fight a hook, I would never even consider trying or buying them. Luckily that has changed in recent years. And I agree with previous posts that more offset is not the same as closed face (draw bias).

When I started a few years ago I considered getting the draw bias clubs. However I was pretty motivated to learn a proper swing. My current pro recommended leaving a neutral face on my driver so I could learn from my ball flight. Now, I hit nice draws with all my clubs. It was painful at first but it sure paid off.

My advice to you is if you're willing to put the time in for proper lessons and practice, stay away from draw biased clubs and learn to develop a sound swing. If you don't feel like improving your swing or don't have the time, the draw bias clubs will make the game a little easier for you in the short term.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not hurting you. Should you someday get clubs with less draw bias, it will not take you long to adjust (and may take you no time to adjust).

~Rock

What kind of draw/hook are we talking here? Where's the ball start and where does it end up?

Yes, there's a chance you might be exacerbating a swing flaw or even just a swing trait. However, the issue is likely related more to the swing or setup than the golf club.

What kind of draw/hook are we talking here? Where's the ball start and where does it end up?

Yes, there's a chance you might be exacerbating a swing flaw or even just a swing trait. However, the issue is likely related more to the swing or setup than the golf club.

If starts on the target line were talking a 15-20 yard draw with a 7i. The reason I'm asking is because I found this online. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423498595.768553.jpg

Offset helps with launch more then it affects the direction of your ball flight. I could hit a fade with with anything given the swing is under control.

There's draw bias, and there's offset. To me, they're two different things. I think of bias as weighting - helping people close the face. Offset is designed to help you get the ball in the air by moving the CG back. If I go back and play my old set of PINGs, using the white line on the bottom for alignment is important. Otherwise, I end up lining up pointing left a bit. Conversely, I had the opposite issue when I started playing the 545s - I'd be lined up open to start.

Really valuable observations here.

I'm not going to say that the clubs don't have an effect on ball flight, but the predominant factor in a 20 yard hook is going to be the swing you're putting on the club.

Lie angle is one way they can make a claim like that. Offset is the other. You could always have the lie angles looked at, though 15-20 yards of hook on a 7 iron probably isn't coming from a lie angle issue. Offset I don't even feel like getting in to, because it's full of potential for internet physicists.

Lots of reason for the hooks (believe me I know), but if you're hooking irons I'd look at the swing first.

I won't get into the whole swing versus equipment debate but I did want to address the Burner Plus irons. I was a fitter when these were in their heyday and they did pose some fitting challenges. They were relatively forgiving but the way TM designed them (with a shorter C Dimension) moved the balance more towards the hosel than you would expect in that type of game improvement design. I did see people who tended to hit these more left than other comparable irons. TM has since gone away from this design concept.

I won't get into the whole swing versus equipment debate but I did want to address the Burner Plus irons. I was a fitter when these were in their heyday and they did pose some fitting challenges. They were relatively forgiving but the way TM designed them (with a shorter C Dimension) moved the balance more towards the hosel than you would expect in that type of game improvement design. I did see people who tended to hit these more left than other comparable irons. TM has since gone away from this design concept.

That's really good to know, thank you!

That's an interesting post and I'm definitely going to defer to you based on that knowledge. I do wonder however - how much difference do you think we are talking? I just can't envision that much hook action (with a 7 iron) being attributed to a club head like that.

That's an interesting post and I'm definitely going to defer to you based on that knowledge. I do wonder however - how much difference do you think we are talking? I just can't envision that much hook action (with a 7 iron) being attributed to a club head like that.

That's a good question. We are talking what 7-8 years ago since they were released and my exact memory is not great. But there were a series of irons from TM of which the Burner Plus were a part that showed notable leftward tendencies. I do recall hitting one in that series (might have been the R7 Draw?) that really accented my draw to the point that it was unplayable to me unless I held the face open at impact. If you had an in to out swing, it seemed that whole series of irons was problematic. I do remember also that for some who basically came in with a closed face, these irons just exacerbated that (which led to both direction and launch problems).

Right on. I would have called those R7 Draws the best iron in the universe in 2010. Ha.

This is what I have to do, I feel I have to open the face way up in order not to hit a draw, but then, because I'm not great at this game, I start hitting a slice because it's too open.

Obviously properly fitted equipment can help.

However, from personal experience, you might be talking 5-10% "better".

What I mean is, you're swing will likely determine 90-95% of what happens to the golf ball. The club, and how it fits you, might make a 5-10% difference. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

Now, I'm obviously talking in generalities, but most amateurs (me included) should concentrate of their swings, not necessarily on equipment. Equipment is fun, and equipment can help... but we all need to set our expectations accordingly.

If you consistently miss a little left, then maybe a draw bias club is a bad fit. If you are missing 10-20 yards to the left, well, that's really a swing issue, not an equipment issue. New equipment may provide some relief, but eventually, your swing issues will likely reappear.

I'm going through the same thing with shafts. I launch the ball too high, so I've got x-stiff dynamic golds. Did it make a difference? Eh. Maybe a little... but it's really a swing issue I have, not equipment.

Back