How to get my 13 year old nephew started in golf?

BuckeyeMark

Reaction score
Handicap
Have nephew and he's a great kid (and now teen-ager). He's athletic (plays basketball) and loves sports. He's such a happy guy - he needs the misery of golf in his world (okay, just kidding about that).

I would like for him to take up the game. But how do I get that done? Obviously everyone will say "he needs to take lessons." Yes, he should and hopefully will. But before he signs up for that he needs to get the bug. He's never going to tell his mom "I want to take golf lessons" without being motivated because he likes the game.

So ... a trip to the range with his crazy uncle to hit some balls would help. But should he hit adult clubs? Kid clubs? What makes it fun for a kid just starting? Ideas? How do you get someone started?

First identify "why." Is it because you want him to, or because he has shown interest?

Be honest with him about why you want him to play golf, and, you'll need a really... really good reinforcer if he decides to pick it up. Find out his hight in inches, and get a set based on that. Unless, he's already a grown a$$ man like some of these other teenagers out here. Take it easy, and make it FUN.

First identify "why." Is it because you want him to, or because he has shown interest?

Be honest with him about why you want him to play golf, and, you'll need a really... really good reinforcer if he decides to pick it up. Find out his hight in inches, and get a set based on that. Unless, he's already a grown a$$ man like some of these other teenagers out here. Take it easy, and make it FUN.

I want him to play because it'd be a great way for US to spend time together. In other words I'm making a playing partner here!

I started my boy at that exact age or maybe 14 with my old set of Wilson Staffs. I took him to the range and just showed him the grip, stance and only taught him the takeaway and follow through and wouldn't let him swing more than 1/4 to 1/2 swings. I told him if he really liked it we could set up lessons. He ended up taking to it like a bee to a flower. He loved it and was very natural at it. I didn't pressure him at all. Good luck!

Do you have a Top Golf nearby? I think that would be a great way to introduce the game. You are dealing with a teenager and he will not do anything that he doesn't want to do for himself. Find a way to show him the fun and try to appeal to his interests as much as you can.

I want him to play because it'd be a great way for US to spend time together. In other words I'm making a playing partner here!
You need to ask kids parents first. Then bring it up to him. At least see if he has interest being your playing partner.

Do you have a Top Golf nearby? I think that would be a great way to introduce the game. You are dealing with a teenager and he will not do anything that he doesn't want to do for himself. Find a way to show him the fun and try to appeal to his interests as much as you can.

Winner! We do and that's a great idea. You're right: if he doesn't want to do it then he just flat won't.

I guess where I'm confused is why isn't his dad pushing him to play? Why are you not trying to get him, the dad to play?

Last edited:
Ask him if he wants to go golfing, and if he says yes, then do all you can to encourage him and make it as easy as possible/fun for the first few months. Then think about lessons and equipment. If he is not interested, then so be it.

No point in trying to force it.. He will or he won't..

Any clubs will work to get the bug running through him, but depending on his size compared to most 13 yr olds he could comfortably swing womens, senior or regular mens clubs.

If he's athletic and competitive, it will only take a couple of well struck shots at that initial range session to get the bug.

Sounds like you're a good uncle. My fave uncle is the one who got me into playing, and he took a lot of time to do so. He took me to a pitch and putt course a few times when I was in the 10-12 year old range, took me to driving ranges sporadically the next 3 years, and when I was 16 and able to drive he called me every time he was going to play to ask me to come along. We lived 120 miles away from each other, but any time I could come he would always play somewhere much closer to me than him.

Minimal instruction, the occasional, "slow down" or " put the ball here in your stance" was all that he offered until I asked for something more specific. Coming from a small town with no course inside 30 miles and no junior/school programs meant that he was 100% responsible for me starting the game. And I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Keep up the good work man.

I would recommend Junior sized clubs, unless he's abnormally tall for his age (and those people exist).

There is nothing wrong with taking him to the range, let him hit some balls with adult clubs (assuming they aren't too huge for him).

In the alternative, I believe there was a Topgolf that just opened somewhere south of you in Texas. I honestly see it as a great way to introduce young people to the game. I think its a great way to get a kid to swing a club without any of the 'misery' that can sometimes accompany golf on a course. Its just a fun environment, and the only way a kid is going to stick with golf is to have fun with it.

~Rock

I'd offer to take him and a couple of his buddies to go hit balls. At that age it's gonna be all about his friends. Then strategically leave a set of old clubs and balls in his garage. I don't think the length of the clubs is extremely important. If they are a bit shorter that would be nice. But he will figure out how to hit them if he gets bitten by the bug. And if he does, then you can think about getting him a better fitting set.

If he's looking for a summer job, maybe help find him a caddying job, or a job at a golf course. Or you could take him with you during one of your rounds, and let him drive the cart (after some instruction from you of course).

Otherwise all the above suggestions are top-notch.

Have nephew and he's a great kid (and now teen-ager). He's athletic (plays basketball) and loves sports. He's such a happy guy - he needs the misery of golf in his world (okay, just kidding about that).

I would like for him to take up the game. But how do I get that done? Obviously everyone will say "he needs to take lessons." Yes, he should and hopefully will. But before he signs up for that he needs to get the bug. He's never going to tell his mom "I want to take golf lessons" without being motivated because he likes the game.

So ... a trip to the range with his crazy uncle to hit some balls would help. But should he hit adult clubs? Kid clubs? What makes it fun for a kid just starting? Ideas? How do you get someone started?

If he's just going to the range let him use the range clubs if they have them. My tip would be take it easy. You have the right idea, a range visit is pretty low key. Don't throw him off the deep end.

I remember when my grandfather was trying to get me into the game when I was younger (much younger than 13 but I think it still applies). We just went to the course and he would let me putt on the practice green while he shot the bs with his buddies. Then we would go ride the cart around and watch his friends play till I got tired of it and we'd go home.

I think its more a test of your own patience and to try not get what you want out of your outing with him. At least it would be mine with a 13 year old. My point is just get him out there doing golf stuff, but don’t test his patience too early. Meaning if he gets bored on the range, go putt. If he’s tired of putting go try to hit the picker on the range. If he wants to play 9 holes then take him but let him make the decision.

Last edited:

How to get my 13 year old nephew started in golf?

Very easy,
Just show him a few pictures of what its really like :)

sonders_zpsiadqy13w.jpg
sndrs_zpsgpd77fur.jpg
33sndrs_zpsdup0h0gu.jpg
sondrs_zpsiarhuumm.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like Rollin remembers being a 13 year old boy much better than the rest of us remember what it was like....hahahaha...nice post man.

Looks like Rollin remembers being a 13 year old boy much better than the rest of us remember what it was like....hahahaha...nice post man.

well,
at the time I probably didn't know what to do with it :(
but I probably also knew there was something strangely magnetic about it :)

Back