I watched the 1st 2 sets then called it a night. Looks like Murray fell flat in the last 2 sets. Oh well, I'm hoping Federer can get past Monfils (should be a good match tonight) and can keep his play up for Djokovic.

It looked like his back went in the 3rd. It was game over then. Shame as he was hitting some blinding forehands.

"Yeah" to this thread. This is easily my favorite sport to play. I played all the time as a teen into my early 20's, and participating in tournaments was a total rush. Just wish I knew more people who played so I could do it more often. Guess that's what happens as you get older. If I had more time I'd join a club.

As someone else noted, there are a lot of similarities between tennis and golf to me. Hitting a solid shot in both sports provides the same satisfaction. I was a huge Agassi & Edberg fan growing up and literally learned by watching these guys. I didn't take lessons until I was 16 (HS finally got a tennis team after several petitions). Most beneficial thing I learned was to hit the ball on the rise from the baseline. It immediately puts your opponent on the defensive b/c of how fast the ball comes back. Plus you hardly need to put a swing on it. It's darn close to a half-volley stroke. I finally bought a new racquet (Yonex RDS 002) a few years ago after playing with a Prince Graphite OG 90. Sweet stick but definitely not up to par with the newer technology. The power and stability of modern racquets is unreal compared to the one I stuck with for 15 some years!

Cheers!

More Tennis than Golf lately

Sort of strange but I've had tennis on my mind for the last few months. I really have the urge to do some hitting and get back on the court. Bought some new tennis shoes the other day and was told to go with color. That everyone wears tennis shoes with color now, young and old. Buddy at work just bought some new racquets so he's gonna give me a good deal on his 1 year old racquets.

The itch is getting closer and closer to getting scratched.

Sort of strange but I've had tennis on my mind for the last few months. I really have the urge to do some hitting and get back on the court. Bought some new tennis shoes the other day and was told to go with color. That everyone wears tennis shoes with color now, young and old. Buddy at work just bought some new racquets so he's gonna give me a good deal on his 1 year old racquets.

The itch is getting closer and closer to getting scratched.
Good luck with it. It's a great sport and I'm glad I grew up playing it.

Good luck with it. It's a great sport and I'm glad I grew up playing it.

I playing in college and taught it for about 4 years after and just really got burned out. I jumped back in a few years ago but didn't stay with it. I'm really wanting the exercise aspect of the sport right now but I love playing it too. We shall see.

Good on you. I am still burned out from playing my whole childhood but it's such a great sport.

This makes me want to play again, soon. I don't know anyone who plays here (constant misty rain 6 months out of the year = not good for tennis), but I want to do some hitting when I head back to visit the folks in NJ next month.

Nice 2 hour clinic today, played some doubles & triples...lots of good players

Nice Aussie final going on right now.
Nice, I just turned it on. I forget about tennis, used to really enjoy watching it on the weekends growing up.

Unreal tennis these guys are playing. Going to 3rd set 1 set apiece.

Old man Federer beats Djokovic 2-0 for the Dubai title. Pretty cool. Hope he can win a major this year.

Hit yesterday with my fiance, and I think we're hitting again after work today with the weather being nice. I used to be a decent player, played 3rd singles in high school under a couple really good players and played club in college and some tournaments around my hometown for a few years there. Then I completely fell off it (at least competitively) once I started working and moved to Utah, because I didn't know any players.

Getting back into it somewhat now, though if I'm going to play semi-frequently I need to get a new pair of shoes. I was always a strong groundstroke player so that has come back quickly, but my serve - particularly the 2nd serve - has almost completely taken a bath haha. I've been looking up technique tips on kick serves since Sunday, excited to try and groove it again.

Good to hear SkiBum. It's a sport that you can play at some level for the rest of your life so keep up the maintaining!

I still hit with a few guys from work who are 4.5 players so it's really kept my ground strokes pretty sharp. We'll play some tie breakers but stay away from playing sets. When I go out I like to hit as many balls as possible in that 1.5-2 hour time. Now that my kiddos soccer has ended I'll have some more time to play a little bit more.

Good to hear SkiBum. It's a sport that you can play at some level for the rest of your life so keep up the maintaining!

I still hit with a few guys from work who are 4.5 players so it's really kept my ground strokes pretty sharp. We'll play some tie breakers but stay away from playing sets. When I go out I like to hit as many balls as possible in that 1.5-2 hour time. Now that my kiddos soccer has ended I'll have some more time to play a little bit more.

Good deal man!

What is a 4.5 player?

Nice, Nate. My 7th grader has gotten hooked on tennis this year. It was her first year of competitive tennis at Reynolds Middle School, and she was able to play in every match this spring (mostly #3 doubles). I was proud because it was really her first full year of playing at all, so big gains for her.

I've enjoyed getting back out on the court with her as well. I enjoy going out and hitting, but just can't run like I used to, prior to my knee surgery several years ago.

Good deal man!

What is a 4.5 player?

There are USTA rankings for players. Goes something like 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0 and open flights. Might even go up to 5.5 or 6.0 but can't remember. Basically, ex college players are in the 4.5 to 5.0 ranks and then really good college players are in the open flights. So long story short, it's a USTA thing.

I am a borderline 4.0 to 4.5 player in my hay day, but can only play for about an hour before my elbow catches on fire and basically renders my arm useless.

I am a borderline 4.0 to 4.5 player in my hay day, but can only play for about an hour before my elbow catches on fire and basically renders my arm useless.

That's no good. Tennis elbow. Ha! I was always between those 2 as well.

Gotcha guys, that makes sense. I found the chart online, see below if anyone else is curious! According to these guidelines, I probably would have been a 4.0-4.5 player as you guys said back when I played a lot. Now, I'd say I'm more like 3.5, mostly because my serve is garbage and I'm inconsistent.

http://assets.usta.com/assets/1/15/ExperiencedGuidelines_02142011_V2pdf.pdf

All this talk really makes me want to practice!

Back