Bridgestone J815 Driver - THP Review

Nice thoughts Jman! I dream about this driver and getting properly fit for it on a daily basis.

Good stuff James. Can't wait to try this when the Bridgestone guys come through next month.

Good stuff James. Can't wait to try this when the Bridgestone guys come through next month.

i think you might fall in love with this one.

I think many will enjoy this one, if they can find it, and if they actually hit it and not just gawk at it.

really looking forward to trying this driver and the cast irons out once they're on test drive. I've got a feeling if they're available at the Legacy, they'll be in my bag.

I thought about this a lot, and personally I just don't know if I could put the red/graphics into my bag full time. Not at all a performance thing, but with so many quality performing heads out right now I don't know if I could personally get over the graphics. Now, if the black version was brought to the US, then its a different story.

Random thoughts for me, I just like to ramble sometimes. But its a thought I'm on more and more because of what I am seeing performance wise. This is finally the Bridgestone driver for the REST of us, its a great move for them from a design and line standpoint.

I think many will enjoy this one, if they can find it, and if they actually hit it and not just gawk at it.

I haven't hit it yet, but saw it in Florida last week. I can get over most crown graphics, but it's just so over-the-top.

I haven't hit it yet, but saw it in Florida last week. I can get over most crown graphics, but it's just so over-the-top.

Its out there for sure, I know it irks some here the convo keeps coming back to that, but its only natural IMO. Funny thing is, the performance is the polar opposite of the looks, its mind bending in a way.

Its out there for sure, I know it irks some here the convo keeps coming back to that, but its only natural IMO. Funny thing is, the performance is the polar opposite of the looks, its mind bending in a way.

The head shape is actually very appealing to me. This is one I hope to hit, but the results would have to be phenomenal for me to put it in the bag.

Would this work with one of those aftermarket driver skins, or does the compression section in the crown kind of make that not an option?

valid convo. there are many who get hung up on graphics, colors, etc. We saw the same thing with the Vapor line when they were introduced...some liked them and some didn't. As you mention there are so many valid options on the market that for those who dont want the graphics in the bag they will be able to find something else for themselves.

as long as someone is happy with what works for them it doesn't bother me if someone doesn't want this driver in their bag regardless of performance. I just hope people give it a chance first before making a decision not to carry it.

If the crown really bothers you, you can easily wrap it in all black vinyl. Won't really add any noticeable weight.

I do want to try this some time, in a couple weeks I think we should meet up at Peoria Ridge for a round and let your favorite oompa loompa check this thing out :)

I thought about this a lot, and personally I just don't know if I could put the red/graphics into my bag full time. Not at all a performance thing, but with so many quality performing heads out right now I don't know if I could personally get over the graphics. Now, if the black version was brought to the US, then its a different story.

Random thoughts for me, I just like to ramble sometimes. But its a thought I'm on more and more because of what I am seeing performance wise. This is finally the Bridgestone driver for the REST of us, its a great move for them from a design and line standpoint.

Would this work with one of those aftermarket driver skins, or does the compression section in the crown kind of make that not an option?

If the crown really bothers you, you can easily wrap it in all black vinyl. Won't really add any noticeable weight.

With the compression ridges, I just don't see that working.

The head shape is actually very appealing to me. This is one I hope to hit, but the results would have to be phenomenal for me to put it in the bag.

Its a GREAT shape and profile, behind the ball the shape and size is just really well done.
valid convo. there are many who get hung up on graphics, colors, etc. We saw the same thing with the Vapor line when they were introduced...some liked them and some didn't. As you mention there are so many valid options on the market that for those who dont want the graphics in the bag they will be able to find something else for themselves.

as long as someone is happy with what works for them it doesn't bother me if someone doesn't want this driver in their bag regardless of performance. I just hope people give it a chance first before making a decision not to carry it.
Sole's are easier to get over than crowns for pretty much everyone though.

I do want to try this some time, in a couple weeks I think we should meet up at Peoria Ridge for a round and let your favorite oompa loompa check this thing out :)

Sounds good to me. We need to hit up Taylor too, he can watch us hit it.

I agree, if you don't like it then don't buy it - let everyone with an open mind enjoy the performance!!!

I would cut out the triangle compression ridge area if I vinyl wrapped it, might just do it for fun since I have some black vinyl kicking around.

Oh yes, its nice out and that means some more work with this one. Its going to be the only driver in the bag for me today to finalize some things I'm seeing. Then, Sunday, a group of about 13 other THP'ers get to take some swings and add to the feedback. Love it!

And same as I said for the XR's applies here, if anyone has anything in particular they want me to keep an eye on, please feel free to post it up!

Going to go ahead and copy Eddie's post from the old J815 thread into here, easy to get confusing with multiple open threads:

Jman came down to DFW for some golf at Cowboys golf course today and brought the J815. My first chance to hit the J815 and I have to say I was impressed. From the first swing, I was all smiles. I believe James is playing this at 12°, so I was expecting a high ball flight, but I was still surprised by the launch. I had the Swing Caddie set up and saw a little over 240yd with nice high ball flight. Not sure what to say about the forgiveness, as I only took a handful of swings and all were right in line at the target.
Thanks for letting me hit this Jman. I enjoyed this driver and could definitely see putting it in play. The red is a little hard to handle, but in black, this is a nice club.

It was 9.5 brother, stock setup with no adjustments. Hell of a flight for 9.5.

Lots of guys hit this one yesterday on the range, two recurring themes...

One: The design itself is great, its an awesome shape, though it does set up closed. Easy launch, forgiving, great sound.

Two: The looks would be hard to get over graphics wise, Philip (3BD) also touched on something I was going to in my next update and review, the graphics can make an already closed face (.5* I believe) look more closed, we looked at and talked about it a lot yesterday.

Bottom line is what we've heard again and again though (and what I've seen) its a performer, a B'stone driver for the "rest" of us compared to the J40 and now J715. Its a fun head, but its going to be polarizing.

They have done to the driver face what I've been dreaming about for a long time! I have always wondered why companies didn't run grooves across the sweet spot. It just makes logical sense to me that this should help with spin.

Man, I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a demo day near me.

Don't know if I missed it, but does the club provide good feedback letting you know where you hit the ball? Also can you feel the head through the swing or does the shaft mask that?

Don't know if I missed it, but does the club provide good feedback letting you know where you hit the ball? Also can you feel the head through the swing or does the shaft mask that?

Acoustically, there is a difference, but its not as significant as, say, the 815 Alpha, the tone changes a bit though. In tactile feedback, its there, you know when you catch the toe or the heel, but the head is stable enough that its not what I would call harsh.

super thanks...really looking forward to trying this one out when they hit the stores.

I think the feel and the sound of it when Jman let me hit a few on the driving range. I will give another go next time I get my hands on one. This may be the one that replaces my Ping G20.

Going to go ahead and copy Eddie's post from the old J815 thread into here, easy to get confusing with multiple open threads:

It was 9.5 brother, stock setup with no adjustments. Hell of a flight for 9.5.

Lots of guys hit this one yesterday on the range, two recurring themes...

One: The design itself is great, its an awesome shape, though it does set up closed. Easy launch, forgiving, great sound.

Two: The looks would be hard to get over graphics wise, Philip (3BD) also touched on something I was going to in my next update and review, the graphics can make an already closed face (.5* I believe) look more closed, we looked at and talked about it a lot yesterday.

Bottom line is what we've heard again and again though (and what I've seen) its a performer, a B'stone driver for the "rest" of us compared to the J40 and now J715. Its a fun head, but its going to be polarizing.
Thanks for copying that over to the correct thread. Sorry about that.
Are you telling me that you had that set up at 9.5°? Then I am even more impressed. I can't even imagine what that club would be like on a day with better conditions.
The launch was slightly higher than I had with the other two drivers, and they were set at 11°, I believe. I'm just shaking my head here. I thought I was hitting the Bstone at 12°. Wow.

Back