What is your Home Course Missing?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
It could be a good club house and food, better practice facility, properly running carts or anything else. What do you think your course is missing to make it move up a notch or two?

Definitely better ptactice facilities. The practice green is literally only about 10 yards long and 4 yards wide and no sand trap to practice out of. If I want to practice putting, I go to 9 or 18 green.

While I do not have a home course what I have noticed here is that almost 0 of the local courses/ranges have a good sand trap to practice out of. Very few and far between in these parts.

I'd have to say food and imagination. The food is truck stop diner at best. I think I had one meal there and haven't looked backed.

They need to switch up the tees to give the course a new look. The tees haven't moved in all the years I've played the course.

And I'd also like to see the dining area spruced up a little. Add more flat screens and decor.

• Admin
While I do not have a home course what I have noticed here is that almost 0 of the local courses/ranges have a good sand trap to practice out of. Very few and far between in these parts.

Do you think that is more a public course thing in the area? Where people are not spending time practicing, but just going to play? Meaning more supply and demand

Firestone does lol

For me it's definitely a driving range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice comfort station somewhere on the course. That's really it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you think that is more a public course thing in the area? Where people are not spending time practicing, but just going to play? Meaning more supply and demand

Migh tbe, but ive also seen a few (albeit not alot) of semi private and private courses that dont either)

Firestone does lol

Absolutely, you should get a membership so we can go work on it.

Nice comfort station somewhere on the course. That's really it.

I agree with this ^^^^ - Definitely not enough "Comfort Stations" to avoid the "Dirty Handshake"

2 things my course needs. A beverage cart & earlier tee times during the summer.

I agree with this ^^^^ - Definitely not enough "Comfort Stations" to avoid the "Dirty Handshake"

The GM would love to add one or two because there are zero on the course right no but the costs are prohibitive. Plumbing and electrical rough ins when the course was built would have been a good idea back in 1997.

A few items...
1- Decent driving range balls
2- A stocked Pro Shop
3- Consistent food service

and the biggest thing, proper sand in the bunkers. My course considers washed masons sand to be proper for hazards. That or sand hardened to the consistency of concrete. Nothing in between.

Was a clubhouse, locker rooms, full bar and restaurant. They are in the midst of taking care of that and will be completed by June. Now they need a better driving range that is not irons only.

My course needs to spend money leveling their tee boxes...getting pretty bad.

We are missing a club house, and have no bunkers.

However, that is not what we need to move up a notch. We need to overseed the fairways, and probably just flat out replace the greens (they are 100 years old this year, and so is the grass that's on them). As an added bonus, I'd love to see bent grass tee boxes instead of rye grass that is mowed slightly shorter than the rough.

Many of those improvements require money the course doesn't have, so at least we all still have fun on it.

~Rock

My course needs to spend money leveling their tee boxes...getting pretty bad.

This is an issue at so many courses I play at. Years of mowing and erosion never gets noticed until one day everyone realizes all the tee boxes have a major crown in them. At that point it's $$$$$ to fix.

My course is missing access to water sufficient to keep the course green. Therefore between May-October it is dead except for greens and tee boxes. Hence the county considering closing it within the year. It's a long convoluted story involving a prison, a native creek, the drought, complete lack of groundwater and the politics of using potable water on a golf course. We've got issues.

A legitimate clubhouse. They currently have a modified mobile home, although it does have a deck that overlooks the 16th fairway you can hang out on after a round. It would just be more inviting with some upgrades.

The main thing my course is missing is elevation changes. Its on about the flattest piece of property in the state of Michigan. One feature that could be improved are the cart paths. Frankly I'd like to see a lot of them just removed all together, but a few are starting to crack over time and need to be repaired.

I joined a men's club about a month ago to get a little more tournament exposure. Something I noticed right away the course is lacking... food. They have a bar/grill with a fantastic beer selection. But so far, every food item I've ordered other than breakfast has been lacking quite a bit.

Last edited:
A real water hazard and fairway sand traps. The course is very up and down and the existing sand traps were always washing out due the heavy rain we some times get, so they filled them in to eliminate the cost of maintaining them. The only water hazard is hitting across a 10 ft wide creek twice.

Better range balls and a better practice bunker. Our practice bunker is terrible, there's sand in it but there is barely a landing area in front of the bunker. A large landing area would be my complaint.

Back