Missouri golf resort wants to mitigate slow play with pay-by-the-hour greens fees

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
http://www.golfdigest.com/story/a-p...s-and-slightly-diabolical?mbid=social_twitter
The Lodge of Four Seasons, located in Lake Ozark, will feature dynamic pricing at its courses this season. Rather than a traditional flat greens fee rate, golfers instead will pay for the time spent on the course.
Resort guests and the general public will be charged $10 per hour. The hope is that golfers will be more inclined to speed up play to avoid a higher rate. Additionally, it will spare those who can only fit a few holes of play into their schedule from a full greens fee.

So my question is this, will it work?

Not at all, but it will lead to an increase in on course fights. How pissed will someone be when the slow play in front is costing them money.

Will it work? In a word - Nope. Maybe they're be able to afford security with the extra revenue they'll be receiving...

Not at all, but it will lead to an increase in on course fights. How pissed will someone be when the slow play in front is costing them money.

You beat me to it.

Pun intended.

Nope and think how disheartening it would be if you're having one of those bad rounds where you're in the trees or sand and you know every miss hit is just more and more money

At least they are trying something. But dang, I can only imagine the trouble that will follow when one person thinks another person's slow play is going to cost them $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, I don't see that idea going well but do applaud the course for trying to do something. There is a course around me that states their standard round is 3.5hrs but it's pricey which might be why.

It might work 4 days out of 7, but those other days are going to be trouble methinks. Now not only does slow play hurt you physically and emotionally, but financially too lol.

Give me the first tee time of the day and I'm sure I could play 18 for less than $20!

Imagine that a four season resort getting greedy.

I say golf bags need licence plates, report slow play. Too many warnings and you get a suspension

Not a chance it works on weekends/holidays

That better include cart fee as well.

40-45 for a resort course with cart fee included ok. But don't penalize me cause I'm stuck behind 4 groups and I'm twirling my waiting

A time based pricing structure is a dream of mine, but I don't see how this one can work. In order for it to be palatable you have to find a way to not punish the people that are stuck behind slow players. I haven't come up with any ideas that I can even convince myself would work, let alone anyone else.

Maybe if there were a way to calculate time spent waiting and deduct that from the overall time spent on the course. Perhaps sensors near tee boxes that log how much time is spent by each cart waiting for a group to clear out of the way. A 4:30 round with 45 minutes spent waiting would get charged for a 3:45 round. That would give incentive to stay tight behind the group in front of you.

I just linked this thread to a particular friend of mine via email. :act-up:

He would need a "Brinks" truck following him around on this course.

A time based pricing structure is a dream of mine, but I don't see how this one can work. In order for it to be palatable you have to find a way to not punish the people that are stuck behind slow players. I haven't come up with any ideas that I can even convince myself would work, let alone anyone else.

Maybe if there were a way to calculate time spent waiting and deduct that from the overall time spent on the course. Perhaps sensors near tee boxes that log how much time is spent by each cart waiting for a group to clear out of the way. A 4:30 round with 45 minutes spent waiting would get charged for a 3:45 round. That would give incentive to stay tight behind the group in front of you.

With all the tech out there and gps systems available. I imagine someone could create a program that calculates your golfing time and your waiting time. As an example, if there is a cart on the same hole as you within 250 yds, it assumes you're waiting or something to that effect. Clock starts when they get out of that window or move to the next hole.

Having said all this, I do agree there will be some heated arguments on the courses during slow times

I applaud the effort but this wont work.

I blame Sposey

Nice thought but it will cause more problems than the benefits it will generate.

Imagine that a four season resort getting greedy.

Why I do not think this is a good idea, it is NOT greedy. Even if your round takes to 5 hours, thats $50 for a nice course, how is that greedy????

Not a chance it works on weekends/holidays

That better include cart fee as well.

40-45 for a resort course with cart fee included ok. But don't penalize me cause I'm stuck behind 4 groups and I'm twirling my waiting

Can you please point me in the direction of nice resort courses I can play for $45 including cart?

Need more info. How are they spacing tee times?

Gross. Nothing worse than feeling rushed on the course - and I'd hate to be in front of a group that's concerned about saving a few bucks.

As others have said, good idea in theory but unless the course is clear in front of you it's not necessarily fair.

Clear up until I get held up by some group.

Also, there are plenty of 'tourist' golfers in the Ozarks, and I don't see anything fixing pace of play there.

~Rock

I don't know if it'll work or not, but really as Sposey says, so what a 5 hour round costs you $50. Still a decent deal.

I've actually played the course and it's a great track. Unrelated to the pricing news, but the course is legit. We got pricing as part of a stay and play package so I can't recall what the green fees were for a stock rack rate.

Not sure how that will work when 1 or 2 slow groups would cost everyone more to play. Not a lot of happy golfers that way. People want to know the cost up front too.

Back