Where are shoes in the priority list of buying?

PizzaBear

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
So I've got a limited budget for golf and I'm trying to use my money in the most effective way possible to help me improve.

So obviously lessons and practice sessions are the top priority for money

But where do shoes fit in? Should I improve my clubs and everything first? Am I better off investing that money in a surplus of balls, tees ect and just get shoes when I have the spare money? Or should decent golf shoes be up high in my list?

Currently playing in some Asics Kayano 22 running shoes

Thanks,
PB

Some others will be able to help you more but i prefer have some good golf shoes, the extra grip with the spikes really helps to stop slipping during your swing. Even the spikeless offer good grip and can be worn to and from the course if you wish.

While I now have 14 pairs of golf shoes, I didn't start out with them. I actually played in turf shoes that I used for indoor soccer. They were comfortable, inexpensive and did the job. I didn't buy my first pair of golf shoes until I decided that golf was going to be more than just a hobby. So maybe 6-7 months in after I had gotten some clubs.

To me, golf shoes are quite important and a good new pair can be found for about $35 shipped with a little effort. I have been playing for close to 40 years and can't remember not wearing them when playing so couldn't even remark on the difference between wearing them and wearing non-golf shoes to play in.

Much more important than I used to think. Solid footing is essential to good ball striking.

IMHO, golf shoes is an essential piece of equipment right along with clubs. Take the time to get properly fitted shoes and ones that are comfortable to your feet. Taking care of your feet can benefit your well-being as well.

THP Represent!

If my feet aren't comfortable then I'm going to be uncomfortable for the round so shoes are pretty important to me and having a good experience on the course.

I would use that money for rounds. Shoes help, but any pair of golf shoes will work. I would hit up Amazon or eBay and pay as little as possible.

Forget new clubs for the time being

They rank right up there with having the right clubs for me, if I can't be stable on my feet I can't swing.

I have a shoe obsession so I always have to put a little find together for my shoe buying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I've got a limited budget for golf and I'm trying to use my money in the most effective way possible to help me improve.

So obviously lessons and practice sessions are the top priority for money

But where do shoes fit in? Should I improve my clubs and everything first? Am I better off investing that money in a surplus of balls, tees ect and just get shoes when I have the spare money? Or should decent golf shoes be up high in my list?

Currently playing in some Asics Kayano 22 running shoes

Thanks,
PB
I bought a set of Nike TW 14 that are too big for me. Wore them like 5 times. Cleaned after each round. Shoes make a difference for sure. Not sure if ur interested?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm amazed how some guys can be stable enough to play in "spikeless" in any damp conditions. Not me, though that probably says more about my balance and tempo than it does about spikeless vs soft spike shoes. I want to feel them grip the ground. I own a couple of pairs of spikeless ones, Footjoy Contours and Sketchers, but won't put them on if the course if it might even be wet from dew at an earlier tee time.

So, if you don't slip around in your sneakers now, comfortable spikeless ones should be fine unless it is really wet, otherwise get soft spike ones. I've seen guys play fine in just sneakers too, so if you play in very dry areas and you feel comfy now, and $ are an issue, don't sweat it too much.

Those also have the advantage of being able to replace spikes as they wear down...not an option on the spikeless ones. Whatever you decide, be liberal with weather protector when you first get them, and occasionally thereafter. Not just for wet, but to help prevent dirt and grit getting ground in. That can help them last and look good for along time.

If you like to walk when you play, then a decent (note: this doesn't mean they have to be expensive) pair of shoes can help with comfort at the very least.

I like having shoes that are waterproof just in case you run into some water on the course.

I bought a set of Nike TW 14 that are too big for me. Wore them like 5 times. Cleaned after each round. Shoes make a difference for sure. Not sure if ur interested?

What size?

Golf shoes vs. running shoes is not even a choice - you need to have a stable swing and having a pair of shoes that is not going to allow and slippage is essential IMO

Well seems like I should look around for a pair on sale then :)

Look at Holeoutgolfshop.com

I wouldn't remember buying them online though, unless you know for sure the fit and size. Like maybe replacing or having a second pair of one you already have. Besides trying for comfort, actual size and width can vary within the same manufacturer by style and uppers material, regardless what is says on the box..

I would use that money for rounds. Shoes help, but any pair of golf shoes will work. I would hit up Amazon or eBay and pay as little as possible.

Forget new clubs for the time being

I agree. Good shoes do not have to be high cost. Look for good deals on last years shoes. I buy new, but never current. I wait. You save as much as 60% by waiting.

Decent, comfortable golf shoes would be a necessity for me. I simply cannot take the same swing, consistently, with running shoes. When you factor in slope, hilly lies, loose turf and moisture, their necessity only increases for me.

I always buy new but I never buy the current year's model. All of my shoes once retailed at over $120/pair but I can't remember the last time I spent more than $50 or so for golf shoes.

Back