Younger guys (college aged kids) on the course

TIGolfer1996

Reaction score
Handicap
Okay, so this is going to seem very rant-like. But it got me thinking:
Within the past week I played golf at a course near some family up in East Tennessee, I was paired up with a couple and an older gentleman. We were all getting along great and what not, small talk, etc. until a hole where I'm reading a putt for birdie and I thought someone was going to putt ahead of me, so I sit there reading and in a very demanding tone the man in the couple says "Uh, either get out of the way or finish that out" now, that's not what irked me, I genuinely thought that someone else was out on the other side and I was waiting.

So I finished the putt and moved on, thinking not much of it, well, every back swing he's chattering away with other members of the group and I don't say a word because I don't want to come off as rude and snobbish. So, then on the 18th, I'm standing diagonal to him swinging and my club I'm holding teeters slightly in the crook of my arm. He turns to me and just plainly hisses "Could you stop moving that club while I'm swinging?" Here's the kicker, he has not addressed the ball.

So here this guy is, asking me to stop this and stop that (there were other incidents and details I've omitted for anonymity) while he's in his setup, meanwhile nearly all day he's chattering during my tee shots. I realize I was at fault for the two described incidents themselves, but he addressed them as if I had just committed some sacrilege. No "please, thanks" or anything. Sometimes I feel my elders feel all young people have no respect for the game, which is very heartbreaking since this game is my passion. Is that what any of you think? Because if so I want to know what I can do to help reverse that opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's really no excuse for treating you that gruffly.

This thread is Kinda hard to follow . My advice is to just treat it like the "rub of the green"

It's sounds like this couple was probably out for their quick and quiet round and some whippersnapper ruined their day.
Nonetheless, let the water roll off your back and carry on.

I don't mind playing with younger people, especially when they are In the group ahead of me spitting sunflower seeds on the green. Lol

That really happened, but I really do enjoy playing with anybody, as long as we are having a good time. No need for that grouch to speak at you that way, very rude of him.

I just want want to play and enjoy good company, I don't care how old people are.

Ken

There's always bad apples, no matter the demographic. Don't let hem get to you.

I'm not sure what this has to do with younger guys. I've played with guys in their 40's and 50's that act the same way.

There no excuse to treat you like that, it's a shame. People are people, some people are raised better then others. Some choose to be rotten apples for whatever reason. I see it oh too often, many people just unhappy.

Seen it before. Sorry to hear it happened to you.

Sorry you had to put up with that. As an old fart I've played with a lot of college students over the years. 99% are great kids! but there is that small percentage that makes you wonder how they were raised!

What does this thread have to do with younger guys? Did you get there ages? Either way I've been playing golf for awhile now ( I'm in my late twenties) and if something is bothering us well say that. Granted we still talk trash to each other. But are never disrespectful in the way you are describing.

I'Ve honestly seen more older folks act that way....

Have to be honest not sure who the "younger guy" is. you or the other guy???

I'll play with anyone as long as they respect the game and have fun

I've had guys from all age brackets act like that. You can either choose to ignore the idiots or let them get under your skin.
In almost 40 years of golf, I'm surprised I haven't run into more jerks like that.

Younger guys (college aged kids) on the course

I've had guys from all age brackets act like that. You can either choose to ignore the idiots or let them get under your skin.
In almost 40 years of golf, I'm surprised I haven't run into more jerks like that.

This. I've had worse experiences with the 50+ age bracket than the 21+ crowd personally. Not that that is saying anything either. Just is what it is. Some people are donkeys

I'll play with anyone as long as they respect the game and have fun
Same here.

One of my most fun rounds recently was with a couple college guys. One was terrible like me, so I had someone to commiserate with, the other was significantly better and he was great about making you feel good about your good shots. They were both laid back and a lot of fun. On the other hand, I played with a couple old retired guys who were the biggest grouchy killjoys you could ask for. Cursing at every shot, slamming their clubs into the ground, just all around no fun to play with.

I don't think age has anything to do with anything. It's all about attitude.

Same here.

One of my most fun rounds recently was with a couple college guys. One was terrible like me, so I had someone to commiserate with, the other was significantly better and he was great about making you feel good about your good shots. They were both laid back and a lot of fun. On the other hand, I played with a couple old retired guys who were the biggest grouchy killjoys you could ask for. Cursing at every shot, slamming their clubs into the ground, just all around no fun to play with.

I don't think age has anything to do with anything. It's all about attitude.

Totally agree man. I try not to expect anything from anyone on the course. Just respect the game and enjoy yourself.

Not sure where the young guys thing is coming from but, as one of them, I wouldnt dream of acting like that. Then again, I was raised to be respectful, practice what you preach, and not be a walking contradiction.

#1 rule: Don't be a d!ck.

Some people are just grumpy. Don't let it bother you.

~Rock

I think the OP was the younger guy and the older couple were being pretty disrespectful. I have run into the situation before and it can get pretty annoying. The best advice has been stated in prior posts to not let it get to you, as most golfers out there are courteous no matter what age others in the group are.

Sounds like an isolated incident that I would brush off. I don't think it's anymore than that. It's not an indication that young folks don't respect the game just a grumpy older man.

This thread is Kinda hard to follow . My advice is to just treat it like the "rub of the green"
How is it hard to follow? The story is straight forward. And how is it anything like 'rub of the green'? You liken him getting yelled at to your ball coming to rest in a divot or the wind blowing the ball on the green?

Eh, always someone out there to take you down, I'd let it go and just move on.

To clarify, I'm the younger guy(18)

Back