Course Review: The Oregon Golf Club

tequila4kapp

Tom Watson called to say “Hi”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
Located approximately 8 miles south of Portland is The Oregon Golf Club, a country club course designed by former PGA tour player and native Oregonian, Peter Jacobsen. OGC has been rated the top private course in the state and was formerly the home to a silly season PGA tour event.

Among locals, the course is said to be atop “Pete’s Mountain.” This is both a nod to the local boy designer and a big clue about the type of golf that awaits you.

OGC's spectacular clubhouse. It is even nicer on the inside.

Practice area
The Oregon Golf Club has excellent facilities which are equally great for practice or to prepare for the day’s round.

Driving Range – The range has both mats and grass stations, and includes maybe 5 – 7 stalls which are covered by a permanent structure for protection from the elements. The range is clearly large enough for golfers to hit every club in their bag and includes numerous clearly marked targets, though on this trip I did not see anything to indicate distances.

Over and above the nuts and bolts facet of the range, the reader should understand that the range is nice. Golf balls were set out in advance and extra balls were placed in mini-staff bags, one located at each hitting station. The mats were of superior quality, having an unusual amount of grassy-like texture and sponginess to them. The range utilizes the slope of the mountain such that the extremely nice clubhouse is behind us and we look out over the range to see Mt. Hood on the horizon behind our targets. This is a great driving range.

Putting Greens
– The course features two primary practice greens. As they had also been punched, they replicated conditions on the course (I have been here before and know that the practice greens are typically perfectly maintained and are an excellent example of what the golfer will face on the course, both in terms of condition and speed). The practice greens are medium to large in size and have more than enough practice holes to accommodate a number of players, as well as giving us many different types of putts.

Chipping / Sand
- OGC’s practice facilities also feature a designated short game area. This area has two separate greens, each with its own bunker. This allows the golfer to practice a variety of greenside shots both inside and outside the bunkers. I did not see fairway bunkers. It may be possible to play fairway bunker shots to the driving range, though the orientation of the short game area to the range likely means it wasn’t designed for that purpose.

Grade A

The morning view from the formal dining room overlooking the range. Mount Hood in the distance.

Course conditions
Course conditions at The Oregon Golf Club were just short of absolutely perfect, but were nevertheless extremely good.

Tee boxes
- Tees were level, well-marked and showed virtually no signs of prior play.

Fairways – We have had a few days of rain but the fairways were perfectly mowed, dry and firm. OGC smartly places two sand / grass containers in the middle of each fairway to enable and encourage players to repair fairway divots. This helps keep conditions nice.

Rough – This is an area where the course had a small blemish. I noticed that weeds were present in the first cut of rough. This doesn’t affect playability and is merely a visual blemish. Perhaps it is an indication of the quality of everything else at OGC that this small imperfection stood out. For what it is worth, I have not experienced this during previous rounds at OGC.

Sand Traps – We don’t need a lot of words here. They were perfect.

Greens – The greens had not yet fully recovered from being recently sanded and punched. Although they were a bit bumpy on this trip, having played here before I know they are typically perfect.

Grade: A-

View from the Par 3 4th hole's tee box. Lake left, vineyards in the foreground and Mount Hood in the distance (apologies for the crappy i-phone photo)

Layout
The Oregon Golf Club features four sets of ‘regular’ tees, as well as a couple of mixed tees that are also officially rated. The four primary sets of tees are as follows:
Black – 7052 / 74.8 / 145
Silver – 6629 / 72.5 / 136
Orange – 6081 / 69.7 / 133
Green – 5376 / 66.5 / 128​

The course and slope ratings accurately indicate that OGC is a stout test of one’s game. While there are a solid mixture of tee options for assorted skill levels, the course is quite challenging from any distance because of its topography – which is decidedly mountainous - and the tough greens.

If there is a flat area on this course besides tee boxes I have yet to find it. On virtually every shot we are faced with some amount of uphill, downhill or side hill lie. Sometimes it is subtle. Sometimes it is pronounced. Often time it is a combination of side and up/down hill. Simply stated, the course will punish the golfer who doesn’t know how to manage this situation, regardless of their handicap.

Beyond topography, know that this is a wonderfully diverse layout. The track includes some outright hard holes, several that give the golfer fun risk / reward options, a few opportunities to score, some target golf and a number of holes that should make us think. I sometimes think the quality of the design gets lost in the difficulty of facing one challenging shot after another.

Two words of warning should you get the opportunity to play OGC: although it was great this trip, the course has a reputation for being very muddy in the valleys (i.e., poor drainage); and this may be the only course I’ve ever played that I would not even try to walk.

Now for the best part: the scenic setting. The course is bordered on several sides by ultra-luxurious homes, many of which have their own vineyards. Numerous holes (and the driving range) provide incredible views of Mount Hood. Some holes provide panoramic views down to the Willamette River. Other holes are sculpted into nooks and crannies of the mountainous terrain to provide a serene picturesque setting. The grounds are typically immaculate. This is just a beautiful, beautiful golf course.

Grade: A

The view from the par 4 9th's green. The 7th's green is to the left. The 8th green is straight ahead beyond the lake. The 9th's tee box is to the right. Note the peekaboo view of Mount Hood over the 8th green.

Pace of play
We were the second group off for a morning tournament and finished in 4:45. Prior rounds at OGC have been closer to the 3 hour range. I will give OGC a bit of a pass on this more recent slow round as the author spent an inordinate amount of time looking for wayward shots, play was “cart path only” and the tournament setting doesn’t always lend itself to speedy play.

Grade: B+

Price
I have played the course a few times as the guest of a member. On this day a regional golf group was able to host a tournament here. My Monday morning round set me back $95. Given the overall quality of the course and the opportunity to play a private facility, I think the price was extremely fair.

Grade: A

Amenities
The amenities at OGC are top shelf. I have been fortunate to set foot on some pretty nice properties. This may well be the nicest of them all. If I were in a position to join a country club and amenities were my top priority it is hard to imagine OGC being anything other than the slam dunk first choice.

Were the locker rooms available and clean? – The men’s locker room is superb, easily the nicest that I have been in. The décor, materials and quality of the facility make it clear that you are in a premium club.

Was there a person on the course selling drinks? – Yes and we encountered her several times. She was friendly and helpful.

Bathrooms on the course available? – There are bathrooms throughout the course and they are contained in actual buildings (no porta potties here), which were immaculately maintained.

Restaurants and/or Grill Room/Bar? – The OGC features a men’s grill and bar located just off the men’s locker room and a formal dining area. Both offer incredible views, with floor to ceiling windows which allow us to look out over the expanse of the driving range and course to see Mt. Hood in the distance.

Grade: A+

The par 3 8th hole

Overall
Although OGC routinely batters my golf game I never once have passed on the opportunity to play the course. Hopefully, the reasons are evident from the words and pictures included in this review – this is an extremely nice country club with wonderful service, incredibly luxurious amenities and a great track that is placed in the midst of one of the most scenic settings you will ever find. You should jump at the chance to play it if you are fortunate enough to get the opportunity.

Overall Grade: A

Last edited:
Nice ,very nice. I love golf in the PNW

I thought I'd add a few more photos outside the formal review.

The par 3 12th, looking at the green then looking back to the tiered tee boxes. It is early in the season - usually the plants are fully matured and blooming, making it even more beautiful

The view from the 13th (?) green down to the Willamette River

The tee shot on the par 4 9th hole. There is about 20 feet of almost flat ground between the sand bottles in the fairway.

The approach shot on the par 4 7th

A playing partner commented "I couldn't even afford to heat that house." Me too.

From the tees on #1, a long uphill par 5 (thanks for the swale of rough that splits the fairway!)

The putting greens

Dining room

Great review, and a great looking course!

Awesome review, Frank! That looks like an incredible course, although my game would surely do it no justice whatsoever :D The par 3 8th looks like a pretty darn scary tee shot.

Awesome review, Frank! That looks like an incredible course, although my game would surely do it no justice whatsoever :D The par 3 8th looks like a pretty darn scary tee shot.
After 6 straight months of being in the 80's and having my index to the lowest number ever, three words to describe my round: 1. 0. 2.

The course looks spectacular. Great review.

After 6 straight months of being in the 80's and having my index to the lowest number ever, three words to describe my round: 1. 0. 2.

Sounds kinda like my first time playing Chambers...best word I could use to describe is shell-shocked haha.

Nice write up Frank, the course looks amazing. Another gem of a design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you get to play there Frank?

How did you get to play there Frank?

Previous times as a guest. This time with NWGG, which was hosting a public tournament. It appears they will do other tournaments at private clubs in the area, all sponsored by Seamus golf. Check out their website - regular tournaments are slow play but fun and hit all the top public courses in the area. The Monday thing at private courses appears to be new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, well done Frank

Great review frank. What an awesome looking course

I think this has to be one of, if no thee, hardest course in the area. It is pretty with nice facilities but man, this course is a bear! No flat lies, every fairway is sloped which means a decent shot can easily end up where you don't want it to.

Great review. This is what I think of when I envision a PAC NW course.

Nice review, great looking course

Good looking course, thanks.

Those are great pics. Looks like a great course as well. Nice review!

Looks awesome..thanks! Love the pic from the 9th green.

Great review. Very nice course, I can see why it's at the top of the rankings. Thank you for posting the review.

Great review Frank. Sorry I missed it back in May.

Back