Do Dress Codes bother you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the course i would call my regular course has a "no denim" policy for only part of the year (spring/summer)...not sure i ever understood that. Either it's ok or it's not i would think? But then again, I can't see why you'd wear jeans in the summertime anyway to play golf from just a pure comfort standpoint. I wear jeans and a t-shirt pretty much all the time when i'm not in the office, but whether it's allowed or not, I'd never want to wear them on the course.

I can say this though...i'd never complain about someone on the course wearing jeans, even if it was against the dress code. Wouldn't bother me in the slightest. The earlier poster though that brings up the music...now that's an excellent point and something i try to tolerate, but absolutely disdain, and wish more courses had a rule about that...

I have absolutely no problem with dress cloths. I love my golf specific shorts/pants/polos. Everything is so comfortable I actually wear a lot of it day to day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO paying to play at the local course is the same as paying to play at the local gym basketball court. As long as i'm comfortable playing in the clothing I am wearing in any particular sport, it shouldn't matter. If it's any type of organized event though, dress code is completely acceptable.

I hate dress codes and I have actual left a course that enforces one even when I have a collared shirt in the car.

I feel it drives people away from the game that are just out there to drink a few beers and have fun. Guess what those people are still paying customers and help keep the course open.

Don't get me wrong I own 1000s of dollars worth of golf clothes/ golf appropriate clothing, but when I want to try and sneak out for 9 after work (I wear HiVis FR clothes) I'm not going to change my clothes to appease dumb archaic rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No jeans should be on a golf course.
Collared shirts should be worn on a golf course.

I STRONGLY support a dress code. It makes perfect sense to me.

This is my feeling as well

IMO paying to play at the local course is the same as paying to play at the local gym basketball court. As long as i'm comfortable playing in the clothing I am wearing in any particular sport, it shouldn't matter. If it's any type of organized event though, dress code is completely acceptable.
IIRC, the local gym wont let you wear loafers or cleats on a basketball court ... you need the proper shoes. So yeah, it kind of does matter to a degree.

I support the dress code it seems to keep some of the punks that cause trouble off the course

IIRC, the local gym wont let you wear loafers or cleats on a basketball court ... you need the proper shoes. So yeah, it kind of does matter to a degree.
Fwiw, that may be an insurance thing. Basketball courts in health clubs are ridiculously expensive to insure.

It amazes me that some can have this much angst over golf courses having dress codes.

If you don't want to worry about a dress code, then don't play at a course that has a dress code (I guess the only time this becomes a problem is if there isn't a golf course near you without a dress code, and for that I can sympathize). I don't quite understand the hostility towards a golf course for wanting to enforce their dress code, as nobody can force you to play there. Seems like some maybe are upset that the course isn't letting them do whatever they want, I don't know.

Ah well, we all worry about different things in life.

Then there's the antiquated dress codes at some courses.... no shorts or skirts (or skorts) shorter than 5" above the knee. I'm 6' tall. Nike, Adidas, Puma, etc., stop making shorts and stuff so short if they're not allowed anywhere. They don't dock Lexi Thompson, Michelle Wie (6'2"), Jessica Korda, Brittney Lincicome, Anna Nordqvist, Sandra Gal...

More than 5" above the knee?

okay I think I made my point. They don't get docked for attire and the shorts, skirts, and skorts are shorter than 5" above the knee.

I think I am split on this issue. In general, I like a dress code, but I hate when that means I have to tuck in my shirt. I hate tucking in my shirt at the course. Some times it makes the shirt look dumb, some times it's uncomfortable, some times it shows off too much pants/shorts, etc. At the same time, I'll do it if it's required. So I guess the line for me is to require collared shirts, slacks or shorts and appropriate footwear. Now some people won't be happy until they can wear a sweatsuit every where and I am not one of those people. There is attire for certain activities and events and dressing appropriately is a part of it.

For anyone that feels there should not be a dress code would you ever wear jean shorts to play courses like Pebble or Pinehurst? Dress codes are great and should be in place just so long as they don't have strange rules like the color socks you could wear. Proper golf attire should be worn.

I honestly despise when people wear things like jeans on the course. If you have enough money to play the game, you have enough to dress appropriately on the course.
You don't have to dress like a PGA Pro, but for god sakes wear a polo and some decent shorts or slacks.

For anyone that feels there should not be a dress code would you ever wear jean shorts to play courses like Pebble or Pinehurst? Dress codes are great and should be in place just so long as they don't have strange rules like the color socks you could wear. Proper golf attire should be worn.
I have no qualms with there being dress codes.

Then there's the antiquated dress codes at some courses.... no shorts or skirts (or skorts) shorter than 5" above the knee. I'm 6' tall. Nike, Adidas, Puma, etc., stop making shorts and stuff so short if they're not allowed anywhere. They don't dock Lexi Thompson, Michelle Wie (6'2"), Jessica Korda, Brittney Lincicome, Anna Nordqvist, Sandra Gal...

More than 5" above the knee?

okay I think I made my point. They don't get docked for attire and the shorts, skirts, and skorts are shorter than 5" above the knee.

I would imagine that the Tour is strongly encouraging those girls to wear those skirts/shorts.

Dress codes that dictate short length are a little too stuffy for my tastes. I have the opposite problem, I'm so short that the bermuda shorts that fit my robust posterior look like capris (its not a good look) and would not fit many course dress codes. And whats with courses (usually private CCs) not allowing hats indoors? A hat looks tidier than my 5 hour golf course sweat-screen hat hair! Rant over.

I don't mind dress codes, but I also don't mind no dress codes. What other people wear doesn't matter to me. As long as I'm comfortable, that's all I care about. I've golfed in jeans before when it's colder and it's not too bad. Don't know that I'd do it anymore though. Usually just throw some long Johns on underneath.

I really don't care either way. They are just clothes, after all. I like to dress well on the course, and take pride in the fact that I can do it cheaply, but I do it because I want to, not because I'm supposed to or have to.

A lot of courses where I grew up had very loose, if not nonexistent, dress codes and I've seen well dressed players tear a course up as well as guys in jean shorts and wife beaters treat a crappy muni course as if it were Augusta. I'm completely over judging a book by its cover.

If a course has a dress code, then fine. Enforce it. If not, no big deal either. Its all about the game to me.

I wear whatever the rules are for the club or public course i am playing. The membership in a private club have every right to make and keep any rule they want. More grey with public course. Still, at the First Tee program they preach manners, proper dress and rules as tenants of this game.

Fwiw, that may be an insurance thing. Basketball courts in health clubs are ridiculously expensive to insure.
It might be, but it might just as easily be that they don't want people f'ing up the hardwood. I know it's an apples and oranges comparison (because wearing jeans isn't going to physically damage the golf course), but it does demonstrate that every sport does have a code of dress they expect people to abide by, for one reason or another.

I don't quite understand the hostility towards a golf course for wanting to enforce their dress code, as nobody can force you to play there. Seems like some maybe are upset that the course isn't letting them do whatever they want, I don't know.
Are we reading the same thread? I don't see any hostility. Just because people appreciate dress codes doesn't mean they're hostile to people/courses that don't have and/or enforce them. This is a thread filled with opinion ... no need to demonize people who like dress codes.

ETA: I misread Mulligan9111, my apologies.

Last edited:
I appreciate golf traditions such as a dress code. As a kid playing golf things like rules, etiquette, and dress code were firmly taught and enforced. To this day I have never played without at least a collared shirt. I do occasionally play in jeans, although they aren't standard denim by any stretch, pun intended. I also live in a place where we may not see high temps above 70F until mid-June. So when I'm wearing jeans I am also fairly well layered to stay warm. For example today's 9 holes were played in low 40's F temps with gusty winds.

Dress codes don't bother me at all. Do I think it's stuffy? Hell yeah, but courses have the right to choose what they want. I have played places that don't have the "standard" dress code, and I did not have any worse a time than places that do. I did still dress to the standard, but that was by choice.

Are we reading the same thread? I don't see any hostility. Just because people appreciate dress codes doesn't mean they're hostile to people/courses that don't have and/or enforce them. This is a thread filled with opinion ... no need to demonize people who like dress codes.

I think he's for the dress code. He said he doesn't understand the hostility towards a course for enforcing one. You may of read that wrong, or maybe I did.

I think he's for the dress code. He said he doesn't understand the hostility towards a course for enforcing one. You may of read that wrong, or maybe I did.
Nope, looks like I misread it. My apologies!

I will admit I have not read every post here, but I am wondering why anybody cares what someone in another group is wearing???!!!

Golfers should wear whatever they are comfortable golfing in, plain and simple.

If what someone else wears bothers you, then you are the one with the problem. If someone joining my group is wearing jeans and a t-shirt, then yippee, go for it, I don't care!

I have been a member at 3 private clubs where dress codes were strictly enforced and it was annoying to say the least. I hit a shot once and didn't relaize my shirt came untucked and I was warned by a marshall... get a life!

I also played at a course in the summers that was in a cottage area, and they didn't have a dress code. I used to wander over sometimes and play in my swim trucks and a t-shirt, and I loved it, it was so relaxing.

So if someone can give me a valid reason why we need dress codes, I am all for listening... And if you can tell me why the outfit on someone 2 holes ahead of you matters to you, then let me hear it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back