Do Dress Codes bother you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthweasel

Reaction score
Handicap
When I golf I typically wear a water-wicking "athletic" shirt and either athletic shorts if it is warm or athletic pants if it is a bit cooler. On extremely rare occasions I will roll out there in jeans. That is just the garb I am comfortable in.

Lately I have been to a couple courses that require "collered shirts, NO DENIM, bermuda shorts okay."

Really? Aren't we past that? Has anyone ever been having a good round and all the sudden the great unwashed hordes invade their space and, because they saw someone in a baseball jersey and jeans they suddenly started going shank-o-potamus rex on it, couldn't putt...seems unlikely.

It feels like an antiquated dress code that does not match up with times when people wear much different garb. Ultimately it also feels like an elitish snob maneuver to keep out those less...lets say economically advantaged. I actually have a friend who at least twice has declined to join us for rounds I was paying for because he disliked the dress codes. I do too, though not so far as to rule certain courses out.

But perhaps I am wildly off base. Maybe there are some of you out there who get distracted if they see someone not wearing an over-priced polo and those butt-ugly bermuda shorts. Yeah, that is my bias showing through...I have a closet full of polos, most of them logod (which is your first clue someone else paid for them...) by some vendor or other...I just find them uncomfortable.

Anyway, idly curious what other people's thoughts are. Do you truly enjoy rounds more based on what other golfers are wearing?

I have never played at a course that didn't have a dress code that includes local muni's. Not sure where the over priced comes from, shoot the Wal-Mart sells Ben Hogan gear for dirt cheap. I think the dress code has come a long way and lot of great clothing is available.

When I golf I typically wear a water-wicking "athletic" shirt and either athletic shorts if it is warm or athletic pants if it is a bit cooler. On extremely rare occasions I will roll out there in jeans. That is just the garb I am comfortable in.

Lately I have been to a couple courses that require "collered shirts, NO DENIM, bermuda shorts okay."

Really? Aren't we past that? Has anyone ever been having a good round and all the sudden the great unwashed hordes invade their space and, because they saw someone in a baseball jersey and jeans they suddenly started going shank-o-potamus rex on it, couldn't putt...seems unlikely.

It feels like an antiquated dress code that does not match up with times when people wear much different garb. Ultimately it also feels like an elitish snob maneuver to keep out those less...lets say economically advantaged. I actually have a friend who at least twice has declined to join us for rounds I was paying for because he disliked the dress codes. I do too, though not so far as to rule certain courses out.

But perhaps I am wildly off base. Maybe there are some of you out there who get distracted if they see someone not wearing an over-priced polo and those butt-ugly bermuda shorts. Yeah, that is my bias showing through...I have a closet full of polos, most of them logod (which is your first clue someone else paid for them...) by some vendor or other...I just find them uncomfortable.

Anyway, idly curious what other people's thoughts are. Do you truly enjoy rounds more based on what other golfers are wearing?

No jeans should be on a golf course.
Collared shirts should be worn on a golf course.

I STRONGLY support a dress code. It makes perfect sense to me.

This may sound snobbish - that is not my intention.
Some places may be under the impression that well dressed golfers might be more likely to take care of the course than slovenly dressed golfers.
Other places are under the belief that golf is a "gentleman's sport" and, as such, should be treated (ie: dressed) with respect.
Then, there are the places where golfers go and play, enjoy themselves, and nobody cares how they dress or what they look like.
Bottom line - it is your money, spend it wherever and however you want.
But not everyone thinks (or dresses) the same, and that is OK also.

Bother me to the point where I can't play? Not at all.

But to say it doesn't irk me when I see someone out there in a wife beater and shorts that are hanging at their knees, would be a lie.

Style and comfort are no longer foreign concepts with golf-related apparel. And you can find deals all over the place for clothing these days.

So no, dress codes don't bother me, and I actually prefer them on golf courses.

You can buy comfortable, moisture wicking polos these days for 10 bucks our less, and similar shorts or slacks for not much more. So "over priced" doesn't even enter into the issue - sure you can buy a $100 polo if you want, but you can do the same with t shirts and jeans.

Golf was once (and to some extent still is) considered a gentleman's game, and the (VERY easy to follow) dress code gives us some tie to that history. I like it. It's not like they're asking you to wear a jacket and tie like golfers were required to wear in the early 1900's.

Completely agree!

You can buy comfortable, moisture wicking polos these days for 10 bucks our less, and similar shorts or slacks for not much more. So "over priced" doesn't even enter into the issue - sure you can buy a $100 polo if you want, but you can do the same with t shirts and jeans.

I couldn't imagine wearing jeans when trying to stay cool on a summer day!

Golf was once (and to some extent still is) considered a gentleman's game, and the (VERY easy to follow) dress code gives us some tie to that history. I like it. It's not like they're asking you to wear a jacket and tie like golfers were required to wear in the early 1900's.

I vote we go back to the suits and knickers!!!!

Absolutely. It does not cost and arm and a leg to dress in a collared shirt and pants. Even though I am way more comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt I have no problem dressing to meet a dress code.

My golf clothes are some of the most comfortable clothes I own. I have no problem wearing them.

Yes some can get expensive but you can find deals on everything. It's a very small portion of my golf budget. Adding a couple pairs of pants/shorts and a few shirts is usually enough each year. I would say on average I keep my stuff 3 years so I usually have 6-10 shirts and 4-6 pants/shorts to choose from. I rarely spend over $100 a year on clothes. So no a dress code does not bother me. I actually prefer it for its comfort and being able to have something's with a little more style than my usual clothes.

Agreed. I'm not stuck up, but there's just something pleasant about playing golf with people in proper golf attire. Yes, the definition of what is proper golf attire changes over time, but for now, as Dan says, it's no jeans and collared shirts, at a minimum.

(Note: exception made at any time for Wardo's leprechaun outfit)

One of my favourite parts about going to the golf course is expecting people to act a bit more respectful and 'together' than I would going to somewhere like a shopping mall or grocery store. I think for many, a big part of going to their course is about playing the part and frankly, dressing the part.

All that said, I don't mind if a golf course overlooks the dress code, I just probably won't play golf there. It's not what I'm looking for in my experience.

I'm with you, I feel that dressing appropriately is a part of the game. Jeans shouldn't be worn on course and wearing a collar is a pretty easy task to complete ;)

I had some guys compete in competition on my course show up in jeans: wasn't pretty.

Well said!

I absolutely agree with a dress code. There is a certain decorum required within the game of golf and I believe a dress code is a big part of that. You need to have respect for the course, your fellow players and the rules of the game to fully appreciate it I believe. Too often I see the guys slinging around in sleeveless shirts and other uncivilized attire being the ones driving their carts right onto the tee box, or right next to the green. If a dress code can keep those guys off the course then it's good for the game. Jeans are the most uncomfortable thing to wear in almost any situation, so I don't get that at all. Dress slacks are cooler and more comfortable in any environment than jeans. You can buy cheap golf attire at Walmart so over-priced isn't an excuse.

And what's with this "fixing your ball mark" and "keeping up with the group in front of you" stuff? So snobby.

I side more with the OP than anything. I don't think it hurts anybody to wear jeans or a t-shirt on the course. Really.

But if I go to a course with a dress code, I abide by it and have no issues with the dress code being there.

I don't see how it's any different than a dress code at a restaurant. If don't like it, no biggie, just don't go.

I don't see how it's any different than a dress code at a restaurant. If don't like it, no biggie, just don't go.
Exactly. Plenty of options. I would also like to think there are better ways to judge a man's character than with whether or not he wears jeans to play a game invented by drunk Scotsmen wearing skirts.

Exactly. Plenty of options. I would also like to think there are better ways to judge a man's character than with whether or not he wears jeans to play a game invented by drunk Scotsmen wearing skirts.

I don't think it's a matter of a character judgement? Hell, some of the worst characters in society lately have been wearing shirts and ties. Personally I think it's about creating an atmosphere where everyone feels comfortable. Atleast that was the argument they made for my high school dress code

I don't think it's a matter of a character judgement? Hell, some of the worst characters in society lately have been wearing shirts and ties. Personally I think it's about creating an atmosphere where everyone feels comfortable. Atleast that was the argument they made for my high school dress code
No. You're right. you never made the character argument. But many others in this thread have.

This is well said.

What bothers me is when they have a dress code and they do not enforce it.

10000000%

dress codes at golf courses are just fine with me. Although I see them broken just about every time out and don't really think twice about it. I have seen guys wearing $300 worth of golf attire act stupid and mess up the course so I don't think dress has anything to do with it either.

Its already been established that proper, affordable golf attire can be found.

I guess if you don't want to play a course because of a dress code it's your right to do so but I just don't understand...and that's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back