23bdebe1fe885d40cfa207ac10f7ddf6.jpg

So ya think I'll ever be able to tell her no?

The isn't even fair.

Nope. You won't.

Get used to it :-D

The isn't even fair.

This is why I'm glad I have boys, one look like that and I would give in for sure...adorable.

The minor league team gave the boy's school tickets to an 11am game if they read 20 books or something like that and a parent can join them, so we are going to spend a day at the ball park. Should be a good time.

Had to make a tough choice and hold Kai back for another year of first grade. He is were he needs to be at the end of first grade but behind the rest of the class. One more year will be the best.

Had to make a tough choice and hold Kai back for another year of first grade. He is were he needs to be at the end of first grade but behind the rest of the class. One more year will be the best.

Dude it is tough. We are doing the same with our oldest. Holding her back in Kindergarten one more year. She's ready for first, but it's smarter to hold her back right now.

Dude it is tough. We are doing the same with our oldest. Holding her back in Kindergarten one more year. She's ready for first, but it's smarter to hold her back right now.
I feel like I let him down. Gotta be a better dad.

It's the tough choices that prove you are a great dad. It may be tough at first, but it sounds like the right decision, and will only matter in the positive ways as he gets older.

I would do it with either of my kids if the need presents itself.

I felt the same way, but sitting down and talking to her she is learning at her pace. The biggest issue is she is the youngest.

I wouldn't feel bad at all dude. From what I know you are a great dad and although it's tough, I have to remind myself they are kids and will learn at their pace.

You are smart to do it, especially with a boy. I have a son(17), and two daughters(15 and 9) and boys develop mentally and emotionally slower than girls. We held back our son when he was 6 and it was the smartest thing we ever did. He was having a tough time reading in first grade but we were able to get him in some extra reading classes after school and get him caught up that school year. Don't beat yourself up over it, all kids are different and by the time they are in 3rd or 4th grade the disparity in reading and math skills evens out. My son has to work hard for his A's and B's in high school compared to my freshman daughter who gets straight A's without trying but my son has skill in other areas - he's very popular and gets along with all types of people and is a damn hard worker.

The other thing we didn't know at the time is he wound up being a late bloomer physically as well and didn't his big growth spurt until he was 15 1/2. If we had not held him back he would have been one of the youngest and smallest and even more self conscious of his small size as a freshman. He's now 6' tall after growing 4" since last August. He lettered in water polo and track this year and would have had little chance to do that if we hadn't held him back. One thing I've learned as a parent of 3 is you can only guide them - they are all different and 70% of how they turn out is genetic.

Last edited:
You are smart to do it, especially with a boy. I have a son(17), and two daughters(15 and 9) and boys develop mentally and emotionally slower than girls. We held back our son when he was 6 and it was the smartest thing we ever did...If we had not held him back he would have been one of the youngest and smallest...

My son would be the youngest in his class, missing the cut date to start a year later by one week. We've already decided to wait a year before starting him based very much on what you've said above.

My son would be the youngest in his class, missing the cut date to start a year later by one week. We've already decided to wait a year before starting him based very much on what you've said above.

You're not considering this now but it's also a real help when they are able to drive at the beginning of their sophmore year. My son got has been able to drive himself and sister to school, sports functions, and help us run any errands when we are short on time. We were so thankful to have a 3rd driver that we can't wait until January until my daughter has her license as well. I will have more time for golf in the evenings instead of shuttling kids around!!

I'm currently thinking about delaying starting my 2.5 year old in Pre-K because it's in a private school he'll be in until Grade 8. My daughter was ready to go on time, but like most have said boys develop slower, and I even noticed when my daughter was in PreK 3, there were few boys, and a couple of them seemed like they weren't ready yet. The only problem is that if my youngest develops fast, I run the risk of having both boys (16 months apart) in the same grade, and I'm not sure how that'll affect the older one.

The fact you care enough to have it bother you and post it here shows you are a great dad. Don't beat yourself up Freddie. There's no guidebook to answer the tough parenting questions.

Happy Bubby! Taking in trivia time with our friends.

20203f600f67b5151d1c0bb04894b92b.jpg

The isn't even fair.

Just think of the poor boy that is going to date (or marry) her some day trying to tell her no.

She's adorable.

Just think of the poor boy that is going to date (or marry) her some day trying to tell her no.

She's adorable.

Thank you, as I tell my wife over my dead body!

Thank you, as I tell my wife over my dead body!

Exact reason why I'm glad I have a son. My daughter would be locked in a basement or attic and never let out. LOL

7c623d7358a14bb36b1f333e0e39549a.jpg

Hahahaha young buck turns 19 today

School year is winding down and all kind of fun things going on. Minor league ball game this week, last day of guest teaching Junior Achievment, Field Day next week, then the holiday and a short final week. Now that soccer is over and the house reno is wrapping up things are sort of settling down a little and I'll say it's about damn time. With a few other things I didn't list, that was easily the busiest stretch of months in my life.

We signed the boy up for an Adventure Camp thing this summer instead of the same old lame daycare he always goes to. They try to make 5 and 6 year old boys nap like only true morons would. A pretty big sacrifice on our part, but hopefully will get him around some new people and some new experiences.

Family life is good. Looking forward to a great summer.

What's adventure camp? We're trying to find things to get the kids in this summer. Trouble is they're still young; 2 and 3 (4 next month). Seems harder to find something for the little ones.

Really excited for summer though as well. We're kicking it off with a 3 night trip to the Dells. Pretty excited for that one. Kids are going to have a blast.

What's adventure camp? We're trying to find things to get the kids in this summer. Trouble is they're still young; 2 and 3 (4 next month). Seems harder to find something for the little ones.

Really excited for summer though as well. We're kicking it off with a 3 night trip to the Dells. Pretty excited for that one. Kids are going to have a blast.

Dude, I love the Dells! We all do and have gone three times in the last two years. Where are you going? I can give you some tips if you need them.

Adventure Camp (around here at least) is for kids that have completed kindergarten. They meet at a local YMCA in the morning and each week has a theme, with corresponding field trips. So, in science week they'll hit a museum and do other activities like that. Lots of day trips, lots of swimming, lots of going to the local parks.

Back