TaylorMade Upgrade Program - The Turn

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
http://taylormadegolf.com/upgrade

Looks like TM is going the route of Cell Phone carriers in an attempt to generate sales.

With The Turn, TaylorMade's new upgrade program, you'll gain access to the newest and most advanced equipment every season. For the first time, you'll have the best products in your bag and a clear advantage every time you tee it up.

I give them credit for trying something new. If you always want to play the hottest, newest release this is something interesting.

Interesting. Cool but I prefer to just buy outright.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TaylorMade Upgrade Program - The Turn

I'm actually a bit confused by it. Maybe I'm missing something but aren't you going to end up paying more vs trading in (meaning the traditional way) and buying the new model?

I'm actually a bit confused by it. Maybe I'm missing something but aren't you going to end up paying more vs trading in and buying the new model?

With 9.9% interest yes. Im guessing the only thing this does is guarantee trade in value. Your betting that the last 6 months is more then what trade in value is worth.

Interesting... I'd rather just buy and own them

With 9.9% interest yes. Im guessing the only thing this does is guarantee trade in value.

Yeah I'm sitting here with a calculator and pen and paper trying to figure it out. Maybe it's just simply a different demographic that is looking for something at a monthly rate.

not the route I would go down - especially paying interest on golf clubs, ehhhh.. but interesting move.

Yeah I'm sitting here with a calculator and pen and paper trying to figure it out. Maybe it's just simply a different demographic that is looking for something at a monthly rate.
I agree with u. I think they are trying to get those that can't afford to just spend a grand upfront and allow them to habe nice equipment even though they are essentially going to pay more. I would rather just play what I got and save up for them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Here is my analysis.

A set of P770 4-PW with tax runs 1139.29

Financed over 30 months they cost 1305.50 so you are paying $166.06 in finance charges.

You can opt to send them in at 24 months and begin a new contract, which means you are going to get $261.06 written off when you start a new contract.

So basically, in 2 years they are gonna give you about 95.00 in value as a trade in after covering finance charges.

So yeah, this program is absolute trash looking at the numbers.

It is interesting. But this sounds like a terrible investment lol.

Things must be bad there, IMHO.

It is interesting. But this sounds like a terrible investment lol.

Things must be bad there, IMHO.

Agreed, it is a terrible investment. This isn't a very classy move by TM imho. But if you can't do the math and think it's a sweet deal then more power to them.....

Nope, no thanks but I don't mind something different for others. It's fine and dandy to help those that need the financing, but I'd just rather buy outright for something like golf items. Also, you'd think for 10% APR they were selling things left and right, but I guess it is cheaper than a CC interest rate.

Also, this opens up the chance that something happens while playing and a club gets damaged, you are, for the lack of a better phrase, royally screwed, as Pre-Owned won't take it.

Interesting, but given the cost of new clubs, it can't be cost effective for the consumer. If it were they wouldn't be doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, but given the cost of new clubs, it can't be cost effective for the consumer. If it were they wouldn't be doing it.

Can you explain that further?

I think I mentioned in a thread a few months ago that I was waiting for a company to go this route, but I never imagined they'd make it such a brutal deal for the consumer.

Can you explain that further?

Paying 10% interest is steep. Atleast with cell phones you pay zero interest in most cases. 30 months later these clubs won't be worth much cause there will be something new out. Just like how an M2 hybrid that's $200 now is only worth $72 in PGA trade in value. They've only been out for a few months.

I wouldn't want to purchase clubs this way, but I can definitely see people using this.

The below is from the FAQ section of the TM website. I don't think it may be as bad of a deal as people think.

"We have partnered with Klarna to offer 0% APR promotions on certain purchases, including The Turn – TaylorMade Upgrade Program. The Annual Percentage Rate (APR) for standard, non-promotional purchases using Klarna is 19.99%."

If the APR is 0% as indicated above, lets say a $500 dollar driver on the 18 month plan, is purchased. that's going to be $27.78 per month. If you upgrade at 12 months, you paid $333 for the club for the year. If someone had spent 500 up front, would their trade in be worth 167 a year later when the new model came out? Maybe, but I think it would be almost a wash. It's fairly smart by TM as it potentially opens up a larger consumer base.
[h=2][/h]

The payments are over 30 months at $40 per for 4-PW with KBS tours.

The below is from the FAQ section of the TM website. I don't think it may be as bad of a deal as people think.

"We have partnered with Klarna to offer 0% APR promotions on certain purchases, including The Turn – TaylorMade Upgrade Program. The Annual Percentage Rate (APR) for standard, non-promotional purchases using Klarna is 19.99%."

If the APR is 0% as indicated above, lets say a $500 dollar driver on the 18 month plan, is purchased. that's going to be $27.78 per month. If you upgrade at 12 months, you paid $333 for the club for the year. If someone had spent 500 up front, would their trade in be worth 167 a year later when the new model came out? Maybe, but I think it would be almost a wash. It's fairly smart by TM as it potentially opens up a larger consumer base.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that they are going to let you pay $333 for a $500 club in 1 year and upgrade. Actually, that's not how any of this reads at all in my eyes. It definitely locks you in to brand loyalty, and that is an important aspect of this.

Unlike what I see with the cell phone carriers, this is missing the visible cost per month/payment of the program. Unless I am missing it, I went through all the way to inputting the billing information on the irons and there was no mention of a cost per month or payment of the program. If you are going to do something radically different, wouldn't it make sense to be a little bit more accessible and informative on things? That is, unless you know the deal isn't good....

I find it incredibly hard to believe that they are going to let you pay $333 for a $500 club in 1 year and upgrade. Actually, that's not how any of this reads at all in my eyes. It definitely locks you in to brand loyalty, and that is an important aspect of this.

Unlike what I see with the cell phone carriers, this is missing the visible cost per month/payment of the program. Unless I am missing it, I went through all the way to inputting the billing information on the irons and there was no mention of a cost per month or payment of the program. If you are going to do something radically different, wouldn't it make sense to be a little bit more accessible and informative on things? That is, unless you know the deal isn't good....

I agree that it locks you in, but the price, with a 0% apr as advertised, divided over 18 monthly payments, with the option to upgrade after 12 payments is exactly how it reads.
They get the club back after 12 months, can sell it again on their pre-owned site (once again marked up).

I wouldn't buy clubs this way, but I don't think it's the raking that some are making it out to be.

I agree that it locks you in, but the price, with a 0% apr as advertised, divided over 18 monthly payments, with the option to upgrade after 12 payments is exactly how it reads.
They get the club back after 12 months, can sell it again on their pre-owned site (once again marked up).

I wouldn't buy clubs this way, but I don't think it's the raking that some are making it out to be.

The print is interesting. It says 0% on certain purchases including The Turn. Does that mean all purchases with the The Turn? Otherwise its at 20%, which is quite high.

The print is interesting. It says 0% on certain purchases including The Turn. Does that mean all purchases with the The Turn? Otherwise its at 20%, which is quite high.

Not sure, but that's how I read it as well. At 20% this would be borderline predatory.

Back