TaylorMade Upgrade Program - The Turn

Not sure, but that's how I read it as well. At 20% this would be borderline predatory.

True but at 0% its not all that bad

True but at 0% its not all that bad

I agree, unless there's some hidden fees i'm not seeing, it could work out really well for some people.

I feel this is just a confusing way to get into the pockets of all the golfers out there who like new stuff but don't have $500-$1500 cash available to spend at any one time.

I actually think that this idea would REALLY work and rake in a ton of customers/cash if it was executed properly. Figure out a monthly payment for a full bag every 24 months and lure people in that way by making it a little cheaper than buying outright. You give up some cash on each club but you now gain a brand loyal customer because he's locked in.
From there you could offer "Woods only" packages, "irons wedges" packages etc etc.

Interesting program. Was hoping for an upgrade package for those that buy out right instead of financing.

Definitely an interesting concept, kudos to them for trying something new. Not for me, however.

I don't know about this, I know it's not for me though. Maybe some people will find it appealing, but financially, it just doesn't really make sense.

I have no problem with that. It gives people more options. It's basically like going to the corner rent to own store, there could be a market for that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I like seeing a company think outside of the box. Would I do it myself? No. But at least they are trying something new.

It depends heavily on the interest rate any more than about 2% and I'm out.

I'm honestly out anyway, I'd rather pay cash, but at a low interest rate or better yet 0% I think it could be a good deal for some people.

This assumes that guys aren't racking up credit card debt to buy clubs at 18.9% - so the Taylormade financing is actually a cheaper deal for a low credit limit card abuser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is actually quite horrible, and I have a feeling it will BLOW UP in their face.
https://taylormadegolf.com/upgrade-program-terms.html

If you read that link, the terms are 10000% percent for TMAG, and they can change everything about the program in their favor and the consumer is still bound by the original agreement to pay off the clubs with Klarma. The condition terms for the trade-in acceptance are very subjective. I would have them rather at least used the grading system on Taylormade pre-owned as the basis for acceptance.

I think the concept is a great one, but this iteration of it is not consumer friendly and as greater potential for a bad taste in the consumers mouth. IMO it amounts to nothing more than a big push to sell a bunch of product this year for the books.

It could be so much more. I good way to lock people into the brand, generate good revenue that is predictable, and open people up to the brand that would otherwise be shopping around for a more "affordable" set of irons.

I was really excited about this option (especially being somewhat of a TMAG fan), but after reading it, and going through the process of setting up a set of P770s, it felt more scamish than anything.

I like the idea of subscription--based equipment. This has already happened and is happening in other industries. Loans (which is what these are) aren't just for cars and houses.

Kind of strange, the numbers aren't horrible for someone that likes to finance things or doesn't have all the upfront cash but the trade in is pretty poor.

Next they will sell their sticks on lay away.

There's more than one way to buy brand loyalty, I guess. If you save $40 a month, then in two years you have about a grand to invest in new irons, and you didn't pay interest on it. Maybe I'm just getting older and a hair less inclined towards instant gratification, but this just screams "How to end up with a terrible credit rating."

This might be good for the chronic gear flippers out there who need the latest and greatest, but it's not for me.

It's like the car lease. It might work for some, but probably not for most.

I agree. When I find equipment I like, I like to stick with it, especially irons

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It's like the car lease. It might work for some, but probably not for most.

Well, except there are a couple of HUGE differences.
Car lease you are not paying for the full price of the car, but in many cases, half of it.
So with the lease of the car, your payments are far lower than they would be for breaking the value of the vehicle up into equal payments.

Interesting. I like the idea not the execution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is actually quite horrible, and I have a feeling it will BLOW UP in their face.
https://taylormadegolf.com/upgrade-program-terms.html

If you read that link, the terms are 10000% percent for TMAG, and they can change everything about the program in their favor and the consumer is still bound by the original agreement to pay off the clubs with Klarma. The condition terms for the trade-in acceptance are very subjective. I would have them rather at least used the grading system on Taylormade pre-owned as the basis for acceptance.

I think the concept is a great one, but this iteration of it is not consumer friendly and as greater potential for a bad taste in the consumers mouth. IMO it amounts to nothing more than a big push to sell a bunch of product this year for the books.

It could be so much more. I good way to lock people into the brand, generate good revenue that is predictable, and open people up to the brand that would otherwise be shopping around for a more "affordable" set of irons.

I was really excited about this option (especially being somewhat of a TMAG fan), but after reading it, and going through the process of setting up a set of P770s, it felt more scamish than anything.

The terms are definitely weighted in their favor, the biggest thing I have an issue with is the "We can change our minds at any time, and the we don't guarantee you'll be able to trade your clubs in even if you fill the insane requirements"

The rest of it is pretty similar to the cell phone thing, you have to turn the stuff in in a re-sellable condition. The best part of this, is assuming things go well, there will be a glut of used clubs to pick up directly from TMAG.

I honestly think a retailer could make a better go of making a program like this work vs an OEM.

What TMAG should do with this program is determine a "residual" value for a club in say 12 - 18 months...the same way a vehicle lease works. When someone leases a new club, their payments are based on the original MSRP of the club minus the residual value...example, $500 - $250 = $250 / 12 = $20.83 per month.

At the end of 12 months, the buyer returns the club to TM and it is then subject to inspection for excess wear and tear / valuation. If the club has damage, the buyer is billed for the damage (aka lost value), otherwise the buyer is done with that club and can repeat the process again.

The reality is, the residual value would probably be more like $100 in the scenario above...so the monthly payment would be $33.33 per month...and that still benefits TM, and honestly isn't a bad deal for consumers knowing that in 1 year they can swap to the newest driver and only have to pay $35 per month.

The backend of this is TM then has to figure out a remarketing process to get rid of the returned products--assuming the original buyer opts not to purchase it. For people seeking good, used clubs for a value...would you be willing to pay $100 - $150 for a 1 year old club in good to excellent condition? I would at least consider it...

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

As many have said love the idea, hate the execution. I personally love leasing cars, I get bored after a couple years, if someone can find a way to do something similar that makes it affordable I think it would be a huge success.

This would work for many people but not me. I find myself swapping and trading stuff to try other things and technically I wouldn't own any of this stuff. I also don't like to be backed into a corner when it comes to choosing a brand to solely play all of their equipment.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This would work for many people but not me. I find myself swapping and trading stuff to try other things and technically I wouldn't own any of this stuff. I also don't like to be backed into a corner when it comes to choosing a brand to solely play all of their equipment.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That right there is why I think a retailer could have better success with a program like this. That way the customers would still have an option to try different brands, and the retailer would be able to lock the customers into their shop. I think DSG is probably big enough to pull it off.

Back