Is Sergio now the favorite at The Open

obedt

Reaction score
Handicap
Creciendo
Gotta admit, I always thought Sergio's best chances where at The Open or the PGA Championship. Now that the monkey's off his back, armed with his newfound positive outlook, is Sergio now the favorite at Royal Birkdale?

His game is strong so he had a chance IMHO but I'm not sure I would call him the favorite

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

I'd think he's got a shot, but I don't know that he's the favorite.

I dont think he will be he favorite, but probably one of the top 6 or 7 favorites

I know where you guys are coming from. Just can't see who the true favorite is.

Who would you categorize as the favorite though? Dustin's injury is a factor. Maybe Rahm at this point?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I don't know that there is a favorite at this point. DJ is likely to be a contender, assuming his back isn't too bad. Rahm has been playing well, Hadwin could be a contender, zach johnson has done well on that side of the pond, the list just kinda goes on and on. Sergio vs the field, I'm taking the field.

I wouldn't call him a favorite, but I've always felt that Sergio, on any given day, has the talent to win whatever tournament he's in...but I think up until now his head got in the way. Maybe with a green jacket he can work out whatever it is that causes him to choke in the big ones.

He's got as good as chance as any. I feel like he will win another major or two before his career is done.

I wouldn't call him a favorite, but I've always felt that Sergio, on any given day, has the talent to win whatever tournament he's in...but I think up until now his head got in the way. Maybe with a green jacket he can work out whatever it is that causes him to choke in the big ones.

It would be kind of awesome to see him get the grand slam.

He will be one of the top 7 or so favorites but don't think he will be at the top of that list.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I like Sergio.... I'm probably wrong, but I just feel like Phil and Sergio got kinda shafted by having to go up against Tiger in his prime, lol.

I don't mean for this to be too negative - he won and congrats to him for it - but Rose gifted that to him. He still hasn't made a putt when it really mattered. Maybe winning one removes his mental block under pressure. I tend to think he is who he is, which means one green jacket is it.

I don't put Sergio at a favorite in a major just because won his first one. I am happy and glad he won but the open draw plays as much as a role in who wins as does the talent. I think he is in a group of guys with a chance but not a clear cut favorite

Not in my opinion. If DJ is healthy and playing well then he will be it. If Rory or Speith get on a roll, they would be a favorite over Sergio.

It would be great to see him go on and get another Major but I just don't see how any one player can really be considered the favourite. There are too many good players now that can win on any given day

I can't read no good.

I think he's certainly one of the favorites, but I thought that before his Masters win. He has game, no doubt about it. It'll be interesting to see what this first major win does for him and his confidence and his play in upcoming majors.

I don't mean for this to be too negative - he won and congrats to him for it - but Rose gifted that to him. He still hasn't made a putt when it really mattered.
To a small extent I agree. His putt to save par on 13 may have put some pressure on Rose for the birdie that he missed.

Then the Eagle putt he sunk, I'd say those putts really mattered.

I dont think he will ever be the favorite at any major unfortunately just because of how streaky his putting can be. Maybe that changes now that the pressure is off

He's obviously playing well and could be factor along with 50 other guys!!! As we get closer we need to see if he is still playing well!

I don't mean for this to be too negative - he won and congrats to him for it - but Rose gifted that to him. He still hasn't made a putt when it really mattered. Maybe winning one removes his mental block under pressure. I tend to think he is who he is, which means one green jacket is it.

I see and understand this point, but disagree. First of all, Rose & Sergio played GREAT golf to get into the position they were in and then again played a GREAT 18 holes to separate themselves from the field. After 54 there were some thoroughbreds in the field behind them and most faltered. Rose and Garcia in the final group shot 69s, when the best round of the day was a 67. There weren't better rounds to be had and that was mainly because of the difficulty of the greens.

Everyone missed putts, so to single out Rose's misses is a tough way to look at it. Garcia's miss on 18 was probably a shorter putt than any of Rose's misses. Plus Sergio hit a shot as good or better than Rose's on 16. Had Rose won, would it have looked like Sergio gave it to him because of that miss? Not sure - again, everyone missed putts. Both played great golf and treated us to amazing drama. Ultimately the better ball striker putted just well enough to earn it imo.

Gotta admit, I always thought Sergio's best chances where at The Open or the PGA Championship. Now that the monkey's off his back, armed with his newfound positive outlook, is Sergio now the favorite at Royal Birkdale?

Not the favorite, but definitely one of the strong contenders. Sergio is notoriously streaky, and his putting still needs work. That being said though, if he shows up hitting his irons and wedges like he did at Augusta, AND now that he's broken the "Majors Ice", he's got a great shot.

I don't think he's the favorite. While he definitely played a great Masters, he hasn't put together consistent runs throughout his whole career. And if his putting doesn't get better (yes I know he won, but he missed some big putts that he should have made), I feel like the Open conditions will keep him middle of the pack. That being said, I'd love to see him at the top fighting for a win.

Back